Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #11

I visited a dealer close to me and while looking at the a-Frames I asked him about the screened in "tent". I asked him how does it get stored and he told me that once they attach it with the velcro it is laid on the outside of the front once it is folded down and stored like that with the roof coming down on it. He said that it is a pain in the neck.

What have you done and what seems to be the best thing to do? Or would this be easier like kixonrt66 did in his picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tent .jpg
Views:	103
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	32033  

Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
I visited a dealer close to me and while looking at the a-Frames I asked him about the screened in "tent". I asked him how does it get stored and he told me that once they attach it with the velcro it is laid on the outside of the front once it is folded down and stored like that with the roof coming down on it. He said that it is a pain in the neck.

What have you done and what seems to be the best thing to do? Or would this be easier like kixonrt66 did in his picture?
I take mine off each time and store it back in the bag. It's not easy but no worse than the tent I was in for over 10 years.

K1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40 View Post

You know I had completely forgot that you can leave it attached!

I guess that we don't want to find ourselves having to set it up after dark or in poor weather when we get to the camp site. We almost always set it up the next morning ( drop the front wall, attach it, and set it up).

The awning bag is oversized and the awning is easy to pack and store.
2012 Rockwood A128S "Rocko" 200+ Nights!
Nights Camped 2012 - 2016 = 194
Nights Camped 2017 = 30 as of Nov 18, 2017)
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #14

I like the tip leaving the screen room tent attached to the frame. I will do this when I leave the campsite wet so that I could dry it when I get home. Also when I know I won't stop during the trip and will get to the site late or there are lots of mosquitoes. I have the pop up gazebo and use this instead of the screen room on short trips.

Thanks for the tip...
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #15

A-Frame Attached tent

I have considered buying one of these but several things have prevented me from doing so. I saw a fellow camper trying to erect one of these while camping last summer.
1. There was an abundance of swearing, foot stamping and knashing of teeth during the process and he indicated that he had done it several times!!! What a hassle!!
2. It happened to rain fairly heavily one day and this tent contraption was really wet as you might expect. The owner said that he was not looking forward to setting the whole thing up again in his driveway after he got home so that it could dry out and not mildew. What a hassle!
3. The owner experienced some difficulty with taking down the wet tent and storing it for the drive home.

After this experience I am completely content with my EZ-UP shade shelter. My wife and I can set it up in just a few minutes and it is very sturdy. I have solid walls for mine, but I understand that screen walls are available for these. Of course it is not actually connected to the camper, but it has a lot more room and it is a LOT easier to handle. $199.00 at Sam's Club. It occurred to me that the reason I bought my A-frame camper in the first place was because I was tired of dealing with tents. Setting up complicated tents and drying them out when I get home is what i want to completely avoid.

Kix
Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #16

Another thing I was thinking about is if it has been raining and the velcro attached tent is wet I don't think it would be a good idea to put it on top of the side that folds down then lower the roof on top of it. I would imagine water would get into the interior of the A-Frame or am I wrong. If it is wet you would have to set up the trailer to let everything dry out before storing it.

What are the proceeders before storing when you get home if wet or dry.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #17

Have both the pop-up and screen room if you could afford them. Here is my side of owning the screen room:
- Took it as a challenge setting it up at the beginning, from over an hour down to 20 mins was my reward
- Developed a peg less system for the room
- Permanent room for cooking and eating so I don't have to break my bed to a table
- I could leave my A-frame door open
- Place to get/kick your friend to sleep there at night because of whatever reasons or extra bed space
- Privacy when the screen windows are up
- It was included with my deal so I'm using it all the time. $600 is too pricey to buy after.
- With the tip I learned here, it will be easy to dry it out after I get home
- One winter passed and no mold issue
- it only takes an hour of sun to dry out
- 10 mins to take down, very easy to fit in the bag it came with.
- mostly because it is customized for our rig, fits like a glove and extra living space is bonus

I'll get another if mine breaks down completely in the future.

Nice pic of the screen room I found in the web:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-189343404.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	32051

Happy Camping with the Screen Room!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #18

- Developed a peg less system for the room -- What do you mean? Attach pictures ??

- I could leave my A-frame door open --- How? Or do you mean 'half' open? I don't think the door can fully open with the tent room in place.

Thanks....!!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #19

For us an EZ-Up is much less money and hassle. We were early adopters so the screen room didn't even come out until a few model years after we bought our A122.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin View Post
- Developed a peg less system for the room -- What do you mean? Attach pictures ??

- I could leave my A-frame door open --- How? Or do you mean 'half' open? I don't think the door can fully open with the tent room in place.

Thanks....!!!!
This is what I've post #4 of this thread in page 1, how I don't use pegs to secure the screen room and how to set up easily.

Yes, just leaving the door open and not slamming the door close all the time when the screen room is not up is great. Just remember to close the door and window before cooking or else the smoke alarm goes off.