Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #221

I have this generator but mine only weighs 43 lbs...its extremely quiet, easy to start and super portable....does all I expect from it.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #222
Mostly Harmless

The manual gives two different weights, I think the 43 pounds is what it weighs empty and the other is when full of gas and oil. Mine arrived just 3 days after we ordered it. It was sturdily packed, shipped without oil in it but a container of oil, a funnel, a spark plug wrench and a 12 v charging cable were packed with it. After filling the oil and gassing up I pulled the starter rope--about ten times. Didn't start. I checked to see if the spark plug wire was disconnected and generally poked around inside the case and when I closed it up and tried to start again it started right up. Since then it starts right away. I've run it through its 5 hour break in period and changed the oil as directed. I'm happy with it and I second Handbuilder's opinion of it.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #223

Will this generator run the AC also?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #224
Mostly Harmless

I don't think so; it can put out some 13 - 14 amps consistently but I'm pretty sure the Cool Cat wants more than that. I haven't actually tried it though. As Handbuilder has pointed out, it'll run everything else inside, and the Cool Cat's fan, just not the compressor part of it. It will run an electric heater, up to 1500 watts or so. That's the load I had plugged in during the break in period.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #225

How is the noise level? In a camp ground, up to what time at night do you think we could keep this running before they start complaining?

Good idea to break it in before taking it out on a trip.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #226

We were prepping dinner & my dog show buddy said she'd start the generator, she didnt realize it was already running...she couldnt hear it over the motorhome generator parked next to us. The Champion is sooo quiet! We had it outside the open kitchen window & the only loud noise was our neighbors big genny sitting on their back bumper. Grr

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #227

That was fast, my GEN was delivered today. I reviewed the owner's manual and the oil supply was not included. I was thinking of using synthetic oil 10W30, is this a good or bad idea?
Owner's Manual:
http://www.absolutegenerators.com/im...i%20Manual.pdf
Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
That was fast, my GEN was delivered today. I reviewed the owner's manual and the oil supply was not included. I was thinking of using synthetic oil 10W30, is this a good or bad idea?
Any oil that meets the mfg recommendations is fine. I'd go with conventional if it were me.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #229
Mostly Harmless

I agree with Jeep4Two. At least during the first 100 hours or the first season, whichever is less, I'm going to use the cheaper "regular" 10W30 oil. Maybe after the second oil change I'll switch to synthetic, but it may be overkill. Didn't Handbuilder say they use synthetic in theirs? Maybe it was someone else. One of the blessings of being an old futz is that I can admit to not remembering something without feeling embarrassed about it.

BTW, just today I ran our house furnace from the generator to see whether it could handle the job. It did just fine. Ours is a gas furnace with a two-stage burner and variable speed fan--lots of sensitive electronics inside--so having a genny with a pure sine wave output is a necessity. The furnace manual says it draws up to 11 amps on full output and the genny can handle that just fine. Of course, first you need to have a transfer switch installed to isolate your furnace circuit from the house mains. After that, follow the genny's manual about grounding its frame to a ground rod; this kind of furnace can be picky about the electricity it's fed and you don't want to trip the burner lockout. Shouldn't be a problem using the genny with the camper without a ground rod though.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #230

I got the GEN out of the box, took pictures of its brand new state and visualize using it in my next trips. I'm so looking forward to testing it out. But the maintenance stated in the manual for this unit lectured me that I have abused my other GEN. It states if not in use to start the unit every 2 weeks for 20 mins or do 8 steps from the manual like draining the fuel out for long storage, REALY...I feel sorry for my lawn mower too. I just put gas stabilizer and store them over the winter. I guess I have been lucky they started ok after the long storage.
I read several recommendations in the Internet that it is better to store gas devices full with stabilizers, so far it worked for me but I may do the dry storage for my new GEN.

THG1-Lee, thanks for your info on using the GEN for the house. You have changed the GEN oil once already after 5 hours/break in period. While your memory is still fresh, there are notes in the manual but how did you do it? was it hard draining the oil out completely? Did the gas spill during this process? was it a messy job?

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner