Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

About done with Forest River!

I have been to a dozen dealers. Been lied to, false promises and am at the end of my rope. I even drove to the factory last week and toured the plant, thank you Brett. Twice I have driven hours just to get to a dealership to have them tell me it was sold...really, because you took my deposit! They hand it back but it doesn't cover a day off work and four hours of gas each way. Then I am assured the toy hauler model is there...oh no they had the bike model, but they are willing to give it to me for the same price. Tom Raper RV had me waiting a month for an Aframe that was on order...just to find out that they NEVER ordered it?? Labadie will order one if you go ahead and pay for it (without seeing it?) and you can wait a couple of months. Today I got a quote from RV DIRECT on the exact model I want. An A frame toy hauler. I can pick it up in Albany NY. I called my boss and took tomorrow off, I got the oil changed for my 11 hour each way trip...then RV DIRECT informed me that they don't have it but could order one?? WTH? when I told them how upset I was they were not a bit sympathetic, they said that there was some confusion. Nope, I was getting screwed.

So because of all the dishonest dealers that can't take the time to tell the truth, show trailers on their website that were sold months ago, tell you to hang on because they are on order and they are not, and my favorite...the bait and switch. I am no longer in love with the Rockwood aframe. Dishonest dealers can ruin a good thing, and they did. I am going to spend the rest of my day checking out Aliners, they are lighter. I will check out Chalets with their opening assist. Rockwoods are not the only A frame out there and my money is good anywhere. I just wish the president of the Forest River company could read how much I loved his product and how much I don't anymore. I just wanted a camper.
boss mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

I will say that what I am about to say is a general statement. Owners of companies want their customers to be sheep. They like sheep. You my fine sir are not a sheep.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #3

The worst thing about buying a unit is buying it. My experience with dealers is not good either. It's worth the pain after you get, but I completely understand where you're coming from re dealers. The jokes they tell about used car salesmen apply in spades to them. BUT . . . it's not Forest River dealers - all dealers are pretty much the same. Don't give up.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #4

You will be told that 'all' RV companies and sDealers are like this (but some will bend over backwards to help you ((not))) Sign of the times. If I knew about all of the issues of my piddley poorly built unit at the time I bought it a year ago, I would have stayed with my 1995 unit from another manufacturer. Too many corners have been cut since the depression years between 2001 to now. They will only get worse, as the profit margins only get smaller and the inventories have to be kept to a bare minimum. There is a unit out there for you. Wait for it and it will fall in your lap. Go over it with a fine tooth comb three or four times and buy a two year warranty. Plus, I hope that you are a good fix it and repair person, if not, you will become one. If you like the floor plans of the Forest Rivers, there is a unit for you. But know that the 'cost' of a FR or any other manufacture will always be higher than the purchase price.

Good hunting.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
DDC

Wow I sure feel sorry for all the s$*^t you have been put through and I now feel lucky that the dealer I have ( Can-Am RV London Ontario) is nothing like what you describe there is nothing better than a dealer with a conscious.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Site Team

I sent you a PM with some suggestions.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #7

Sounds like a great plan to move to another manufacturer. Find a manufacturer and dealer that treats you the way you want to be treated. Don't be in a hurry and buy what you like.

Post some pictures here when you get your non-FR trailer. Good luck!!!
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

Boss Mare,

It is ALL about the dealer and good ones are few and VERY far between I fear to say

Sounds like you are in New York a long way from a dealer I can wholeheartedly recommend (in AL )

Maybe someone can chime in with a recommended RV dealer. Also, you can check out this thread in the fourms:
Dealer Reviews - Forest River Forums

Best of luck.!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Camper Less Camping

Yep, it's very difficult to find a Dealer that will truly treat you like a family member!
As others stated, keep hunting and when you do find that straight laced Dealer...make sure to keep them close to you...invite them over for the game and attend their family get togethers...LOL...but seriously, you got to feel good when spending your money on a luxury item...take your time and enjoy the experience

Old 06-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
Sounds like a great plan to move to another manufacturer. Find a manufacturer and dealer that treats you the way you want to be treated. Don't be in a hurry and buy what you like.

