Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #71
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad
Would this be something interesting to install?

Battery Indicator - Solar Panel or Golf Cart 12/24 volt: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Thought it might be a helpful gauge.
To bad it didn't have an actual read out.
Most campers have that "similar" style already.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #72

I've seen dozens that show digital numbers. Just this one interested me because it has a empty-full gauge so you don't have to cross-reference.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad
I've seen dozens that show digital numbers. Just this one interested me because it has a empty-full gauge so you don't have to cross-reference.
Can you try doing a reading via the lights under the microwave oven and see if it is the same as to the battery connection directly with your meter?
I'll attempt that when I get to my trailer this Friday, to check how much juice is left on my battery.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #74

Camping Trip #4 continue. I got here last night and the trailer looked fine. After 6 days parked in this lot and I left the water heater on without propane, the battery did not drained. The water heater light near its switch was red. Just turn it off and on to restart the water heater, the red light goes off indicating it is on again.

I run out of gas in my generator, it run for 5 hours and I hope that is enough to fully charge my battery. The watt meter was reading close to 400 watt, I had the furnace on because of the gen electric the vent of the A/C turns on. If I could turn off to save gas. When the gen is off the vent is off too.

The fridge good with propane, it got colder than 32F. I now use this to keep my meat frozen. I bring a large cooler for drinks and stuff.

It rain hard all night, this the first time I camp in this condition. This morning the trailer was dry inside and some drips all over the screen room. My trailer has passed all the test it was given, I'm one happy camper w/A128S.

It is blah right now, dark clouds w/shower so I blog this using my 3G hotspot good for 100MB. I'll post more with pic when I get home Monday.

Official end of summer, Fall camping here and enjoying the cold nights in my trailer.

Later...
Old 09-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #75

Glad the camper wasn't dead. Sounds like a nice trip so far, despite the rain.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #76
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
Do you know if my battery will drain because I left the hot water switch on without propane hookup?
If you don't have a battery disconnect or keep the power on your camper, the battery will be dead in a week anyway due to other parasite loads (like the propane detector and radio that are hard wired to the battery.

As to your hitch issue.

If you actually checked that the keeper was actually down and engaged and the coupler "hopped" off the ball. Your dufus dealer put the wrong size ball on the hitch.

Having said that, to prevent you from forgetting to actually "set" the ball keeper, I use a pin that goes through the locking hole in the coupler to make sure it is actually down and engaged. Having to put that pin in will make you check to make sure it is down.

A non-locking one looks like: Coupler Snapper Pin - 1/4" X 2" | 66050 | Trailer Parts On-line | NuEraTrailerParts.com

A locking one looks like: Master Lock Hitch Receiver and Coupler Latch Lock Set - Swivel Design - 2" Hitches Master Lock Locks,Hitch Accessories 1481DAT which is a set for locking the hitch to the truck and the keeper closed.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
As to your hitch issue.

If you actually checked that the keeper was actually down and engaged and the coupler "hopped" off the ball. Your dufus dealer put the wrong size ball on the hitch.

Having said that, to prevent you from forgetting to actually "set" the ball keeper, I use a pin that goes through the locking hole in the coupler to make sure it is actually down and engaged. Having to put that pin in will make you check to make sure it is down.
That is what I did from day one I got my trailer. I thought that if it could lock the pin, it is secured but that day I had the problem, most likely it was on the top middle of the ball, so locking was possible. To be sure from now on, I do this step and check by looking under or feeling the hitch is below the mid point of the ball. Double checking is the key and I've learned my lesson with minimum damage.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777
Camping Trip #4 continue. I got here last night and the trailer looked fine. After 6 days parked in this lot and I left the water heater on without propane, the battery did not drained. The water heater light near its switch was red. Just turn it off and on to restart the water heater, the red light goes off indicating it is on again.

I run out of gas in my generator, it run for 5 hours and I hope that is enough to fully charge my battery. The watt meter was reading close to 400 watt, I had the furnace on because of the gen electric the vent of the A/C turns on. If I could turn off to save gas. When the gen is off the vent is off too.

The fridge good with propane, it got colder than 32F. I now use this to keep my meat frozen. I bring a large cooler for drinks and stuff.

It rain hard all night, this the first time I camp in this condition. This morning the trailer was dry inside and some drips all over the screen room. My trailer has passed all the test it was given, I'm one happy camper w/A128S.

It is blah right now, dark clouds w/shower so I blog this using my 3G hotspot good for 100MB. I'll post more with pic when I get home Monday.

Official end of summer, Fall camping here and enjoying the cold nights in my trailer.

Later...
Conclusion Sunday: No gas left for the generator, drained my power pack watching 6 hours of movies, and the trailer battery has less than 11 volts left; there is a frost warning tonight so I've decided to go home Sunday instead of Monday. This camping trip had everything, heavy rain, strong wind, cold nights and sunny breaks for bike ridding. I had enough sun today to pack up dry. The following pics are from this trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1654507830.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	19828
The tarp helped a lot, kept my bike and generator dry, checkout the wind trying to blow off the tarp

Name:	image-1397501285.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	19829
My power pack, I drained it, now I know its capacity. This is my all purpose tool, it has a booster, air compressor, USB power, 400 watt inverter, battery input, and light. Perfect companion for the trailer. For emergency I could use this to backup the trailer's battery via the boost cable.

Name:	image-2216668227.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	19830
Easy way to check the battery level, less than 10 volt means battery is drained

Name:	image-2555155563.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	19831Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1971160479.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	19832
Where is everybody? Biked to the CG, it is open for the next 2 weekends but the store is close

Name:	image-315395086.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	19833Click image for larger version

Name:	image-264159778.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	19834
Biked to the rail trail for a couple of hours, there are hundreds of miles of this trail, my pedal assist bike could go over 60 miles at a average speed of 20 km/hr(12.5 mph)

Name:	image-780445641.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	19835
Perfect solution for the screen room when pegging is a problem, front and back beside the stabilizer

Name:	image-1790239188.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	19836
All packed and ready to go home

For Next weekend I've booked a CG with electric, this will be much easier then this trip.

Happy fall camping!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #79
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
That is what I did from day one I got my trailer. I thought that if it could lock the pin, it is secured but that day I had the problem, most likely it was on the top middle of the ball, so locking was possible. To be sure from now on, I do this step and check by looking under or feeling the hitch is below the mid point of the ball. Double checking is the key and I've learned my lesson with minimum damage.
What ever works for you is great. I still like the extra security of lifting the bumper with the tongue jack AFTER I hook up, to put the WD bars on easily; then lower it and store the jack handle.

If the trailer tongue can lift the truck; that connection is going no where.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
If the trailer tongue can lift the truck; that connection is going no where.
This is a good check, I'll add this to my list:
- visual check/feel the position of hitch inside the socket
- lock the tongue pin
- lift the bumper a couple of inches with tongue's jack

Excellent I should feel safe and secure on my next camping trip. No more hopping trailer.

Thanks for the tip!

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner