Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
A122 Subfloor

I will be picking up my new Rockwood A122 on Friday. I am really looking forward to getting back into camping and the A frame looks like it is going to be a blast. One question I have (of many) deals with the subfloor. I noticed while Inspecting the underside of the A122, that the bottom side of the subfloor is exposed to the elements. On my old travel trailer, the bottom of the trailer was covered by a moisture barrier, protecting the subfloor from splashes and road debris. I am wondering if it would be advantages to spray it with undercoating, or if is left this way for a reason. Any ideas are appreciated.

DaveD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Welcome and congrats getting a cool rig!

If you put any coating there, you'll void the warranty. I believe that part has a 25 year warranty. Don't forget to get the FR lifetime warranty for only $100.

Enjoy your new TT!

ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Mostly Harmless
As ko777 said, the subfloor must be left uncoated so it can breathe. Among your materials on Friday should be info about the floor including the part about its warranty. We all had the same worry initially too, so you're right on target with the rest of us. After 3 years, I no longer worry about it.
Be sure to come back often and ask whatever's on your mind or just shoot the breeze. This is a friendly bunch. Welcome!
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Congrats on your new camper. I just bought an A122S. I have been out three nights now. I'd probably sleep in it while at home except my DW is already questioning whether I love the camper more than her. I do reserve the right to use it for napping without questioning.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Dave, congrats on your new trailer! Be sure to read your manual and send in any warranty paperwork on the individual appliances...The fridge, fan, furnace had seperate warranties to be sent to the company that made them. Dont apply any undercoat to the floor-not if you want it covered under warranty.

LOL Tom! My DH often finds me in his shop, sitting inside El Beso! Conversation goes something like this: "Whatcha doin, just sitting?" And I say "Yep" (he knows I am daydreaming and planning her next personalized change....I think not much will surprise him since applying those swinging monkeys on her side for me...haha

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Thanks for all the advise. I will be sure to send in all my warranties. Although, I'm still leery about the exposed compressed board on her undersides. I'll leave it alone. I had a 17 foot Layton a few years ago. It had a roof leak in one of the seams that I did not catch one winter. When we took her out in the spring, the whole front halve of the floor was rotted. Come to think of it, the moisture barrier trapped the water and probably accelerated the rot. 😟 So, maybe it is a good thing that there is no moisture barrier. 😊 At any rate, I am looking forward to getting back into the camping saddle again. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
This comes up from time to time. An old post here about it.
in the woods!!

OSB does not delaminate like plywood might because it is not a laminated product. It is also not particleboard although it can often be confused with it. Weyerhaeuser Structurewood for flooring is a one-piece RV flooring wood, i think it comes in up to 45 foot sheets. It has extra resin and wax to resist normal weather conditions. I have not seen anything about this product specifically recommending or condoning additional sealing. I don't have the flooring warranty handy, but I'm sure if you called forest river inc they could provide the details you need.
2011 A-122
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
rawlus, this is really good information. I was wondering if the subfloor was made of specially treated material. Thanks, it makes me more confident that this is an excellent product.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Similar to the decking I used in my home, lumber yard had a piece sitting in water to demonstrate durability. Unlike normal OSB product or typical grade CDX or plywood this specialty product resists water even when a butt end is exposed. Do not treat it!

mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote