Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

A192hw wdh?

Does anybody know if there is a recommended weight distributing hitch that will work well with the A192HW?
I have a Reese single bar WDH but it will not work because of the location of the propane tank mount.(which is welded onto the trailer frame). I don't want to void my frame guarantee by grinding off welds and making new propane and battery mounts. I figure there must be a WDH that will work, but I don't want to spend the money until I know it will work.
Thanks,
Joe in New Hampshire
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

I have an A122 RBST and have an Equalizer e2 that fits just fine and I love it. Have the double propane set up and it works great
Old 05-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #3

The dealer raised the dual propane tank rack by about 1.5" to fit the Equalizer 600/6000 WDH. The Equalizer is well worth the $340 I paid for it and its installation (at time of camper purchase). Having test driven the rig before and after, I would never attempt to tow that kind of tongue weight with my minivan without WDH again.

Fred W
2014 A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer 600/6000 (built-in anti-sway)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #4

Thanks guys for the replies. Looks like the Equalizer e2 will probable be the way to go for this application. I went out and looked at the propane setup and I can see now that you can raise the tank mount using a spacer so it won't interfere with the hitch. Thanks Fred!
I see that they now have a 450/4500 model that will work great for me.
Thanks again
Joe in NH
Old 05-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

Those have always looked like great hitches. I have only used the simpler round bar type WDH system before but have though about getting a Equalizer just to level out my ride a bit. After you unhitch the camper, what happens to the spring bars? Do you have to remove the hitch from the receiver?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Those have always looked like great hitches. I have only used the simpler round bar type WDH system before but have though about getting a Equalizer just to level out my ride a bit. After you unhitch the camper, what happens to the spring bars? Do you have to remove the hitch from the receiver?
The spring bars remain in the socket in the hitch after unhitching. They are released by pulling out a spring tab that retains the bar in the hitch. I store the bars just under the front of the camper.

Because our tow vehicle is a minivan that we use for day trips while camping, I remove the hitch and store it next to the bars until we are ready to leave.

Either before or after putting tongue on hitch, insert the bars into the hitch sockets. Raise the tongue while attached to TV, and swing bars into place on the L-brackets. Insert retaining clips into L-brackets, lower tongue, and I am done.

Fred W
2014 A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer 600/6000
Old 05-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #7

Thanks for the info.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #8

Well, after talking to several hitch manufacturers, it looks like none of the hitches have enough drop to work with the rather high trailer hitch on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow vehicle. Some have longer shanks available but at a high price. Since I already have the Reese single bar hitch, I am going to relocate the propane bottles next to the front of the trailer, and move the battery up near the hitch. This should give me enough room to mount the lift for the single bar hitch across the trailer tongue at the proper position. I couldn't figure out why Rockwood put the propane bottles in front and the battery next to the front of the trailer anyway. Looked kind of dumb to me.
I will keep you all posted on my progress and I thank you all for the help and suggestions.
Joe in NH
Old 05-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampweasel View Post
Looked kind of dumb to me.
Me too. It is a curious way to mount them.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Me too. It is a curious way to mount them.
Don't know about the other models, but on the plain A122, if you want dual batteries the only place the tongue is wide enough is with the batteries next to the camper, and the propane in front. Even then, dual batteries are limited to size 24 to not overhang the frame.

Disadvantage of this dual battery/single box/single cover strap configuration: in Midwest crosswinds, wind has lifted the battery cover off the box and left it somewhere along the highway (twice). Single strap cover retention doesn't work - as I have learned the hard way. Am making new battery box cover again with 2 straps (actually shock cords) for cover retention.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
camping Colorado and neighboring states one weekend at a time
Old 05-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

Hi Fred
Yep, I thought about only being able to use one battery if I mount it in the front. We decided that if we need 2 batteries we will carry one in the tow vehicle and swap it out when necessary.
Today I chopped out the propane tank mounting bracket and mounted my single bar weight distributing hitch. Took it for a short test drive and it went well but still needs a little fine tuning.
Now I have to make a new mount for the propane tanks and another for the battery and we should be good to go.
Joe in NH
Old 05-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #12

Your choice, of course.

I found out with my previous PUP that battery capacity was by far the limiting factor on dry camping (no hookups). Dual propane tanks are nice, but just one tank will outlast a dual battery install every time (at least for us).

If I were in your shoes, I would not bother with carrying a second battery in the tow vehicle. I would instead carry a small generator - 500 - 1000 watts - to recharge the single battery as needed. The A-frames mount 30 amp (360 watt) converters, and a standard size 24 battery shouldn't recharged at more than 20 amps anyway. So a small, compact, generator (I like to add quiet) will easily take care of recharging the battery without taking much more space or weight than a spare battery in the tow vehicle. And the generator will be easier to use than swapping out batteries. A bigger, heavier generator (2000+ watt for an FR A-frame with Cool Cat) will run the air conditioning OR the microwave, too.

Fred W
keeping it simple so we camp more often
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time