Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777
More questions:

On a 30A electric hookup, can you have both a/c and refrigerator on AC? I think using the microwave at the same will pop the fuse.

My extension outdoor cord is 16 Gauge, is it safe to use this? A/C off

Do you use the fun/vent when using the A/C? Windows closed

Two more days before getting my A128S, can't wait to try all the stuff I learned from here...
When at the CG, use any and all appliances you like. It should be ok web hooked up using the campers heavy gauge 30amp hookup cable.

When at home, I would advise avoiding using a 16 gauge extension cord with AC. Get a heavier extension cord and watch which appliances you use at the same time. You could trip you 15amp breaker in your home circuit. If you want to have maximum power at home consider having a 30amp 120v plug added to you house. Be sure it's marked as such so future homeowners don't think it's a 220v circuit.

The only time I would use the fantastic fan with the AC would be during cool down on a hot day, or when cooking with the gas stove. In both cases it's a good idea to crack a window to allow to fan to work properly.

Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Rockwood Premier A126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
More questions:

On a 30A electric hookup, can you have both a/c and refrigerator on AC? I think using the microwave at the same will pop the fuse.
If you plug your aframe's power cord in, from the camper to a 30amp hookup, you can run everything including the microwave. Your aframe should have about 25' of cord.

Quote:
My extension outdoor cord is 16 Gauge, is it safe to use this? A/C off
The 16GA cord should be able to run lights, the inverter, the fridge and maybe the fantastic fan for a while. That's about it. It will not run the AC for long, if at all. The cord and plug ends will overheat, which is not good. Also, you will not be getting enough "juice" to the air conditioner and that is hard on the unit and will probably damage it.

I would invest in either a nice long (50') 12GA extension cord and run just about everything with little problem.

Here's an example of a 12/3 50' cord from amazon:
Amazon.com: US Wire 74050 12/3 50-Foot SJTW Yellow Heavy Duty Lighted Plug Extension Cord: Home Improvement

Here's an example of a 12/3 100' cord from amazon:
Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 02509 100-Feet 12/3 SJTW Extension Cord, Orange: Home Improvement

You'll need this adapter for a 12/3 cord, which should be included in your new aframe:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...=0,-1&hei=1000

Or "go for broke" and purchase a 30amp 25' RV extension cord, which will run it all. Not a bad price, especially if you can find a Camping World near your location and save shipping.
Heavy Duty 30-amp 10/3 STW Cord, 25

Quote:
Do you use the fun/vent when using the A/C? Windows closed
The fantastic fan/vent is used to bring in fresh air through the open windows. When the air conditioner is on, turn off the fantastic fan and close the vent, just like if you were at home. If you are cooking and the air conditioner is on, it is fine to run the fantastic fan and vent that out for a bit. After cooking, turn off the vent fan and close the vent to keep the cool, air conditioned air in your aframe.

Quote:
Two more days before getting my A128S, can't wait to try all the stuff I learned from here...

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Rockwood Premier A126

Oops, I linked you to the wrong adapter for a 12GA cord. The adapter should look similar to this link below. The aframe's 30 amp cord plugs into this adapter, which plugs into the 12GA extension cord:
Amazon.com: Camco 55223 RV 15M/30F Amp PowerGrip Adapter: Automotive
The one that was included with our unit is black and triangle shape like the incorrect link in the first post.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory
If you plug your aframe's power cord in, from the camper to a 30amp hookup, you can run everything including the microwave. Your aframe should have about 25' of cord.

The 16GA cord should be able to run lights, the inverter, the fridge and maybe the fantastic fan for a while. That's about it. It will not run the AC for long, if at all. The cord and plug ends will overheat, which is not good. Also, you will not be getting enough "juice" to the air conditioner and that is hard on the unit and will probably damage it.

I would invest in either a nice long (50') 12GA extension cord and run just about everything with little problem.

Here's an example of a 12/3 50' cord from amazon:
Amazon.com: US Wire 74050 12/3 50-Foot SJTW Yellow Heavy Duty Lighted Plug Extension Cord: Home Improvement

Here's an example of a 12/3 100' cord from amazon:
Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 02509 100-Feet 12/3 SJTW Extension Cord, Orange: Home Improvement

You'll need this adapter for a 12/3 cord, which should be included in your new aframe:
http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...=0,-1&hei=1000

Or "go for broke" and purchase a 30amp 25' RV extension cord, which will run it all. Not a bad price, especially if you can find a Camping World near your location and save shipping.
Heavy Duty 30-amp 10/3 STW Cord, 25

The fantastic fan/vent is used to bring in fresh air through the open windows. When the air conditioner is on, turn off the fantastic fan and close the vent, just like if you were at home. If you are cooking and the air conditioner is on, it is fine to run the fantastic fan and vent that out for a bit. After cooking, turn off the vent fan and close the vent to keep the cool, air conditioned air in your aframe.

Deb
Thanks again for the information and the links. I did not know the A128S includes a 25' 30A cord and an adaptor, I'll put this on my check list when I pick up the trailer.

Do you put some kind of lock when you extend your cord to the hookup? Some one could easily lift it when your out of your site.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #15

If you are going to a provincial park it might be wise to purchase a 25' 30 amp RV extension cord. I have found that the hydro post is always a long way from the site at provincial parks. I have a 50' 30 amp Rv cord from Princess Auto.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #16

The cord on our aframes is hard wired to the power center. It would be difficult to lift and unlikely. This is different from the Aliners that have a cord that plugs into the pedestal then to the side of the camper.

No worries of theft on the camper power cord.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #17

As Caper says, an extension may be a good item to have. I always check the distance from the pad to the pedestal when making reservations.

In my area I haven't needed an extension cord yet, but the day may come.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:07 AM   #18

How about any tips on how to hook up the trailer, never done it so I have no clue how to align the hitch.
Do they teach you how this is done when you pick it up from the dealer?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #19

I am definitely not a psychic at knowing where the ball and hitch are....so I use a handy telescopic magnetic ball hitch gadget. It looks like a yellow nerf ball on a telescoping radio antenna. One goes on the ball of the tow vehicle and the other goes on the trailer coupler. The idea is to back up and align the 2 yellow balls until they are together (one behind the other). I use them everytime I have had to hook up & they do work...yay. This contraption costs anywhere from 19.99 to 24.99. would be interested to know how others do it, too.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #20

I use the help of another person when hitching up. They help spot me as I tweak the ball to the hitch. I've gotten pretty good and get darn close even when hitching up alone.

You'll get good with practice. Having a level hard surface to hook up on helps since you can push the trailer to the ball for the last few inches, but that won't work in On level or rough surfaces.

The tennis ball hitch aids are a good recommendation.

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner