Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #1

A214 Questions

Now that we are empty nesters, we are looking to get back into camping after selling our beloved Flagstaff a few years ago. Since it is just the two of us, and we would like a bathroom, and we are looking to tow with our Xterra, we are looking at the A214. I am concerned about the tongue weight though, the rating on the Xterra is 500#, and the A124 is 382#. I assume this is without a battery or full propane tanks. With the bulk of the storage space being in front, I am wondering what the realistic tongue weight is?
Also, since it is necessary to use a shower curtain, I am wondering if the hard shower walls can be left at home or if they are necessary?
Thanks!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #2

1. Use a WDH. Your Xterra will thank you, and provide you with a much better ride. We have an Equalizer E2 600/6000 WDH/anti-sway with our Hyundai Entourage (re-badged Kia) minivan/A122. Towing was miserable without the WDH; the wife is a happy driver with the WDH.

2. The yellow sticker will have a more accurate tongue weight - it's weighed before it leaves the factory. You still have to add in battery(ies), 20lb per propane bottle, and 70% of any stuff in the front storage area (if you have one).

just my thoughts
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan with Equalizer E2 600/6000 WDH/anti-sway
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Fred. Were the problems more related to sway or the weight distribution? I did save my Equal-izer hitch when I sold our last camper, but I was hoping not to have to use it. I know the rear suspension is quite soft on the Xterra, but I did install airbags for heavy loads and they do a nice job of firming up the rear.
We are going to be taking another look at it this weekend, I will se what they list for tongue weight.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

FR AFrames don't have a sway problem because the wheels are set pretty far back. But that does give them a TW problem. Use a WDH. Though, there is nothing wrong with an anti sway addition though.

My old Coleman by Fleetwood popup weighted more than my A122S with much less tongue weight. It would sway like crazy over 60 MPH if I didn't keep the storage trunk full and the water heater filled. I used a WDH with my old SUV but stopped with the Tundra. But I still used a friction bar ever time I towed.

The A Frame is a pleasure to tow. No drama at all.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote