Old 10-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
a212hw 14 foot box

does any member have a 2015 a212hw??? are they worth the difference in size or cost? let me know what you think//

2014 A122s rockwood 2014 jeep grand Cherokee v6 290 hp 4by4
ridgeline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
My wife and I spent a lot of time comparing the T19QBHW (A192HW) with the T21QBHW (A212HW). The T21, although only a 2 foot bigger box, definitely feels much bigger. The center section of the T21 trailer has more open space and seems less cluttered. Our local dealer had the two models parked across from each other, door to door, so it was easy to pop back and forth to compare them.

With the bigger box the larger version weighs in a couple hundred pounds heavier. The cost difference is a whopping $500. Since I don't need to worry about fitting the trailer in a 20 foot garage bay for storage we went with the T21QBHW. Fitting the trailer in to a garage is the only reason I would go with the smaller trailer. I am really looking forward to picking our T21QBHW up in April....

2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800 QSF
TOAD: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Originally Posted by ridgeline1 View Post
does any member have a 2015 a212hw??? are they worth the difference in size or cost? let me know what you think//
Really, it's all personal to you and those who camp with you.

First of all, if the differential cost is that significant an issue, you shouldn't be looking at what you can't afford.

What do you like about your A122S? Does the A212HW have those same features (or improvements)?

What do you dislike about your current camper? Does the bigger model fix any of these dislikes?

We chose the model we have (2014 A122) for some specific criteria:

- fit in the garage. Storing in the garage means easy to work on, improve, fix, etc., between camping trips. Storing in the garage means no winterization which means water system available for a nice weekend even in the winter. Storing in the garage means ready to go 1st thing Friday morning for a long weekend - most of my vacation time is presently used taking kids to/from out-of-state college. Our garage can only hold the smallest Rockwood model, or one of the smaller pop-ups (10ft box or less).

- very easy to use for weekend/long weekend camping. Because of the vacation situation, our old style camping of 9-10 days at a favorite lake-side spot wasn't/isn't going to happen. For weekend camping, short and easy hookup, set up, break down, and storage make life pleasant instead of a grind. The A-frame won out over the PUP here.

- reasonable comfort for just two of us for a weekend in the Colorado mountains and prairies. We camp rather simply - cooking, cleaning, and socializing typically done at the picnic table (or we go sight-seeing) rather than inside. Use campground toilets and showers (often no shower for a weekend). Means the camper has to be comfortable for sleeping and OK to pass time duing thunder storms and rain showers. The A122 floor plan works for us without wasting a lot of space for things we don't use.

- manuverable into tight but scenic camp sites. We usually camp at public campgrounds - and often the nicest sites are the least accessible. We had a 12ft box PUP before that I sometimes had difficulty getting into the smaller sites. While the A122 has a 12ft box, without the extending ends, it's pretty reasonable. The 2WD minivan is more of a restriction than the camper.

- comfortably towable in the Rockies with existing vehicle (Hyundai Entourage minivan). With kids in college, a new or dedicated tow vehicle isn't happening. To not have white knuckle moments, my criteria was absolutely no more than 3000lbs for the camper against a tow rating of 3500lbs. We weigh in around 2500lbs ready to camp and that tows very nicely with a WDH.

We do miss the openess of a PUP - it felt more like tent camping. But we do like the A-frame better for our current camping style - weekends in windy and great temp variations Colorado.

The A212HW appears to be just a larger verison of the A122 that we already have. The bed and dinette gain 5"-6" in width. You have a double sink instead of the single. The stove is moved to other side to gain a bigger fridge (along with the 6" higher wall height). And there is a front trunk for storage. None of these gains mean a lot to us the way we camp. The small bed is good enough for the 2 of us. The smaller dinette is good enough for the 2 of us. Since we don't cook or clean inside, the extra sink is wasted. And we don't need a bigger fridge for weekend camping for just 2 of us.

The heavier weight and additional windage would be closer to the limits of our minivan, and the size means we would have to store in storage yard ($$, accessibility issues, and time involved means less camping).

Evaluate the floor plan, weight, and size against what you want for camping. Choose accordingly, and enjoy. We certainly have.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Like the high wall.. but here are my thoughts when purchasing ... from personal experience
- most think they will spend alot of time in the camper itself ...but when camping, most spend alot of the time outside .. thats why its called camping ..
- i will admit, all the nice stuff that goes along with this camper makes you feel like your can live in it ...sorry .. but you can only stay in it.
- the unit, either small or large in bad weather is a great shelter for a couple of days ... but not for long periods of time .. 2 days of rain and we bug out of the campsite and head either home or to a better weather area.
but most of all .. it all depends on your camping "lifestyle".

hope this helps ..
2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is offline   Reply With Quote