Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #1

A128s Front Wall Problem and Repair

Over the past few weeks. I've noticed that the front wall on our A128s was warped. (I didn't take any pictures of this.). Has anyone else encountered this problem with their A128s or Flagstaff equivalent (units with front storage)?

I felt like this was due to the torsion springs putting a great deal of pressure on the wall. There was some separation at the center where the 2 wall panels joined.

I had recently worked with my dealer on replacing my defective microwave and did not feel like going through another length and frustrating warranty repair at this time.

I decided to strengthen or shore up the wall by adding a 1x8" by 81" board across the front inside the storage area. I added an additional 1x2" board at the base of the 1x8" to keep the wall rigid. I secured everything with screws and washers.

This wall is pretty darn flimsy. I hope that my fix has made the wall much stronger and more stable so that I won't have to worry about tools and equipment punching holes into cabin. Also, I hope this will stop any future wall distortion.

My modification is shown below.

2012 Rockwood A128S "Rocko" 200+ Nights!
Nights Camped 2012 - 2016 = 194
Nights Camped 2017 = 30 as of Nov 18, 2017)
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #2

David, your reinforced storage wall looks great! I think the nature of these trailers is always going to have us wary of twisting due to their basic structure.

I dont have your unit so no help for ya there. I do know if I dont have my stabilizers set down & if unit is not leveled before opening it, will be "off" and hard to latch on one side...

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
David, your reinforced storage wall looks great! I think the nature of these trailers is always going to have us wary of twisting due to their basic structure.

I dont have your unit so no help for ya there. I do know if I dont have my stabilizers set down & if unit is not leveled before opening it, will be "off" and hard to latch on one side...

Thanks for the positive comment. I really hope this keeps the bulge in the center from reoccurring.

I have to put down the front driver's side stablizer with an extra turn to get the roof pin/bolt to line up with the wall.
2012 Rockwood A128S "Rocko" 200+ Nights!
Nights Camped 2012 - 2016 = 194
Nights Camped 2017 = 30 as of Nov 18, 2017)
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
Thanks for the positive comment. I really hope this keeps the bulge in the center from reoccurring.

I have to put down the front driver's side stablizer with an extra turn to get the roof pin/bolt to line up with the wall.
I am going to try that and see if it makes it easier...last time I leveled it and yelled at my friend to come inside and help me push. When I returned home, I mentioned to my Dh who told me it woild be the nature of these trailers by the way they fold and are hinged together.

He was reprimanded me more about the bottom corners of the dutch doors because I wasnt careful and bent them from constantly opening them against the other. My friend kept opening just the top half to talk to her dogs. I would then open the lower half to get out of the triler..between the two of us we were worse than adolescent brats. Anyway, by the time the weekend was.over, it was clear to me how much the trailer walls move against themselves.It is encouraging to see how well the walls can be reinforced.

I hope others with your model will chime in....always nice to know youre not alone. LOL

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a128, a128s