Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #181

disconnect your battery from your camper ... and leave it.
there is no need for trickle chargers .. or anything like that.
in my 30 years of owning trailers, they self maintained over the long haul of the winter ... checked them now and then over the years ... and if properly maintained ... (water and charge recharging them right after running them) they will last you for years.
Maybe .. after 3 months in the cold weather ... go out give them a check ... just for fun .. thats what i do ..

hope this helps ... d-mo

Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #182

You leave your battery outside in Canada's winter....I put all my batteries in the house. Anyways you confirmed what I do with my batteries, I do not charge them if they still have a good charge in them. If anything goes wrong with the charger's auto sensor there goes your battery as it happened to me twice.
I have a couple power packs that has a car booster and air compressor on one of them, they are over 7 years old and still working fine. Both of them have a push button to indicate charge condition, green means good and I leave it alone. I got this new power pack that has everything plus has its own volt meter and air compressor. I used it in my trips and I could watch TV for over 5 hours and light up my cabin when I was not hooked up. It also has a USB port for charging iPod, PDA and etc
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-125732013.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	21641
Nice tool to have in the RV and I reccomend you having one for your trips
I was thinking of plugging my RV to it when the trailer's battery is low but I found out when using the furnace the coolcat vent turns on when plugged in and uses over 300 Volts. I have to use the booster cable to the trailer's battery connection if I require it. Even when all the switches are off in the trailer, when I hook up my trailer the volt meter reads over 300V but settles down under 200V for charging the battery plus overhead.

I'll charge my trailer's battery as I indicated in my earlier post, when the volt meter indicates below 100% or 12.6V reading. If all goes well I expect the battery to last over 5 years

For SLA batteries always charge them after use to 100%, I use this guide for my ebike batteries too, even when I do a short trip, I charge them immediately after the trip.

For non SLA batteries read this FAQ: http://voltagebikes.posterous.com/wi...electric-bikes

Remember to recycle your batteries...

Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
I have a couple power packs that has a car booster and air compressor on one of them.
I have one of these packs also, its works great, will jump start a car, lawn mower, etc.

Anyways, I just read the entire 19 page discussion here and wanted to come back to the raising the camper off the ground. I do not have an A frame yet, soon, but with my pop up camper i have never had a problem with flat spots or even loss of air pressure. When I get new tires I always get the best to try and prevent a blowout or anything that could go wrong, and when I do I try and save the old rubber tire that still held air, and for the first or second winter I would put the old tires on for storage (found a second set of rims), and would leave the old tires on there. Bringing the new tires inside to resist the flat spots or a decrease in air pressure. (Its not always possible to change sets of tires, but with being able to put it away with these older tires and seeing no problems happen, the last year I didn't even change them back.)

My two cents...

Happy Camping, my popup is already stored for the season!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonn
Anyways, I just read the entire 19 page discussion here and wanted to come back to the raising the camper off the ground. I do not have an A frame yet, soon...
Welcome to this Forum. It indicated that this is your first post on this forum.

I was lucky to find this forum when I was shopping for a trailer, it contributed to make my decision getting the A128S instead of the Aliner. I'm one happy owner now and looking forward to next season.

So visit us again when you start shopping for an A-Frame in the future. Since you read all 19 pages of this thread, you have a virtual taste of how much fun it is to have an A-Frame and how easy it is to maintain. Enjoy shopping for one and ask questions in this forum as I did, like millions.

There are other active threads regarding jacking up the tires. The majority do not do this task. Since the flat spot is very minimum my decision to jack up was a challenge on how to do it and I'm planning to leave the snow that gets accumulated on the trailer during winter, with that added weight I am not worried now. It took me less than hour to do this task but next time I could do this task in less than 30 mins.

The idea of using old tires is a good one too. I got this digital impact wrench for future flat tire replacement and have the lugs tighten at the correct setting 100pds. Also to maintain the lug correct tightness once a year.

Name:	image-1807734004.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	21749
Nice tool to have, easy to use with digital torque settings, fast way getting the lugs out and back

I have tested this tool torque settings by comparing it with a manual torque wrench and it actually works. Maybe I could use this tool to remove the tires and clean the brakes' parts too (excuse to use the tool) lol

It is too bad that the spare tire rim is not the same as the others; so tire rotation is out. Does anybody do tire rotation with their A-Frame?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #185

tire rotation is out for me ... i replace the tires every 4 to 5 years, and have them balanced also ... these are much better tires than the old bias ply that used to go on popups and the like.

d-mo
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #186
Mostly Harmless

The digital torque impact wrench looks like something worth looking into. I can't find a U.S. seller for it, though. I found some 12v torque wrenches available (Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, Northern Tool, etc.), but none that you can adjust the torque level on. Canadian Tire appears to be the only retailer for it.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1
Canadian Tire appears to be the only retailer for it.
This is one of the cool gadget in my tool kit for the RV. The digital setting is the selling point for me and this could only be use for tire lugs removal and back. It does not have the 100 pds setting as recommended by FR so I use the 110 pds setting. My SUV tire lugs is also 100 pds, which I used for my test, at 110 setting I was able to remove the tire lugs and one of the lugs I had to set it to 190 to remove it, so that means they tighten that lug too much. After I put the lugs back at 110 setting, I used the manual torque wrench to check it and it was correct, awesome results, so I have it in my tool kit now but I know it will be seldom used.

I guess when you visit Canada next season you could pick one up in our store. Remember to email me when you come here, I may be able to meet you at the CG.

Another useful tool I use on my trips is the 18V power drill: Less than $20

Name:	image-1035066303.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	21769
For bringing down and up the stabilizers easily and fast
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #188
Mostly Harmless

The thing that makes me interested in the electric torque wrench is the point one reviewer made about using it on vehicle tires: it will undo the lug nuts even if the tire is off the ground. This was a review of a different brand, a non-adjustable one. Reviewers either loved or hated them it seems. There are big quality and durability differences among the different brands, even similarly-priced ones. I only saw one review of the brand you got and it was positive.

I've been using my 18v Ryobi as a stabilizer jack driver since our second trip last year, when I got tired of bending double to crank the jacks. I had the drill left over from my second career as a builder/remodeler and it was going to waste now that I've retired from that work. I had a local battery store (Batteries Plus, a chain) rebuild the aging battery pack with higher amperage cells and now it lasts for weeks without recharging and spins at a noticeably higher RPM. The cost was about $5 less than buying a factory replacement battery for it.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 11-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #189

I give this digital torque impact wrench thumbs up so that makes it two positive review...lol
Good point on getting the lug nuts out even when the tire is off the ground, now I know.

I'm planning to add a balance leveler to my tool kit. Is it worth it? I use planks of wood under the tire for leveling.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #190
Mostly Harmless

I think it's called a Bal leveler, and lots of folks in these forums like theirs. I have no experience with it, as I use the square plastic stacking levelers. I bet a search in the forum for "Bal leveler" will turn up a lot of good info.

60W solar system
2000W inverter generator

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner