Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #91

Just curious, any chance you might do some winter camping? Or is it too cold/snowy? I am hoping to do that with my winterized A122. We can still have nice days in Chicago area through the end of December. January and February are more miserable. Anyone planning on camping during the winter months?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #92

We're up in Madison and we've already winterized the plumbing on ours (had some 30-degree nights already).

This weekend will be out last "official" campout for the season (going to Kettle Moraine South - Wisconsin DNR). We'll haul water in. Next week, I'll winterize the rest (cover over the vents, empty out all the foodstuffs, take in the cushions and linens, and wash everything down. I'll add some damp-rid, bounce sheets, pull the battery and cover the girl up for the snows.

But, that said, if we have a particularly nice winter weekend, or the mood otherwise strikes us, it won't take a lot to hook the battery back up, take off the cover, hook up and go. That's the great thing about these campers compared to tent camping or even a canvas popup. Easy set up and go.

We expect to return "formally" to camping about April or so, maybe late March if we get an early spring again this year. I'm planning a solar mod in the spring as well, so I want to try to get that completed as soon as the early thaws come. We have a black hills week planned next summer that the solar will be great for.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu View Post
Just curious, any chance you might do some winter camping? Or is it too cold/snowy? I am hoping to do that with my winterized A122. We can still have nice days in Chicago area through the end of December. January and February are more miserable. Anyone planning on camping during the winter months?
I'm a newbie with the trailer and my TV will not survive the first snowfall, I think my FWD SUV will be slipping going uphill, so my answer no-way for winter camping
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad
We're up in Madison and we've already winterized the plumbing on ours (had some 30-degree nights already).

This weekend will be out last "official" campout for the season (going to Kettle Moraine South - Wisconsin DNR). We'll haul water in. Next week, I'll winterize the rest (cover over the vents, empty out all the foodstuffs, take in the cushions and linens, and wash everything down. I'll add some damp-rid, bounce sheets, pull the battery and cover the girl up for the snows.

But, that said, if we have a particularly nice winter weekend, or the mood otherwise strikes us, it won't take a lot to hook the battery back up, take off the cover, hook up and go. That's the great thing about these campers compared to tent camping or even a canvas popup. Easy set up and go.

We expect to return "formally" to camping about April or so, maybe late March if we get an early spring again this year. I'm planning a solar mod in the spring as well, so I want to try to get that completed as soon as the early thaws come. We have a black hills week planned next summer that the solar will be great for.
I live in SW suburbs of Chicago and want to go to KM South. Website sounds very nice. How is it? Do you stay in the 24 hour quiet campgrounds?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu View Post
I live in SW suburbs of Chicago and want to go to KM South. Website sounds very nice. How is it? Do you stay in the 24 hour quiet campgrounds?
This will be our third stay in KM this season. The first time we were in the quiet area (Pinewoods) and the second down at Whitewater. This time we're back at Pinewoods. It's really a nice campground, and the hiking trails are wonderful (particularly Scuppernong).

I definitely recommend it if you're looking for something in reasonable distance from Chicago.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #96

Camping trip #6: The weather was great yesterday to travel so I did, it is a long weekend in here and traffic was bad; I was going an average of 12 km/hr for the first 35 km so a 1:15 trip ended up 2:30 hours. I'm back in the empty lot solo(camping trip #4) for the 2 more nights. I had only had 30 mins left of day light when I got here, so the setting up the screen room tent and tarp in the dark was a challenge, the external lights helped. No problems setting up the screen room in the dark, I'm an expert now. Pegging is an issue here so I have to find a way to tie down the tent w/o using pegs. I already use the front and rear stabilizer to tie down parts of the tent, I only need 4 more for the sides and 4 for the front for pegging. I think I have a solution but will need materials to bring here next time. For now I'm using the trees around here to tie down my tent and tarp, last night I used my SUV for tie down since it was pitch dark. It is windy now and they forecast more rain later today. My tent and tarp survived the rain and wind last night, so now I could see the trees and I'll use them for tie downs instead of my SUV.

