Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #61
Rockwood Premier A126

I asked Gary and he said it's probably not a problem. He thinks that the furnace has to have propane to it (pressure from the gas) for the electronic igniter to light for heat, which would drain the battery...

He thinks it will be OK
, but no guarantees because we don't know for sure.
This is all quite a learning experience, isn't it?

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory
I asked Gary and he said it's probably not a problem. He thinks that the furnace has to have propane to it (pressure from the gas) for the electronic igniter to light for heat, which would drain the battery...

He thinks it will be OK, but no guarantees because we don't know for sure.
This is all quite a learning experience, isn't it?

Deb
This is true, I will post the results when I go back this Friday. Does anybody know if your battery goes low during the night(no electric hookup) will the propane heater shutdown? I guess it requires battery power for the fan.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #63

Yes, no battery power and no AC power = no heat. Gotta have power to run the gas solenoid, fan and ignitor on the furnace.

Your question was on the water heater. I think that may also drain your battery while in storage. I believe the aframes Hester tries to ignite, and If no gas will light the indicator light. Not sure if it will retry or not.

The furnace however, will continue to retry periodically to relight in the absence of gas.

I don't think either has a pressure switch. I'll look at the manual here in a bit.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #64
Rockwood Premier A126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Your question was on the water heater. I think that may also drain your battery while in storage. I believe the aframes Hester tries to ignite, and If no gas will light the indicator light. Not sure if it will retry or not.

The furnace however, will continue to retry periodically to relight in the absence of gas.

I don't think either has a pressure switch. I'll look at the manual here in a bit.
Ah sorry, didn't read closely enough. I missed it that ko777 was talking about the water heater and not the furnace.
Yes, please let us know what you find out. It would be good to know in either case.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #65

Ok, the furnace manual doesn't really clearly say.

The hit water heater however will 'lock out' after three tries. You have to power off the water heater to reset the lock out.

I would assume (ASSUME) that the furnace is similar or the same. I'd only know for sure by trying it out with no gas to see when lock out occurs. The furnace manual mentions lock out but not how many ignition tries constitutes a lock out condition. Resetting lock out on the furnace requires setting the thermostat below room temp or switching it off in the thermostat and back on.

Either way, I think since the appliance is energized, whether in lock out or not, that a week will probably drain the camper battery. U could be wrong. I guess the OP will find out on Friday.

Now I'm curious what constitutes a lock out condition (how many failed ignition attempts) for the furnace.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory

Ah sorry, didn't read closely enough. I missed it that ko777 was talking about the water heater and not the furnace.
Yes, please let us know what you find out. It would be good to know in either case.

Deb
The propane heating is a new question, when I go back to my trailer this Friday I hope the trailer's battery will have enough juice to keep me warm till Sat morning. I hope leaving the water heater left on without propane did not drain my battery.

Here is another question, the light below the microwave oven, is that 100% battery?
If it is connected to the battery directly, can I use a volt meter to measure the strength of the battery from the light's connection? This will save me from opening the battery case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-500848528.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	19624
Does anybody know how long it takes to recharge the trailer's battery using a gas generator? With everything turned off in the trailer and plugged in to the generator, the watt meter was reading 80 watts, I could assume that is for recharging the battery.

What should the volt meter reading to indicate the battery has a good charge and requires charging??

Wow I have a lots of questions, thanks advance for any information I get from here.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #67

The light below the microwave is hooked to the battery. I was in that wiring last week and traced it out when I installed a couple 12v outlets in that cabinet.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #68

KO777 - when I want to take a voltage reading I attached one lead of my voltmeter to one of the bolt ends that holds the tongue jack and the other I touch to the top edge of the blade fuse that is just outside the battery box (in the red wire - covered by a small black rubber cap). Using this method I can check my battery voltage very quickly without having to remove the battery cover which is a real pain. I intend to mount a permanent volt meter inside the trailer this spring. I found a guide from a link in this forum that gives voltage vs % depletion and it is a good guide. I will try to paste it

Randy
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #69
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker25
KO777 - when I want to take a voltage reading I attached one lead of my voltmeter to one of the bolt ends that holds the tongue jack and the other I touch to the top edge of the blade fuse that is just outside the battery box (in the red wire - covered by a small black rubber cap). Using this method I can check my battery voltage very quickly without having to remove the battery cover which is a real pain. I intend to mount a permanent volt meter inside the trailer this spring. I found a guide from a link in this forum that gives voltage vs % depletion and it is a good guide. I will try to paste it

Randy
Yes that method would sufice for a quick check .

Turbs
Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #70

Would this be something interesting to install?

Battery Indicator - Solar Panel or Golf Cart 12/24 volt: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Thought it might be a helpful gauge.

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner