Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
I know what you mean about the challenge...I read a few statements here about the nightmare of setting it up...
There are spots around the corner that the tent pulls the Velcro out but I was able to get around that.
Enjoy your Screen Room!

We've gotten much better at setting it up. If we are going to stay more than a couple of nights and/or if the weather is too hot or too rainy, then we will set it up. It always get positive comments!

How have you handled the Velcro? On ours, the Velcro on the sides and back of the camper is starting to be a real mess and no longer sticks very well. I am looking to mod the awning to accept snaps or ties. There's got to be a better way to hold the awning (and its the bottom screen) to the camper. The Velcro on the "A" has held up well.

My wife and I agree that it is a keeper; she loves to hang her LED lights on it.

2012 Rockwood A128S "Rocko" 200+ Nights!
Nights Camped 2012 - 2016 = 194
Nights Camped 2017 = 30 as of Nov 18, 2017)
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom

We've gotten much better at setting it up. If we are going to stay more than a couple of nights and/or if the weather is too hot or too rainy, then we will set it up. It always get positive comments!

How have you handled the Velcro? On ours, the Velcro on the sides and back of the camper is starting to be a real mess and no longer sticks very well. I am looking to mod the awning to accept snaps or ties. There's got to be a better way to hold the awning (and its the bottom screen) to the camper. The Velcro on the "A" has held up well.

My wife and I agree that it is a keeper; she loves to hang her LED lights on it.
Since my Velcro is still new I'm not having problems in most parts but the two spots where the tent puts a lot of stress I was able to solve this by wrapping the Velcro inside the slot see pic of the rear, I did this in the front too:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3310099769.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	19162

Name:	image-2884057156.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	19163

I'm experimenting in special strong glue to support the Velcro when it gets pulled out. I'm also thinking about putting chalking around the Velcro. This will be a challenge to have the Velcro in its place in the future. Anyone there who has a solution please share here.

Did anyone have the screen room up and was hit by a strong wind? I wonder how much wind can this tent stand.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Did anyone have the screen room up and was hit by a strong wind? I wonder how much wind can this tent stand.

We had a little wind this past weekend gusts of up to 20+ mph (reminents of Isaac). That's one of the reasons the Velcro is in such poor shape. The sides of the awning blew out away from the wall. The rest of the frame and staked areas held up well.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #54

Quote:

We had a little wind this past weekend gusts of up to 20+ mph (reminents of Isaac). That's one of the reasons the Velcro is in such poor shape. The sides of the awning blew out away from the wall. The rest of the frame and staked areas held up well.
When you set up the screen room did you insert it under the corner piece and hook it to the Velcro that I inserted into the slot? The tent below that is pegged so the stress will be on the tent and the peg and should prevent separation. I'll double check that when I set it up next time and maybe double peg it when it is windy.

Name:	image-1903989891.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	19179

Thanks for sharing your windy experience.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #55

Quote:
When you set up the screen room did you insert it under the corner piece and hook it to the Velcro that I inserted into the slot? The tent below that is pegged so the stress will be on the tent and the peg and should prevent separation. I'll double check that when I set it up next time and maybe double peg it when it is windy.
Attachment 19179

Thanks for sharing your windy experience.

I run mine over the outside of the corner piece (I have a small piece of Velcro there that actually still holds at the corner.).

Actually, the Velcro has separated at the bottom of the camper. On your photo, the vertical run of the awning on side wall towards the base of the camper - it pulls up from there. Both front and back Velcro's are affected.

Part of the problem seems to be that we can't easily secure / stake the awning to ground at the base of the camper (below the side wall), if we are parked on a concrete or asphalt spot. Usually, the end of the awning will hang off the drive and can be staked. Eventually the elements and wind take their toll.

I've tried some generic epoxy to secure the ends of the Velcro attached to the camper with poor results. I am currently looking for a plan "B" or "C".
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #56

Quote:

Part of the problem seems to be that we can't easily secure / stake the awning to ground at the base of the camper (below the side wall), if we are parked on a concrete or asphalt spot. Usually, the end of the awning will hang off the drive and can be staked. Eventually the elements and wind take their toll.

I've tried some generic epoxy to secure the ends of the Velcro attached to the camper with poor results. I am currently looking for a plan "B" or "C".
I think I have a solution. The stabilizer bar is close by, put a wood (under the bar) long enough to reach the base of the tent and we could use a nail to tie the tent to it. I'll try this plan next time. Use this glue E-6000, looks strong on the piece of Velcro I did yesterday.

Name:	image-3046096704.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	19203
I put a film of this on the Velcro and the trailer, after 24 hrs the bonding looks strong.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #57

Quote:
I think I have a solution. The stabilizer bar is close by, put a wood (under the bar) long enough to reach the base of the tent and we could use a nail to tie the tent to it. I'll try this plan next time. Use this glue E-6000, looks strong on the piece of Velcro I did yesterday.
Attachment 19203
I put a film of this on the Velcro and the trailer, after 24 hrs the bonding looks strong.

That's a good idea! Just screw a permanent hook into the end of the board. Position it at the correct point under the awning, and lock it with the stabilizer. Brilliant!

If it is secured at the top and bottom of the camper, the Velcro is superfulous!

I'll check out the glue as well!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #58

Camping Trip #4 was a challenge. Learn a lesson next time to double check the hitch lock on the ball. 2 mins to the start of my trip hit a bump and stopped for a red light and felt the trailer hitting my bumper, found out the hitch ball slipped back. Took me close to 30 mins to put the hitch ball to its proper position. I now know the correct position by looking under the hitch lock and what to feel for in the hitch lock. The only damage was a scratch bumper and stress the rest of the trip paranoid of losing the trailer. I made it to my destination and feel next time It should be ok as long as I double check the hitch lock position.

The other challenge was going backwards with the trailer in a long narrow drive way, down slope on one side, and tall grass. Checkout the pic because of a lot of backing corrections the grass were flatten...lol:

Name:	image-2131533097.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	19576

I camped on a friend's empty lot w/empty workshop far away from home, no washroom and electric. There is a campground 10 km away, a river and old train tracks used for hiking or biking. I biked to the CG to visit friends camping there. I also have a friend's cottage 20 mins away by car, I visited them for dinner and left the trailer in the lot. I'll be back there next weekend to do some kayaking with a couple of friends and try biking on the old train tracks.

Name:	image-8813961.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	19575
Used this cheap generator, very loud, to recharge my trailer's battery and watch movies before bed. First time I used the propane for heater and fridge. Both works perfectly. If you look closely my new trailer's front is covered with dirt for going on wet country roads.

I just realized I forgot to turn off the water heater. The propane tanks are off. Does anybody knows what happens in this case?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #59
Rockwood Premier A126

Oh my! Do you have the proper ball size installed on your hitch? I think it uses a 2" ball.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory
Oh my! Do you have the proper ball size installed on your hitch? I think it uses a 2" ball.

Deb
Yes, the dealer installed it. I thought if the hitch lever is down and I could lock it is good enough. Apparently not, I've learned my lesson. Check by sight or feel the ball in the socket how far down the hook is to the ball, it should be more than halfway down.

Do you know if my battery will drain because I left the hot water switch on without propane hookup?

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner