Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #1

A122 water pump noise and vibration fix -

I just had to deal with loud noise and vibration of my new 2012 A122 pump.

Since I had installed a Whisper King pump in another camper prior to this, I knew the noise and vibration from the A122 pump was excessive. I believe the pump is the Shurflo model that has been discontinued.

I changed the hard plastic pump output hose to a soft flexible rubber hose and put enough slack into it for a loop just prior to the T connect above.

I also put 1/2" rubber mat under the pump to cushion it.

The existing pump was occasionally kicking on for a couple of seconds, and I found the "pressure spring" in the pump was weakened. I stretched this out another 1/8" and tightened up on the sensitivity screw, and that took care of the intermittent kicking on. There was no leak anywhere to cause it.

I also added some foam insulation wherever the pump output pipe was making contact with a cabinet wall.

Net result is the pump is now running just about as quiet as the Whisper King that I had before in the prior camper.

However, since the pump pressure spring was weakened and "worn", I am getting a new pump to have as a replacement, just in case.

This water pump vibration seems to be a common issue, but with some work it can be dealt with. That is, if you can work in a cramped position.

mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #2

Addendum - another glitch to look for

Almost forgot that if you are getting into the pump fix-it, another item needs to be checked.

That is the alignment of the rubber "vibration cradle" on the bottom of the motor/pump.
Sorry, no pics.
What I am calling a "vibration cradle" is the mating of 2 rubber arcs when the vibration picks up. There are 2 screws on the bottom of the motor/pump assembly that hold on the bottom rubber arc piece. If the 2 screws were tightened when the bottom piece was not perfectly aligned to the upper arc, then the vibration play will not be enabled, and the vibration will be transmitted in excess to the floor or wherever the motor/pump is mounted.

I had to loosen up the 2 bottom screws, realign the bottom rubber mount, and tighten after adding 2 larger flat washers. This needs to be checked, because if all else is taken of and this is not in proper alignment, the vibration will be bad.

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Mostly Harmless

Thanks for this advice. The water pump noise was one of the first things I tried to cure. Maybe now I can really do something about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

I was thinking of going with an outside filter to take away the potential leak factor as we always hook to site water. Any thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Jsusluvsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

To summarize my Shurflo pump saga,

I bought a new Shurflo Revolution pump and installed it today and will keep the original pump as a spare.

I noticed that the new pump did not have a "vibration cradle" as the older pumps did, and so much for new technology. However, the simple plug and play resulted in more vibration and noise than the original pump. Reason is the new pump housing is larger than the original and needs more clearance height from the floor. I switched my floor base mount to a 3/4" foam depth, and made sure it was under the motor only, and not under the pump housing. The pump housing needs room for vibration play.

And, I threw a folded bath towel over the whole assembly. Use is intermittent only, so there is nill chance of heat being an issue.

Net result is pump running operation with only a slight humm. No vibration.

So, I am pleased with this, as I prefer to hear just a humm from that pump, and I hope that anybody else delving into this myriad mod might benefit from my saga.

Tags
a122, pump, water, water pump