Old 06-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #11
I'll message you so we don't hijack the thread.

2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
What we did: Our A-frame was bought for long weekend camping in Colorado. We wanted to be able to go for up to 4 nights anytime snow wasn't an issue.

Based on past experience with a PUP dry camping at Lake Tahoe, we knew battery was the 1st thing to run out, and the most difficult to get more of while out camping. So I went for a dual battery install right from the beginning. Calculations were enough battery to run the heater with the thermostat at 55 degrees for 5 hrs/night for the 4 nights without taking the batteries below 50%. We like to camp in the trees pointed whatever way suits us. And winds are a problem for portable solar panels (and awnings) in Colorado. I did not want to bother with lugging and monitoring and fueling and storing and paying for a generator.

Actually, the calcs were conservative. The A-frames hold heat (or cool) a lot better than the canvas walls of a PUP. And there's far less volume to heat or cool. So I am quite comfortable with nights down into the high 20s. Below that, I might start worrying about the water tank freezing.

Due to a number of SPUTs (Stupid Pop-Up Trick) on my part, the two batteries were destroyed in about 15 months. In looking for replacements, I came across 6V golf cart batteries at Costco. These were Interstate batteries, GC-2 232AH, for $150 for two, including tax. I measured carefully - they fit my battery box better than the two size 24 12V (which cost $85 each). So I now have more battery capacity, and for less cost (see pics below).

I installed a battery cut-off switch on the end of the battery box. The wood battery box cover I made because the plastic one disappeared in the winds while driving down the Interstate in Eastern Colorado. One strap is not enough! I now use two bungy cords hooked on eyes in the cover. The last pic also shows the remote for my fridge thermometer. I use a standard Walmart wireless thermometer (less than $10) to monitor my fridge temp while camping.

I am a happy camper.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cutoff switch 23Apr2016.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	110085   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual 6V battery install 25Apr2016.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	110086   Click image for larger version

Name:	plastic propane bottle cover 23Apr 2016.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	110087  

pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
Mountain Goddess
Update on earlier post about dead battery

Hello! I thought I'd update everyone on the battery issue I posted a couple months ago on my A-Frame. Might save others some money.... Turns out my battery is just fine - confirmed by the dealer technician - and that I probably inadvertently put the frig on 12v on the way to camp and left it on. That and the fact that fuse was burned out on the pigtail. I have gone on several trips since and everything is ok and no new battery needed. Yay! Thanks to everyone for their insight!

Annabanana is offline   Reply With Quote

a122, battery, charging