Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

A212HW + 2014 Odyssey

Hello all!

Glad to find this thriving community full of great information. We are looking to downsize to an a-frame camper, we previously camped in a 33' 5th wheel and used a 2008 duramax as a tow vehicle. I never drove the truck other than to tow and drove a beater back and forth to work due to fuel cost and mileage. We love the idea of the a- frame campers and in particular like the rockwoods and the A212hw model. Does anyone have advise as to towing with a 2014 odyssey? I know we will need the transmission cooler and a brake controller etc. Thanks in advance.

Here is a youtube link the the camper...

jd03ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #2

Very nice looking AFrame.
Your odyssey is rated for 3500 pounds max. The Aframe is 2500 empty so when you are loaded for camping you will be up there close to max.
You should be ok but for me if I was traveling far I would be concerned about the transmission.
Put a cooler on it and change the trans fluid ever 40,000 miles or so.
These new transmission don't like to pull much.
Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #3

Congrats on your new A-Frame, alot of nice features!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #4

We didn't purchase a camper yet. Just getting started looking. We will be planning to travel from Ohio to Florida and South Carolina a few times per year though. This is the only thing that concerns me with the van.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

I think it would be ok. I just don't like to be at the max.
I use my F150...it uses more gas but I don't have to worry about weight.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #6

Yeah when I had my duramax I definitely didn't have to worry about weight for most anything. The fuel price,tires, high insurance and massive sticker price is what bothered me. I'm pretty happy with our decision to downsize. I got an accord sport for my commute the oddy is mommas.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #7

If you have kids and dogs, I think it will put you over weight. Not to mention tongue weight- I would recommend air bags for additional rear end lift. Also, you need to reduce your capacity for every 1000 ft in elevation by 200lbs. Mountain/high elevation will be your enemy- be prepared for low gears/high Rpm's/slow speeds.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #8

The major problem you will have to deal with is tongue weight. With the water tank empty, my A122S has a tongue weight in excess of 400# or about 20% of axle weight. Very front heavy. Filling the water tank will reduce the ratio somewhat, but not the actual weight. It would likely overload your TV's rear axle in any type of camping configuration. See if the TV can handle a weight distributing hitch, because if the rear axle is indeed overloaded, or the front axle underloaded, air bags will not help.

Everyone has there own way of dealing with towing, here is mine. When the setup approaches weight limits, don't guess, get actual weights. And do it as you are doing by getting them before the purchase.

The Odyssey has a reputation as a solid performing minivan, but with its passenger comfort ride it is not known as robust TV. So again as my rule, respect the manufacturer's weight capacity unless you have specific knowledge to the contrary.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

I had a pop up towed behind a 2000 Odyssey. I found that the low ride height of the vehicle was an issue even with weight distribution. Engine and tranny were great.

I moved up to a fifth wheel because the Odyssey got written off in an accident.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #10

According to Rockwood specs, A212HW dry weight is 2,332 lbs, and dry hitch weight is 336 lbs. Loaded weight will be within limits, just. Whether you will be within your minivan's payload limit depends on what else is going in the van. Your tongue weight and hitch will likely absorb at least 400lbs of that capacity.

We bought a 2014 A122 to tow behind our 2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan (3500lb tow rating). We went with the smaller model A-frame for several reasons:

- there are only 2 of us (we became empty nesters this year), so didn't need the extra room at night. We mostly camp outside, including cooking, cleaning, lounging. We use campsite restrooms and showers. My vacation time gets absorbed by taking kids to/from college, so the camper is primarily a long weekend getaway.

- wanted to keep it in the gararge, which meant 18.5ft or less in length. Also, the smaller box size is easier to put in small, remote campsites.

- wanted to stay under 3,000lbs towed weight due to camping in Colorado Rockies. Although most minivans have plenty of power, I didn't want to be pushing any limits on the transmission or frame (unibody) or suspension coming down hills with sharp curves.

I found out on the initial test drive that we needed a WDH for proper handling of the combination. Dealer installed an Equal-i-zer 600/6000, which makes the rig handle like the minivan by itself. Would never again tow substantial weight with a minivan without the WDH.

Entourage came standard with a very large transmission cooler, so money was applied to the WDH.

As was pointed out, minivans are low riders. If not careful, it is easy to scrape bottom of hitch on dips and rises. Get the proper hitch that reduces your ground clearance the least.

The high wall is going to impact your gas mileage and power available more than a standard height (we get 17-19 MPG towing, but that is almost always above 6000ft altitude). The sway possibilities will be greater, too, so a setup with both WDH and anti-sway would make towing much more relaxed.

Enjoy your A-frame, we sure do.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #11

things to remember .. towing numbers for vehicles are inflated .. and the total weight for trailers are generally deflated ..
Only from experience ... i would not tow this camper with anything less than a 5000lb capacity for the TV. However that being said ... it all depends on the distances that you tow it. For short draws, weekend trips ect. you should be just fine. For longer vacations with lots to travelling you could run into issues ...
Proper maintenance of the honda would be a requirement .. tranny fluids, differential fluids ect.

d-mo
Old 10-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #12

Maybe you should get one like I have.
We don't have the storage in the front and don't need it.

2011 A128 Specifications
Sleeps4
Length17 ft 1 in
Hitch Weight273 lbs
Dry Weight1846 lbs
Cargo Weight1217 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity26 gals
Tire Size13
Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Only from experience ... i would not tow this camper with anything less than a 5000lb capacity for the TV.
That is my rule of thumb too. Although my Tundra has the capacity to tow three campers at once, so I can't say I've tested my resolve.

Interestingly I stopped at a truck stop yesterday and got my axle weights. The Tundra was no where close to the max rating.

The trailer axle was 2060 lbs, with no water in the tank. A surprisingly low number given the FR stated Unloaded Vehicle Weight of 1,955 lbs. The fridge had a gallon or so of drinks. There were the normal pots and pans under the bench and of course the full water heater. My duffle was on top of a bench

I guess more of the extra weight is really on the tongue. It maxed out my 400lbs home scale compared to the 283 lbs rating. And it is the tongue weight the has me wanting the tow capacity >= to 5000 lbs.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags