Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

A126 hard side question

My new A126 has the cool cat heat pump/air conditioner. The service tech during delivery said that I coildnt use the air conditioner while plugged up at home (using 30 am to 15 am adapter plug to my home ac outlet).

Is this true?

He said it would melt the 30/15 adapter. Didn't make sense to me but I thought I would ask here first.

Looking to my first weekend out in my new hard side folding camper!

Andy

Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

Our dealer told us the same thing when we got our A128. You need close to a full 30 amps to run the heat pump/AC unit and the other things that consume power through the 110V connection. When plugged into most home circuits you'll have at the most 20 amps and more likely 15 amps available. Even if you had more current available, the little adaptor that lets you connect your unit to a home outlet can handle only so much amperage. Trying to pull more current through it than it's designed for can cause it to heat up, eventually destroying it. Your house wiring might get hot too, unless the circuit breaker trips.

At home I've twice accidentally brushed the off/on switch for the Cool Cat and heard the unit start. I shut it off before the circuit breaker tripped.

I've heard of people installing an appropriately-sized shore power outlet at home. Too expensive for me.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

I've considered the 30amp plug at the house. I have room on my service to add it and the breaker box is just inside where I plan to park the camper. I know a local electrician that is reasonable so I may get a quote.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

I'd say go for it! Then you'll have an air-conditioned guest room or a place to go when you're in the doghouse at home.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #5

Thanks HamGuy Hopefully if I go that direction the wife won't kick me out too often - but then again, I'd be comfy. Right now I think she'd just go out there if the air worked - she's in love with the camper.

By the way: Any updates on your solar panels? How are those working out for you?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two
Thanks HamGuy Hopefully if I go that direction the wife won't kick me out too often - but then again, I'd be comfy. Right now I think she'd just go out there if the air worked - she's in love with the camper.

By the way: Any updates on your solar panels? How are those working out for you?
My wife loves ours too. Sounds like we both have real keepers. Mine has loved the sailboat, the motorcycle, and now the camper.

I've just been playing with our solar panels so far--not really given them a good test. We'll know better after some extended time in the Forest Service campgrounds we're headed to next week. If I had to guess right now I'd say they'll probably be marginally adequate, as long as we have a sunny spot to put them and many clear days. Then again, I spent only $135 on them, far below what a truly adequate setup would cost. A member who goes by the screen name D-mo has a higher wattage set and dual batteries and says that for his usage level he can stay charged with 5 hours of sunlight per day. You might search for his posts to see what else he's said about it. Also look for what herk7769 may have said on the topic.

We tent camped for so many years that we're used to having no electricity at all. I'm counting on that habit to help us keep from draining our single, barely adequate factory-supplied battery.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

Hi Lee. A couple of batteries sure make a big difference. group 27, 12 volt or a couple of six volt golf cart ones. BTW who wrote your Bio on QRZ...grin
Another ham guy
Old 09-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Mostly Harmless

I think a pair of Group 27s is in our future, but the cash bin is currently down below knee level, so we'll have to wait awhile. My will will read "There's no estate. Being of sound mind and body, I spent it all."

You may be the first person besides me to ever read my QRZ bio. I made it up because "first licensed in 1958, never amounted to much otherwise" seemed too blah and maybe too honest. I was in a good mood when I wrote it but wasn't using controlled substances at the time (really, would I lie?).

How did you find my QRZ listing? I haven't used my callsign on this forum; can you look up people by their nicknames? (Lee, being a more common name than Leland, I tend to use it exclusively). You must have awesome discovery skills.

For other hams out there, my callsign is WU0V. A camper/ham forum might be appropriate here. BTW, that's my Outbacker antenna sticking up from the peak of my camper in the photo.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #9

Geezze Lee that was a few days ago...grin...Yes QRZ is a fantastic asset. I think I did a last name search and narrowed it down to Central Iowa or something like that. I really should help support them as I do use it really often. For those not aware there is a web site qrz.com that has a list and other information about any ham (amateur) radio operator licensed in the world. Will not make this any longer as is really off the topic....73 guy wr7k