Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

A122SXR vs A192HW

New to the forum but not new to campers. I am trying to decide between the A122SXR and the A192HW. I live in Colorado and have only dry camped and like to get off the beaten path. If I go with the A192HW, I would lift it and put 15 inch wheels and tires on.

A122SXR

Pros – Already lifted w/15 inch wheels and tires, 6 inch tubular frame, lower height when compare to A192HW lifted

Cons – Full size bed, small refrigerator w/controls outside, lacks cabinet space

A192HW

Pros – Queen size bed, refrigerator/freezer w/controls inside, spark ignition for stove, much better cabinet space and better counter top height.

Cons – 4 inch tubular frame, have to lift and purchase news wheels, tires and double entry step, after lifted closed height would be 5 to 6 inches higher than the A122SXR. I found I had to move the dinette to sit on the side by the stove. Not sure how accessible the front storage area would be after the camper is lifted, meaning it might be too high to reach in.

I think that the deciding factor is the bed. A queen size mattress would be nice...but hey this is still camping! As far as cabinet space, I would probably pull the microwave out to obtain more storage. Concerning the larger refrigerator/freezer, I can do without the freezer but the inside controls are nice. I am going to take the little lady with me to compare both this weekend.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
biscuit72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #2

You pretty much nailed it as far as the Pro`s and Con`s go. I can only speak about the A122 because that is what I had for over 3 years. The bed size was never an issue for me and the wife, but we are not big people, I am 5' 7" 165lbs and she is smaller.
I do a lot of backpacking so the A122 is very plush by my standards and suits my style of camping. I just sold my A122 and will be picking up my new A122 SXR next week, I made the switch to access more remote sites and for the increased storage.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I am 6'1" 210 lbs and my girlfriend is 5'3". She and I do fine in the full size bed in my PUP, but with the tent sides somewhat expandable I would imagine it feel bigger than rigid walls of the hard-side. Only one way to find out.

On another note...I have purchased 2 campers from CraigsList but never purchased a new one from a dealer. The dealer wants 13,500 (both models) and said this is there best price. I am seeing them as low as 11,500 but that one is 12 hours away. Of course they tried to get me to put a deposit down. Is this really there best price or can i beat them down some? Any advice on haggling?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

I have seen a wide variety of listed prices, some parts of the country seem to have higher listings than others. You have to make sure of what the actual cost of the trailer is, some dealers will list a low price and than add in all of the dealer prep and shipping cost.

I would recommend finding three dealers that are within your acceptable driving distance and get a comparison on their best delivered price. Something to keep in mind is service and repair work, at some point something will need attention on your camper, how far are you willing to drive to have your camper worked on.

I hate the whole haggling thing with the dealership, but it will save you money, at some point you will have to decide what your willing to spend and take the hit. If you get comp. pricing from other dealers it will help some with the negotiations. I would also request that they throw in the extra year of Forest River warranty into the deal, it is not a big cost item, but you do get an additional year of warranty coverage. I refuse to buy an expensive extended warranty on a small camper, if I was buying a $200,000 class A motorhome I would do it in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your purchase! This forum is a great resource of information and has lots of friendly members willing to help out with advice and experience.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 03-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

We chose our 2014 A122 because it was the only model short enough to fit in our garage without hassle.

Personally, I prefer the outside fridge controls. A night or 2 before we leave, I plug the unit in (in the garage) to top off batteries and pre-cool the fridge (on AC). Don't have to raise the roof in any way. We take our groceries and drinks with us in 2 smaller coolers in the minivan. The fridge runs on DC while we are traveling. Upon arrival, we will shift stuff to the fridge as desired. For 2 of us for a long weekend, the A122 fridge is plenty big enough.

Since we cook and wash dishes at the picnic table, and use the A-frame primarily for napping and sleeping, the low cabonet height doesn't bother us much.

For our needs - which was ability to dry camp long weekends 3 seasons in Colorado, ability to store in the garage, and light weight for easy towing behind our minivan in the mountains - the straight A122 won out. Had our needs been different - longer camping periods, more people, a different TV, or different storage options - a pop-up probably would have been the best choice.

The only options we bought were a second battery to keep the heater going through the long weekend with no hook-ups, and a WDH/anti-sway (Equal-i-zer) to make the minivan tow nice.

If the SXR had been available in 2014, I might have thought twice. But in the end, with a minivan for a TV, the need for the lift probably isn't there. After checking out the specs, the length and weight wouldn't work for us either.

my thoughts, your choices
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #6

seriously... how much lift is that important ... your axle/brake wiring is the first thing that is going to be "grounded" if your towing level...with 15 inch wheels and tires ... you probably have an extra inch or so compared to the stock A122 et al.

if it has 6 inch framing .. vs 4 inch ... your seriously do not want these campers bouncing around ...I have had outside walls separate from the cabinates just running down the I95

im not seeing this a big plus .. just a way to find buyers.

d-mo
Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

The biggest advantage to the lift is the gain in clearance on the rear overhang, I believe this is referred to as departure angle in the off-road world. The rear stabilizer jacks hang pretty low and are positioned almost to the very rear of the camper box. The additional lift will prevent the stabilizer jacks from dragging over dips or depressions, or digging in when backing up.

The additional lift will open up some nice camping opportunities in state forest campgrounds and other sites that are accessible through maintained fire roads and trails. I agree that the campers are not built for off-roading and that you must use common sense when driving off pavement.

The lift is probably not needed for most , but it`s a nice option to have available.

The other benefit to the lift and 15" tires is that it looks cool.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 03-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The biggest advantage to the lift is the gain in clearance on the rear overhang, I believe this is referred to as departure angle in the off-road world. The rear stabilizer jacks hang pretty low and are positioned almost to the very rear of the camper box. The additional lift will prevent the stabilizer jacks from dragging over dips or depressions, or digging in when backing up.

The additional lift will open up some nice camping opportunities in state forest campgrounds and other sites that are accessible through maintained fire roads and trails. I agree that the campers are not built for off-roading and that you must use common sense when driving off pavement.

The lift is probably not needed for most , but it`s a nice option to have available.

The other benefit to the lift and 15" tires is that it looks cool.
Amen to the stabilizer jacks dragging, I bent mine a number of times what a PIA to straighten! I did the lift, and not a problem since. Even the Princess Auto and I would guess Harbour Freight ones are far better build than what came on the camper. I like boondocking and that's the only reason I did the mods.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback. Lots of good information out there. I am picking up a A122SXR on Friday. Looking forward to summer!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

I would check out Pop-up Camping Trailer Sales & Rentals in Denver, Colorado | Roberts Sales in Denver. You can check his price on the net and he has no add on. except Tax.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit72 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Lots of good information out there. I am picking up a A122SXR on Friday. Looking forward to summer!
Congrats on the decision!

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122