Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #1

A122BH Newb

Hello all! Just put my deposit down on my first camper. Our family is really excited for spring. We unfortunately can't store our camper at home and have to store at storage facility. Couple questions:

1). Do you recommend coupler locks, hitch pin locks, wheel boots etc?
2). How about the adco cover? I live in a suburb of Toledo so the last two winters have had a lot of snow compared to normal.

On a brighter note we just booked our first trip to jelly stone in Fremont In for Christmas in July. Hope to meet some of you fine folks out on the road. Thanks for your help in advance. Many questions to follow I'm sure.

Happy camping everyone!
KDogg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KDogg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:12 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome to the site! Good choice on the camper, it will give you lots of flexibility for storage and bikes.

The ADCO covers are good to use, if you just want to cover the camper and not the front storage rack, you will need the 12-14 model. I would guess that the next size up would cover everything. When you cover the camper just makes sure you pad all of the sharp corners, you can use foam noodles or pipe insulation. I would also recommend making sure that no straps are laying on the ground and all gaps / holes are sealed underneath the camper, Critter Control.

Coupler locks are a good idea, but make sure you have a couple lines of defense against theft, no matter what you do, if someone wants it bad enough they will find a way to take it. I would get a good thick cable and lock and if you can, secure the camper to a permanent structure or run the cable through the wheels and to the frame. This will at least make it hard for someone and deter the lazy thieves.

This site is full of campers willing to offer up their knowledge and experience with the A-frame campers.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:27 AM   #3

17' ADCO

It does cover the tanks!

Sometimes I locked a sawed-off trailer ball in the hitch for security.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

I use this for a coupler lock. Very well made of cast steel and easy to use. I store my a122s under a carport but if I needed a cover it would be an Adco.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
Retread Popup Owner

Congrats on thew new camper! We store at home, so I can't help out on the security front. We keep our camper under a carport, and we also use an ADCO cover. The cover does a great job keeping the dirt off.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Congratulations on your new camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDogg01 View Post
1). Do you recommend coupler locks, hitch pin locks, wheel boots etc?
Yes, and not just for trailer anti-theft per se as no lock(s) will prevent a determined thief. I leave my ball mount on my Expedition all the time and the hitch receiver lock keeps it from easily "walking away". When I'm towing, or when parking my trailer at the storage lot, I use a coupler lock.

If you look around you can find a set of locks keyed alike fairly inexpensively. See Here
Old 04-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #7

Just bought the A122BH

Hello.
We just bought the A122BH. We're trying to figure things out as we go. The tutorial at the dealership was just so fast. I have a few questions.
1. How the hell do you get the water heat on?
2. Does anybody keep there camper plugged in at home? If not, do you disconnect the battery?
3. Does anyone have a recommendation for a canvas cover?
4. The A/C runs off of Electrical but does the furnace?
5. What runs off of propane and what runs off of electricity? Is there a switch to run certain things off of propane? Or the battery?

Im sure I have more but would like to get the ball rolling on answers.

Thanks
-Jon
GlampingClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:42 PM   #8

A122BH Newb

Here is a great walkthrough video of an a-frame camper: https://youtu.be/VTkDiYhX4nw

1. There is a switch, for me it is under the table. It has a red reset button on it.

2. I don’t store mine at home. I take the battery out and bring that home, so can’t help with that question.

3. I am all ears!

4. Furnace runs of battery and propane.

5. (I think) Propane: stove; propane and 12V: fridge, water heater and furnace (they need 12V for the control boards); 12V only: fridge; 120V: AC. I think the fridge is the only one you can change your selection on.

I think I got most things right, i am sure others will correct me if not.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

@midnightrider

Thanks so much. That youtube video is a life saver. Thanks again!
GlampingClayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, a122bh