Last night after parking the first thing I do(non-electric site) is turn off the battery for the fridge and use the propane, it lit up but after releasing the button 30 secs, the fire died and attempts to lit it up failed, tested the propane via the stove it was ok, tried the propane for the fridge again and it failed, gave up wasted 10 mins of day light. I tried again but after the water heater and furnace were on and running for a couple of mins. This time it started fine. This is what I'll do next time, turn on the other propane appliances first.

No friends to visit this time so today I'm biking to a CG close by and use their washroom then to the rail trail for a couple of hours hopefully get back to my trailer before it rains.

Two more nights and the forecast for tonight is minus 2c, no problem with our propane heater. I got an twin size air mattress and slept much better than before. I thought that I'll get use to the trailer's cushion after 15 nights but did not.

More to come...happy fall camping
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #97

I got back this afternoon and left my trailer there for next weekend camping. This will be the last time and will have to winterize the trailer.

Every trip I get to know my A128S limitation. After 3 nights and 3 days of cold weather and no hookup; the furnace, fridge and water heater were running continuously with propane. Last night I took a chance with the propane in front almost empty and the other at the rear for stove connection. I could have swap it before I slept but I want to see what happens and it did. Around 4am I heard the furnace fun go, the on noise wakes me up on occasion, I felt no heat coming out, but I was not sure so I went back to sleep. I woke up again because it was getting cold, it was 15c, the furnace is not running. I checked the stove and it fired up so I reset the furnace by putting the console to off position for 15 seconds first and then select furnace, it turned on but no heat coming out. Now I know for sure the propane is empty but has enough juice to keep the pilot light on for the fridge and light up the stove quickly. I moved the rear propane tank to the front, connected it to propane regulator and turn it on. Went back in and reset the furnace as before, this time I got heat coming out. I needed heat badly because it was close to freezing 0c or 32f. The trailer lost 5c in 30 minutes so insulation is not great.

Another thing I've learned is how much battery is used by the furnace on a cold night. I fully charged the battery with a gas generator for 4 hours. Got over 13 volts reading on a volt meter before I slept, the next day it read approx 11.5 volts. It used over 2.5 volts a night. I've drained the battery under 10 volts and the furnace still works but this is killing the battery so I'll avoid doing that.

I had problem pegging the screen tent and it was windy the other day. I was able to tie down the front corners and the front middle at the bottom to trees. I also use the 2 stabilizers for the 2 back corners. I was lucky there were lots of trees there. I need a peg-less system when trees are not there, any suggestions?

I'll post pictures of this trip later...

Happy fall camping!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #98
Mostly Harmless

Re: the insulation. Even if the walls were thicker, all the windows and skylights have an R-value of 1... Here's my suggestion: hitch up and tow it down here. We'll get a spot for you at a nearby CG. We camped into November here last year.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1
Re: the insulation. Even if the walls were thicker, all the windows and skylights have an R-value of 1... Here's my suggestion: hitch up and tow it down here. We'll get a spot for you at a nearby CG. We camped into November here last year.
I wish I could beam there with my rig, Iowa is over 1400 km from my place but thanks for the offer. I'll ping you when I plan a long trip there in the future. BTW you post that you have winterized your rig already, what do you use for water system replacement during winter camping?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #100
Mostly Harmless

We use the same blue plastic Aquatainers as others here do. I marked one Fresh and the other, Grey. I got them at Wal-Mart but maybe Canada Tire has them. I think they're a Canadian product. After so many years of tent camping we're used to carting water in jugs. Even now, sometimes in the summer we don't bother filling up the trailer's tank for short trips. In fact, last year we had taken three trips before we bothered to de-winterize the water system.

And we've only used the water heater one weekend just to establish that it works. So easy to put the kettle on the stove if we need warm h2o.

Oh, and re the trip down here: gas prices go down over 30% when you cross the border.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner