Old 05-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #1

Advice from the A-Frame Crew

I am a HTT owner. We have a Roo 233s, but my in laws are thinking about investing in an A-Frame and I told them to get a Rockwood for sure because we have been so happy with ours.

Wanting any advice I can pass on to them. They are an older retired couple. Just them. No kids. No pets. Just looking to camp and enjoy some Texas State Parks. Any thing you can offer to help me steer them in the right direction is appreciated.

Rockwood Roo 233s
F-150, Ecoboost, ProPride 3P
RooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooDad View Post
I am a HTT owner. We have a Roo 233s, but my in laws are thinking about investing in an A-Frame and I told them to get a Rockwood for sure because we have been so happy with ours.

Wanting any advice I can pass on to them. They are an older retired couple. Just them. No kids. No pets. Just looking to camp and enjoy some Texas State Parks. Any thing you can offer to help me steer them in the right direction is appreciated.
That's a big order. Since we don't know much about them. What kind of tow vehicle do they have. Do they need a twin bed model? No stepping/crawling over each other at night. We love our twin bed Flagstaff T21TBHW. It will convert into a king bed. Would they want a highwall ir shortwall?
My suggestion is to get them to walk through several models and lay on the bed and sit in the dinette of each one. Would they store it in the garage? Size matters in that case.

MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
That's a big order. Since we don't know much about them. What kind of tow vehicle do they have. Do they need a twin bed model? No stepping/crawling over each other at night. We love our twin bed Flagstaff T21TBHW. It will convert into a king bed. Would they want a highwall ir shortwall?
My suggestion is to get them to walk through several models and lay on the bed and sit in the dinette of each one. Would they store it in the garage? Size matters in that case.

Thanks Monty. Letís just say they will have an adequate tow vehicle for a 3,000-4,000 lb trailer. They are open for the two twin beds or the king model. Really just looking at options and opinions now. High wall and short wall I donít know the difference. They will have a covered space to keep it. Appreciate the post.

Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 05-19-2018, 12:10 AM   #4

Visit some dealers and RV shows so they can see everything out there. Who knows what might strike their fancy?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:20 AM   #5

We owned an A-liner for years and traveled all over the country in it. Loved it. For "mature" folks, I recommend they visit a dealer and try raising and lowering the A-frame. This requires enough strength to lift a reasonable amount over one's head, but there are power lift models available. How tall/large they are may make a difference in their choice of layout. The regular bed is a problem when the person sleeping next to the wall has to climb over their partner. A-frames are a breeze to tow and a good size for 2 people. Also easy to store in the garage.

Rockwoods have corrected a problem with A-liners-a too small air conditioner. A-liners used to come with a 5000 btu AC which was not adequate for hot climates. I see on the website that Rockwoods are equipped with A 10000 BTU Coolcat which should be fine. Although available, I cannot endorse bathroom facilities in an A-frame. It is just too small and confined-and takes up space needed for storage. This does cut down on campground selections since we sometimes needed to find facilities with showers.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
Itching to go . . .

Like MontyPP, we have a T21TBHW & love it. It just fits in our garage and pulls like a dream with our 4Runner.
It sets up as either twin OR king beds and includes all appliances and a built in porta-potty.
High wall means that it is taller from the floor to the top of the cabinets (easier on the back) and it has a larger fridge.
I see you are from Fort Worth - I don't know what they have in stock but I'd suggest a trip over to great folks at Western Campers and talk with them and walk thru some models.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

We are a retired couple and we have a 2017 Rockwood A213HW and we love it. I do most of the camping since my husband doesn't enjoy camping as much as I do. I would advice them to get a high wall like ours with the twin bed option. We had a 192HW but it had a queen bed the next year we traded it for this twin bed model, liking it much better but they would probably want to get a memory foam topper for the beds as they kill my back without them. It has a powered roof which works great and even though the sides are heavy, I can put up myself and I am a female only 5'1". We have plenty of storage even though we have kept the toilet in ours which many people opt to have removed to provide more storage. There are many clever and inexpensive ways to add your own storage. We also use a CLAM screen room when we camp. We spend most of our time in the screen room so we can outdoors without bugs. I have many pictures of my interior I could show them to see how they could improve the storage but we are very satisfied with ours. We started towing with a Dodge Grand Caravan but became concerned about the transmission being taxed so we change to a half ton pick up and we are more confident with that. I have had so much fun decorating my interior. I could provide pics if they want. I love showing it off.
Dee Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Silbaugh View Post
We are a retired couple and we have a 2017 Rockwood A213HW and we love it. I do most of the camping since my husband doesn't enjoy camping as much as I do. I would advice them to get a high wall like ours with the twin bed option. We had a 192HW but it had a queen bed the next year we traded it for this twin bed model, liking it much better but they would probably want to get a memory foam topper for the beds as they kill my back without them. It has a powered roof which works great and even though the sides are heavy, I can put up myself and I am a female only 5'1". We have plenty of storage even though we have kept the toilet in ours which many people opt to have removed to provide more storage. There are many clever and inexpensive ways to add your own storage. We also use a CLAM screen room when we camp. We spend most of our time in the screen room so we can outdoors without bugs. I have many pictures of my interior I could show them to see how they could improve the storage but we are very satisfied with ours. We started towing with a Dodge Grand Caravan but became concerned about the transmission being taxed so we change to a half ton pick up and we are more confident with that. I have had so much fun decorating my interior. I could provide pics if they want. I love showing it off.

Thanks Dee. I would love to see as many pics as you will post. My mother in law is a very creative woman and will love any mods you can show. She too will enjoy making the trailer up to her style and tastes.

Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 05-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

Pictures please. Most like to see what others have done to their rig.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #10

Does anyone know the best way to post multiple photos on here?

Dee Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame