Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1
That should be "unit," not "initial." The autocorrect on this iPad is a nice concept but evidently programmed by illiterates...
Lol, do you use the option to edit your post after sending it? I like that feature to make adjustments and correct some word selection I've used. The apple app does not have the symbols to put here, is there a way to turn on that option? I use another app to do this , It shows in our apple devices but most likely not on other browsers/devices.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #142
Mostly Harmless

I tried but it wouldn't let me move the cursor. This forum app for iPad began to go wonky on me after I upgraded to iOS6. Now it won't accept the first line of any post I make; I have to space down a line and start there. Time for a new version of the app. Are you listening, programmers?

BTW, KO, is that a Western Digital hard drive on the counter in your photo? Is it for movies on the road? What do you use it with?
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1
BTW, KO, is that a Western Digital hard drive on the counter in your photo? Is it for movies on the road? What do you use it with?
Nope, it is a WD media player. It has 2 USB ports to attach external drives and I also use it to recharge my phone/iPod(network support too). It plays HD movies via HDMI to the HD TV, also plays any media files like jpg, mp3 and others. It fits perfectly on the counter with the TV.
On my first trip, I got a new HD TV, set up everything on the counter, ready to watch a HD movie from my 500 GB external drive movie collection, and found out I left the player's remote control at home, I swore a few words. Fortunately I had a backup, my laptop did the job. Lol learned my lesson, now all the accessories for this setup, are now packaged in the TV's box in came with, it is now part of my routine when I setup and break camp to do that. I actually enjoy watching movies during my trips because I could focus on it, no distraction like when your home ie channel surfing.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777
From last week: It has been raining and windy the whole day today and I see some air going through the tarp which is a good sign. This coming Monday and Tuesday the weather forecast heavy rain and up to 100km/hr wind, I hope the cover survives this challenge.Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2451405113.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	21244
The storm is over and the cover survived. The forecast they did was pretty close and I was watching the power of the storm last night, there were no damage in my neighborhood and I hope all of you escaped this massive storm SANDY.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #145

ko777, that photo you posted (Oct 29, 9:03PM) is identical to the setup in my 2012 Flagstaff T10RD.

Glad to hear you weathered the storm OK.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
ko777, that photo you posted (Oct 29, 9:03PM) is identical to the setup in my 2012 Flagstaff T10RD.
Wow, looks like they exported 2012 A-Frame to Canada with old parts....

Again....not fair

I remember my rig was manufactured late 2011, maybe Nov, I can't check now, it is covered for the winter. Can you check your rig's date. Maybe this is the real reason why we got the old console model.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
Wow, looks like they exported 2012 A-Frame to Canada with old parts....

Again....not fair

I remember my rig was manufactured late 2011, maybe Nov, I can't check now, it is covered for the winter. Can you check your rig's date. Maybe this is the real reason why we got the old console model.
Alas, my rig is also wrapped up pretty tight for the season and I'd need an ice pick (a big one) to get her uncovered now.
Having said that, a 2011 mfg date wouldn't surprise me: she'd been sitting on the lot of Prairie Sky RV long enough for them to have put her on sale -at the start of the camping season.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don

Alas, my rig is also wrapped up pretty tight for the season and I'd need an ice pick (a big one) to get her uncovered now.
Really, ice already, please post a pic of your rig iced up.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #149

I'm curious on how we A-framers cover our rig and the stuff mother nature put on it. Since you saw my rig covered and survived SANDY, I would like see a pic of your rig's cover too. I did not have time to get a customized cover for my rig, if you got it how are they working out for you?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #150

I am housebound today and workbound for the next 5 but here's what it looks like outside my front window.

We had a solid week of snow, then it warmed up to zero/+1 for two days, then it froze all over again so the whole bloody town is basically one big curling rink.
Also, nobody up here has ever heard of sand, so instead of my usual manly, purposeful stride, I'm reduced to mincing along like a little old lady for the next six months whenever I'm outside (sometimes I really miss the south...).

My rig is 10 feet long and the cover is for a 10-12 footer so it's a bit large, but I used the 2 straps that were included and wrapped a rope laterally around the whole thing. I also have covers on the tires and the jacks down and sitting on 2X10's.
I still have to get a cover for the propane tanks (to replace the one that went AWOL in the Alberta Badlands last summer).

Next time I'm out to the storage site (just outside of town) I'll make a point of having the camera along.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #151
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Also, nobody up here has ever heard of sand, so instead of my usual manly, purposeful stride, I'm reduced to mincing along like a little old lady for the next six months whenever I'm outside (sometimes I really miss the south...).
Have you tried Yac Trax? They work very well actually and will help you to ease up on that "little old lady" stride a bit.

