Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #1

Advice before I purchase Rockwood A127TH ? Deciding in next 10 days.

Mom of 2 young sons, pulling with a Ford Explorer. I plan on recording the walk through tour. I also plan on getting an insurance rider and it can store in my garage. Any other good advice? Thanks everyone
boss mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #2

Glad you are thinking about insurance. Make sure the agent explains exactly what is covered in the policy you are buying. The agent can bind the insurance over the phone before you take delivery, if needed, so you are covered from the first time you hitch up.

A few agents are surprisingly ignorant of RV insurance products. They don't cost much, so agents don't earn much commission. The less conscientious agents may try to bluff you. So make them do their job.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
Mom of 2 young sons, pulling with a Ford Explorer. I plan on recording the walk through tour. I also plan on getting an insurance rider and it can store in my garage. Any other good advice? Thanks everyone
My advice - for whatever you think it's worth:

1) double check dimensions. The only model that would fit in our garage was the plain A122 - everything else was too long. Measure carefully, and leave enough to spare for clearances for any garage shelving (we have quite a bit), garage door to close, ability to move around the trailer in the garage (we get snow-bound on occasion in Colorado, keeping and accessing stuff like snow blowers and shovels with the camper in the garage is important). I also found out that the published width does not include fixtures and door handles and similar items - those take a few inches more. Result is I move our A122 in and out of the garage by hand as I'm down to about 2 inches on either side going through a standard single garage door frame.

2) double check your weights and tow ratings. The experts at PopUp Explorer - Index are really helpful in analyzing tow vehicle/trailer combinations. Depending on options and model year, tow rating of an Explorer can be all over the place. My experience with a '92 Explorer towing a PUP was that the standard Passenger tires didn't hold up very well. Switching an Explorer to Light Truck tires really makes a difference in vehicle capability. Unfortunately, I had to replace my original equipment P-metric Firestones (3 of 4 blew out on gravel roads) long before the law suits over those tires were won.

3) be prepared to have a WDH/sway bar installed. I did not have one with the Explorer/PUP combo, and I would almost always get sway above 62 MPH. When I took delivery of the A122, I didn't like the way the minivan tow vehicle and the trailer "bounced" during a low speed test drive. Had an Equal-i-zer combination WDH and anti-sway installed - the difference is night and day in the ride comfort and secure feeling instilled.

just my experiences
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Advice before I purchase Rockwood A127TH ? Deciding in next 10 days.

I candidly recorded the final dealings with the dealer. An iPod or iPhone has a good recorder app. I replay what I recorded several times and ask questions for clarification the next day. I did the same recording during PDI...

I got an extended warranty for 7 years bumper to bumper and tire/rim road hazard (cost $799), both are transferable. After several months I found out from this forum that FR offers lifetime warranty for major parts of the TT for $100. I was able to get it by telling FR that my dealer did not offer it to me.

Check the TT brake adjustments before taking off. I trusted the dealer to do that for me because they installed the device. It was set too high and the TT was fish tailing going downhill just trying to slow down, it was skidding (road was wet) trying to stop my TV. It was a close call accident but what an experience, I pulled over to a park, read the instruction on how to adjust the brakes of the device.

Also check the expiry date of the propane tanks, I just found out that the tanks I got expires 2016, my A128S was purchased 2012.

Good Luck and Enjoy your new toy!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Incheon, S. Korea

I agree with pgandw - that little trailer is LONG.
It wouldn't have fit in any of my past garages except for the house I grew up in.
It's supposedly 22'6" long from the tip of the tongue, but I don't know if that included the spare tire on the back.
Let us know what you decide!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #6

So mad that I don't even want a Forest River A frame!

Went to the dealer today who was full of promises...only to find out he didn't even have the Toy Hauler model that we spoke about 4 or 5 times. He can order one and have it ready In 6-8 weeks. So I bought a new hitch, woke the boys up 5 a.m. Drove 4 hours one way for a pack of lies. So mad they can keep their camper. I am driving home and simmering...again.
boss mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #7

That stinks!

At least you found out what the dealer is like before you purchased it. There are good dealers, keep looking.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea

Don't assume anything when dealing with dealers. I did because I live in Asia-the rest is history.
Look at the dealer recommendations here and elsewhere. Make phone calls.
You MUST visually inspect the trailer you are going to buy BEFORE you commit to ANYTHING. Unfortunately QC issues seem to be the norm these days-trust me.
Where are you located?
I'm sure that folks here will know who to deal with.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood