Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #1

AFrame attached tent room

Bought trailer last year. Went crazy trying to attach tent. Gave up.

Today I decided to give it another try. This time I did get it up but I found out that the velcro/tape instructions (and thus the tent) are for the original style AFrame where the rear and the front are similar. It is not made for attaching to the AFrames that have a storage bin across the front. Even the screen for under the trailer is too short for my AFrame. It stops just where my storage compartment attaches to the main part of the trailer. I think it can be adapted to fit, but I must contact dealer/manufacturer tomorrow.

My dealer installed the velcro tape just like the instructions said. But ain't no way the tent will reach the front of the storage bin where he placed the velcro tape (as instructions specified).........

And yes, I agree with the suggestion of unzipping the front (parallel with the trailer side) tent panel before attempting the attaching. Way too much material to work with otherwise.

Another AFrame poster recommended a 6.5' 2x4 placeing under each stabilizing jack to be used as a side anchors for the tent. I think that is a great suggestion tho it seemed like my tent might require 8' 2x4s.

Also, would someone tell me how to keep the trailer door open without destroying the top of the tent?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin View Post

Today I decided to give it another try. This time I did get it up but I found out that the velcro/tape instructions (and thus the tent) are for the original style AFrame where the rear and the front are similar. It is not made for attaching to the AFrames that have a storage bin across the front. Even the screen for under the trailer is too short for my AFrame. It stops just where my storage compartment attaches to the main part of the trailer. I think it can be adapted to fit, but I must contact dealer/manufacturer tomorrow.

My dealer installed the velcro tape just like the instructions said. But ain't no way the tent will reach the front of the storage bin where he placed the velcro tape (as instructions specified).........

And yes, I agree with the suggestion of unzipping the front (parallel with the trailer side) tent panel before attempting the attaching. Way too much material to work with otherwise.

Another AFrame poster recommended a 6.5' 2x4 placeing under each stabilizing jack to be used as a side anchors for the tent. I think that is a great suggestion tho it seemed like my tent might require 8' 2x4s.

Also, would someone tell me how to keep the trailer door open without destroying the top of the tent?
I guess our dealer installed it correctly. It does not go to the front of the storage bin. Are you talking about keeping the door open when you are installing? We haven't had any problems opening the door once it is in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2215332992.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	30884

Name:	image-1112292391.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	30887

If you look closely at my pictures this is when we had it installed inside out. Our first try with the tent.

K1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #3

Installed inside out. I like that. Surprised I didn't do it first.

Great that you have the front storage bin. Looks like you installed the velcro tape correctly but not as stated in my manual. My manual says to install front tape as the rear tape is installed, thus placed on the silver rock guard. Could you check your instructions? I am wondering if I was given the wrong tent.......

Could you reply with two detailed pictures?

First one with the door fully open and tent up? The top of my door when fully opened goes higher than the side pitch of the tent. In other words, the top of my door when fully opened goes higher than where the tent velcros onto the trailer's triangular hard side.

Second one of where the front side of the tent meets the trailer body.

I need to go back to the cheyene camping website. They have a lot of pictures with the tent up.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

Quote:

Here is my post #296 A128S Converted from ALINER Ranger
I'll give more details and hopefully you'll have less pain setting it up.
- Do not remove the front screen to save time putting it back.
- unzip the middle and get your way in there, after you attached the tent to the A-frame, put in the middle post and zip up the middle
- make sure to insert the screen on the edges, here are pics:

Name:	image-532023888.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	30990
Use this as a guide to how far back the screen is attached to the frame

Name:	image-3704180037.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	30988
Front, insert screen here

Name:	image-1863078309.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	30989
Rear, same
Note the placing of the velcro line down front and back
- Use the side screen entrance to insert the rest of the poles, make sure the front posts gives the highest height (door issue)

Name:	image-3934467782.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	30991

Name:	image-4251677126.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	30992
Done...
In my post you could use the peg less tip.

The length of the 6.5 2x4 is limited to fit in the front storage and the length is perfect to leave an opening of the side screen door:

Name:	image-1740965916.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	30993

Here is a pic to show you the height of the screen room inside:

Name:	image-2643633971.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	30994
Door will touch the screen roof if you open it to the max

I hope you'll enjoy your screen room as much as I do.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #5

KO777, I like your ideas and your pictures. More questions....

1) put up middle post....you mean the overhead post from top of trailer triangle side panel to tent top front?

2) Insert screen on edges...I assume you mean to attach screen to top edges of the triangular side trailer panel?

3) I noticed in one of your pics, your tent goes under the 3x6" tabs located at both bottom ends of the trailer triangular side panel.....correct? Is this hard to do?? The factory told me to roll the tent off the triangular side corners just BEFORE these 3"x6" white tabs. But looks like you got your tent to fit under these tabs.

4) Make sure front posts give highest height...don't recall corner vertical posts being adjustable, only the overhead tent side posts...Or are the bottoms of the vertical corner posts extendable?

5) side entrance....I still like your idea of 2x4s under stabilizing jacks but would like to go full length of the tent side panels to include tent corner posts. I'm thinking of cutting 2x4s to fit inside front storage as you did but perhaps a way to attach/entend a 1.5' 2x4 to the end of a 6.5' 2x4 in a secure way. I'm thinking this would be good way to attach all of tent on 2x4s when camped totally on blacktop.... Your thoughts?

6) Door will not open fully when tent is attached. I know there will come a time when I boondock on a very hot night. One where I would want my windows open AND MY DOOR fully open for good circulation. Seems like this is a failing of the tent design. Options...??

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
KO777, I like your ideas and your pictures. More questions....

1) put up middle post....you mean the overhead post from top of trailer triangle side panel to tent top front?

2) Insert screen on edges...I assume you mean to attach screen to top edges of the triangular side trailer panel?

3) I noticed in one of your pics, your tent goes under the 3x6" tabs located at both bottom ends of the trailer triangular side panel.....correct? Is this hard to do?? The factory told me to roll the tent off the triangular side corners just BEFORE these 3"x6" white tabs. But looks like you got your tent to fit under these tabs.

4) Make sure front posts give highest height...don't recall corner vertical posts being adjustable, only the overhead tent side posts...Or are the bottoms of the vertical corner posts extendable?

5) side entrance....I still like your idea of 2x4s under stabilizing jacks but would like to go full length of the tent side panels to include tent corner posts. I'm thinking of cutting 2x4s to fit inside front storage as you did but perhaps a way to attach/entend a 1.5' 2x4 to the end of a 6.5' 2x4 in a secure way. I'm thinking this would be good way to attach all of tent on 2x4s when camped totally on blacktop.... Your thoughts?

6) Door will not open fully when tent is attached. I know there will come a time when I boondock on a very hot night. One where I would want my windows open AND MY DOOR fully open for good circulation. Seems like this is a failing of the tent design. Options...??

Thanks.
Yes to 1-3
No to 4, just make sure the poles are straight up and pull the side pole until it can't go any further, so the side screen wall is stretch out tight.

5. I was thinking of doing an L shape to lock on for the front but the ground has to be perfectly flat to use this poles. Using the water jugs for the front should suffice for now. Let me know how you'll do it, start small first.

6. The tent is flexible and you could put some padding on it where the top of the door rubs against and have the door wide open or make a door stopper that doubles as a holder to keep it open to the max before it touches the roof. These are some of my ideas but hopefully someone has a better one.

BTW how many times have you set up your screen room? Maybe post a pic of your rig setup.

Have fun...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #7

KO777,

I called dealer today and explained the tent/velcro situation. He's going to send out a roll of the velcro tape. After I install the tape on front side of trailer I'll retry putting the tent up. But it may be 2-3 weeks before I have a chance to do it. I'll be back to you later. Thanks for your help.

I have tried to put tent up twice, the second time sort of successfully.

#5 Water jugs........1 gallon jugs?
#6 Yes, I was thinking of a 'holder' to hold door at half open (perpendicular to side of trailer).

Pictures? I'd like to but I do not have a digital camera.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #8

#5 big water bottle:

Name:	image-4062646734.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	31099
If I decide to use the front screen door, I could slide one of the bottle/floor board for the opening.

Ok Neil, include a digital camera to your RV kit ASAP, we luv the pictures being shared in this forum.

Good luck on your set up and taking pictures to share here....
Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #9

Ah, 5 gallon (40#) bottles.......

How do you hold down the two corners of your tent when a 6.5' 2x4 only extends 2/3 of the tent side?

Yes, pictures are very welcome.......

Thanks, from the wonterful middle north coast of the Washington peninsula......
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #10

The strap that came with the tent and extend it to tie to the closest tree, this works very well. I guess I could use pegs if there are no trees around or tie it to another heavy water bottle.