Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #1

A214HW Reviews

Hi. We've been looking for something small light and easy to pull for a while now. Went to our local dealer and checked out the A214HW. Seems like a pretty great A frame. Everything we would need. It's just the two of us and a small dog.

I'm just looking for some reviews. Likes and dislikes. How's the shower? How's the cassette toilet? Is the interior actually functional for cooking..eating..etc?

Are there any other A frames that are similar that would be worth checking out? Or even really small travel trailers?
marc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

Hi, I've had an 2017 A214HW for two years and love it. It's just the two of us and an occasional grandchild. The cassette toilet works great, and super easy to empty. Not used the shower yet, but has a full curtain that velcros in place appears adequate. Really glad we got the bathroom version. Things I've added are Led lights in the front and rear storage, and a 3" foam pad for the mattress. Put a battery cutoff switch next to the battery box. Fridge is super cold and the little freezer makes ice quick. Also added a rear camera as the dormer blocks your view, at least it does in my Nissan Xterra.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forest River Forums mobile app
Dan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

We just sold our Rockwood A122 and bought a 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as Rockwood A213HW).

We investigated all the Rockwood/Flagstaff A-frame models (as well as other makes) before settling on the twin bed/high wall layout as best suited to our camping style. the A214HW was initially our choice, but after looking at both, we finally chose the twin bed without the shower. Why?
  • Our camping style is normally 1-4 nights in a given site. Then it's back home or on to another place/park. The ease of setup and take-down is very important to making the short stays fun. We use the inside of the A-frame for sleeping and napping/lounging when weather outside is nasty or too hot. We have never cooked inside the A-frame yet (except for using the microwave). We have always cooked and washed dishes at the picnic table. If your camping style is different, then your needs/wants will be different. I install 2 GC-2 batteries to carry us for the stay when dry camping. No generator or solar needed (so no additional setup/take down or monitoring) with reasonable power use.
  • The single full/queen bed in the A122 resulted in me crawling over my wife to get up in the morning, or in the middle of the night, or to walk the dog. The high wall does significantly improve the headroom for the person on the outside, which makes the full/queen more acceptable. But here is still a crawl-over, which the twin/king bed eliminates.
  • Having a toilet inside was a highly desirable want/necessity for our upgrade due to the nastiness of a few of the vault toilets that are prevalent in National Forest (and many state park) campgrounds in Colorado. Most are kept clean, but a few are not, especially in the off season.
  • The shower is not so much of a thing for us. We had one in the tent pop-up prior to our 1st A-frame, but never used it. If we are really desperate for a shower at the site, a sponge bath with the outside shower suffices.
  • The shower wall and enclosed toilet adds to setup/take-down complexity with little gained for us. The toilet privacy is not that important for something we don't use on most trips. When not in use, the toilet cabinet cover in the TBHW is a useful surface to put stuff.
  • Probably the deciding factor was the unusable dinette (for us) in the A214HW. The wheel well intrudes on the foot space under the table, and the short length means our feet will be touching. Because of the small dinette, there is a shortage of usable lounge space, and there is only the one bed. The TBHW (A213) has the twin beds with an aisle between, which can be filled with a cushion to make a king bed. And the dinette provides another single bed, as well as seating for 3.
  • The dormer really adds light and airiness to an A-frame. The dormer window is above "peer-in" height, which gives privacy with the light. The dormer also adds complexity, weight, and cuts out any rear view over the top of the camper when towing. The dormer is a net plus in my eyes, but there are drawbacks.
  • The TBHW has a much larger sink than my A122 did. This sink appears usable, though I have not used it yet. The sink drain on the outside is now a garden hose standard fitting instead of the 1.5in monstrosity of old. I just screw on a short standard hose and put the end in a bucket.
  • The higher cabinets on the high wall models make using the fridge, stove, microwave, sink, and drawers/cabinets much less of bend-over operation. We like it. The drawback is noticeably increased wind resistance for my tow vehicle (minivan).
Hope this helps in your evaluation and decision.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #4

We have a 2018 A214HW and love it so far. Unfortunately we have only used it 7 or 8 times in the year and a half we have owned it but that's just life sometimes. The cassette toilet works well and is very easy to empty. We have used the shower several times and it works fine with the obvious drawback that there is no gray tank so you will have to set up a "blue buddy" or something similar for the water to drain in to. Complete set up takes about ten minutes including the shower, dormer, and water and electric. I tow with a 2018 F150 so it hauls very easily and my mileage is a ton better than it was with my previous 28' travel trailer!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #5

I highly recommend A213hw we love ours. The model with the twin beds offer more floor space. no crawling over someone to get out of bed. I don’t think a shower option is worth the hassle in other models. The twin bed version is like having 2 couches to sit on when not sleeping. Very large frame people may feel the twin are small. 30” wide area but works for us. a person always has the king option. Most people I talk to do no like to set up and take a bed down each night. once you set up the king option most likely you will want to leave it that way. However you can sleep length ways and scoot to the end of the bed instead of climbing over someone.
Katerjane1 is offline   Reply With Quote