Stay warm,

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #152

Hey they changed my status to "Senior Member". Any privilege for being in that designated group? I had a great time posting and getting a lot of information in this forum which made me a senior member...over 100 post. I wonder what is next? For a moment there when I was a newbie in this forum I thought a senior member is someone that has been in this forum forever...lol

Please post a pic of your covered rig here, it maybe interesting seeing different kinds of covers other A-framer uses. This will give me
some ideas on what cover to get for next season too.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Have you tried Yac Trax? They work very well actually and will help you to ease up on that "little old lady" stride a bit.

Stay warm,

Deb
I've got something similar -with big honkin' spikes on the bottom (tough on the carpets though.... I just like to grumble.

ko777 - the interesting part will be this coming spring when we pull the covers off and see how our campers made out.
Next fall when all the "what do I do?" threads start up, you'll be dispensing sage advice to the rookies...senior member and all!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #154

Quote:
ko777 - the interesting part will be this coming spring when we pull the covers off and see how our campers made out.
Next fall when all the "what do I do?" threads start up, you'll be dispensing sage advice to the rookies...senior member and all!
Yes I can't wait for that day we pull the covers off and I hope no surprises. The problem with rushing covering my rig is that there are stuff I have left in there that I need now but I won't take the cover off for that mistake.

Hey we join this forum the same month and a few more post you will be a "Senior Member" too, do you think newbies will trust/read our post more?
Join the Senior Member club and celebrate
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #155

Did it!

Next spring we'll have to meet at Lake Superior Provincial Park or somesuch halfway point.
We can sit around and be a couple of grizzled old veterans.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #156
Mostly Harmless

Congratulations on reaching the coveted status of Senior Member! Although your official swearing-in will have to wait until the next Gathering, you may begin wearing the Official Senior Member Robe and Cap and carrying the Hiking Stick of Office at once. Chicken feet are optional. Here's a quick run-down of your new privileges and obligations.

1. You may cut in line at any camping event with impunity, whether the line is for the bathroom, S'mores, or even the check-in line at the entrance. If anyone gives you grief about it, show them these rules.
2. All communications from you must be worded in such a way as to sound fully informed and supremely confident, even if you haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about. You perhaps have noticed that I've been modeling this behavior for months in light of your impending status upgrade.
3. As Senior Members a pro rata share of all dues and initiation fees collected from Junior Members and Noobs will be deposited periodically in your bank account. To facilitate the funds transfer, send me your banking information ASAP.
4. Be respectful of all Moderators. Remember, you do not outrank them. They have the power to delete you. You can tell a moderator from a distance by the ermine trim on their Robes, the ostrich feather in their Caps, and the Tiki Torch of Office. You may not cut in line ahead of a Moderator, and when asked you must cook their hot dog exactly to order, lest you be whomped upside the head with the aforesaid Tiki Torch.
5. Likewise, be kind and tolerant toward all those of lower rank. If they survive the hazing at the next Gathering they may someday become Senior Members themselves and be allowed to wreak vengeance upon you. You don't want to have that happen. Don't ask me how I know.

That should do it for now. If the drugs wear off and I remember more I'll let you know.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
That should do it for now. If the drugs wear off and I remember more I'll let you know.
more please, if you are viewing this in your iPad: lol
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #158
Mostly Harmless

6. When addressing fellow Senior Members in public or when a Junior Member is present, address each other as "Enlightened One." If given permission to speak in the presence of a Moderator, address him or her as "Exalted One." Otherwise just between us Mucky-Mucks a simple "Psst! Hey Buddy!" will suffice. This should have been covered in your new member orientation, had you been paying attention.

And this just in: Use of the Secret Sign has been discontinued after reports that some new members were badly injured using it at a biker bar...
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #159

Well, I guess I'm OK as long as there isn't some sort of ...senior member's proficiency test. You know -the kind where they expect you to do unreasonable, outlandish stuff like:

- Light a campfire without the use of accelerants, road flares or prohibited military ordnance...

- Back a trailer into a narrow (less than 30 yards) site within 10 tries...

- Manage the previous without resorting to colourful language...

- Manage the previous without sweating profusely...

or my personal bugaboo:
- Ensure your fly is done up before the respectable folks from the next site over show up to have a look at your RV...
Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #160
Mostly Harmless

Those were all considered but the failure rate was over 100%, what with some in the sample failing 5 or more times. Amazingly, it was the fly thing that knocked most of them out. Eventually it was decided: no test.

As I'm feeling somewhat humor impaired this morning, and given that this thread has bounced around from topic to topic so much, I'm going to suggest a project for anyone interested this winter: make a fire piston. I thought of this from your remark, Don, about starting a fire sans incendiaries.

Search for "fire piston" on YouTube and you'll soon be intrigued, I think. I was. There are at least a half dozen videos about how to make one. I made two attempts late last winter--dismal failures, both--and finally stumbled across one available commercially (http://sparxgear.com/videos/). But making one yourself is such a Macho Guy thing to do that I might give it another go this year.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner