Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

A213 HW toilet hose

We have discovered a "glitch" in our new A213HW that seems worth reporting. While relaxing inside our first night out in the camper, we heard the water pump come on for a couple of seconds, then shut off. This repeated itself to the point where I shut the thing off. But, it obviously suggested a small leak somewhere.
When we got back home, I looked all over the place and couldn't find a leak anywhere. Then I got down on my back and slid under the unit and found it. The A213 has a cassette toilet that has a standard water hose running from the fresh water tank to the toilet. It snakes all the way across the bottom of the trailer and, at one point makes a bend to get through a hole in the frame to reach the toilet. Whoever installed this hose pulled it too tight at the bend, crimping it. I don't know how it happened, but the leak was on the top of the hose where the water pressure created a bubble in the plastic liner that covers the hose, and the water was dripping out of that bubble. I cut a section out of the hose and, with a new piece of hose, eased the curve through the frame and, after inserting hose joiners into each end, replaced the leaking section, tightening it with hose clamps. Because I didn't like have a plain old, garden variety, water hose draped under the bottom of the camper, I zip-tied it in a couple of places to make it more secure. I think Forest River ought to be using something more durable underneath the camper. The picture of the piece I replaced is kind of fuzzy, but shows the bubble that formed in the hose. Anyone buying a unit with a cassette toilet probably ought to be aware of this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0364.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	89720  
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

I like forest river products.. and I own a Rockwood aframe. . But these, as most campers, are built to sell. They cut corners and do sloppy work. If they built quality. ...we couldn't pay the price. Glad you were able to correct forest river's mistake. You'll find others.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #3

That really should be PEX, like all the other tubing in the pressurised water system. It seems odd that they would put a garden hose type tubing anywhere on the camper.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

A213 toilet hose

Tom, I agree with you totally. It seems to me that the water hose is vulnerable to anything that might be thrown up under the trailer. I finished fixing the leak by zip-tying the thing up tighter to the framework.

Kdot
Old 04-08-2016, 02:18 AM   #5
New Member in April 2016

I'm get a new 2017 Rockwood A213HW on April 20th - I'll check to see if this is still the case. If so, it will be one of the first things I'll correct.
tippriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

Replace with PEX for sure
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:59 AM   #7

were there any changes from 2016 to 2017 on the A213HW??
stevetoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #8

We have a therford cassette toilet in the A214HW but it does not have any connections to the fresh water tank we fill the cassette toilet tank separately thru the little funnel thing about 4 gallons of water and show's the level thru the little tube inside of the door. I don't know if they changed this on newer models but their is no hose running to the toilet on the 2016 model

Rockwood A214HW
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

A213 Toilet hose

After crawling under the trailer and splicing new hose in to replace the leaks in the water hose, I finally determined that what had happened is that, during the manufacturing process, the toilet was bolted to the floor in such a way that it crimped the water line, causing water to back up in the line due to the pressure coming in from the city water hookup, causing the hose to bubble, and eventually leak. When I got home from our Florida trip, I took the trailer back to the dealer and had the whole thing replaced with PEX. I haven't had it out yet to see if all is now well since I decided to tear out the structure in the front storage box. The long, heavy drawer and shelf in there wastes all kinds of space, so I'm going to redo it. Seems like there's always something to do! Now, if I could just get the weather to cooperate so that I could work on the thing. Forty degrees and rain just isn't conducive to working on the trailer. Someone send warmth please!

Kdot