Post some pictures here when you get your non-FR trailer. Good luck!!!

None of these issues are really FR issues. Seems to me you've found a good manufacture, so it's about finding a good dealer. FR, nor any other manufacturer, controls how you're treated by a dealers customer service.
I can sympathize with your frustration... But it should be directed at those who are actually creating it.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #11

Wait! Wilmington RV in North Carolina has saved my faith in humanity. The owner went out to the unit and said...ask any question you want. I wanted to know what size tires, freezer, all girly things. Then he said that when I arrive he will have spent a couple of hours testing every single item in the camper. A non working propane tank isn't gonna do me any good. He is throwing in all hoses, electrical converters and everything else I need to camp that night. So we are driving a solid 12 hours next week. I have a deposit emailed to me already. Wilmington RV I am impressed with you.
boss mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
Striving for Intermediate

Sounds painful. Makes me feel good about spending $2000 more with a local dealer who had our unit on the lot. They have even been good about getting to the warranty work so far.
cinman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #13

Best of luck to you!
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #14

Sampson killed 10,000 Phillistines with the jawbone of an ass... and millions of dollars in sales are killed each day with the same weapon...

Sorry for your troubles...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #15
ARLO

Family RV

Family RV in Palmyra, NY does not fit the bad dealer mode. They are very pleasant to deal with and very fair. Our Flagstaff was all prepped and ready to go when stated. Larry, the owner, bent over backward to make sure our delivery went without a hitch. We were given a tour of he facility and his mechanic went over the trailer with in detail. We would definitely go back. Another good dealer in NY is in Cicero. Their name is Caps "n" Campers and we had good luck there also.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Quote:
None of these issues are really FR issues.
Seems to me you've found a good manufacture, so it's about finding a good dealer. FR, nor any other manufacturer, controls how you're treated by a dealers customer service.
I can sympathize with your frustration... But it should be directed at those who are actually creating it.
The end.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #17
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You will be told that 'all' RV companies and sDealers are like this (but some will bend over backwards to help you ((not))) Sign of the times. If I knew about all of the issues of my piddley poorly built unit at the time I bought it a year ago, I would have stayed with my 1995 unit from another manufacturer. Too many corners have been cut since the depression years between 2001 to now. They will only get worse, as the profit margins only get smaller and the inventories have to be kept to a bare minimum. There is a unit out there for you. Wait for it and it will fall in your lap. Go over it with a fine tooth comb three or four times and buy a two year warranty. Plus, I hope that you are a good fix it and repair person, if not, you will become one. If you like the floor plans of the Forest Rivers, there is a unit for you. But know that the 'cost' of a FR or any other manufacture will always be higher than the purchase price.

Good hunting.
Whoa there .... broad brushes being what they are, and what they do....

I am here to tell you that there ARE dealers out there that will bend over backwards for you/US. I'll put my dealer (Route 66 Certified BTW) up against any RV dealer out there, no matter the brand.

I have two other brand dealers right here in my home town....was NOT impressed with either of them or their brand.

So we drove 90 miles away to;

Bayou Outdoor Supercenter in Bossier City, LA which is absolutely AWESOME! We've bought two (new) RVs from them in the last year and could not be more happy with their sales, and service after the sale.

They have *earned* our business and our loyalty.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

I am here to tell you that there ARE dealers out there that will bend over backwards for you/US. I'll put my dealer (Route 66 Certified BTW) up against any RV dealer out there, no matter the brand.

I have two other brand dealers right here in my home town....was NOT impressed with either of them or their brand.

Bayou Outdoor Supercenter in Bossier City, LA which is absolutely AWESOME! We've bought two (new) RVs from them in the last year and could not be more happy with their sales, and service after the sale.

X2!

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
X2!

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app
X3

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Cheyenne Camping Center walcott Iowa.
Awesome great dealer!
Fast friendly dealer!

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river