Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

Aframe tire replacement

A122BH. Had a bubble develop on one original tire a year ago. Fortunately a friendly driver pointed it out to us and we were able to get it replaced without incident. Tire place replaced it with a Load C rather than a Load D. This last weekend other original tire blew. Again fortunately we were at an intersection when someone pointed the 'flat' out to us. Just came off the freeway and had driven the Grapevine in CA earlier in the day. Good luck is on our side. Again, tire place replaced with C rather than D, said he couldn't find any Ds anywhere. When I asked what difference it makes, he said how much weight we put in the vehicle and how much pressure in the tire (50 now instead of 65). We don't put hardly any additional weight in the vehicle as we don't even load it with water, so it is just dishes and camp chairs.

Has anyone else had an issue with not being able to find D tires? Anyone have any knowledge of if a Load C over a Load D would not be a good thing? Making the 9 hr drive south again this weekend for a family wedding.

Thanks much,
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Carla, I am familiar with tires (as per my username) but not your specific RV. What size tire does it have on it?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #3

Tire says ST175/80R13. Do you need something else?
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #4

You need the Load Range D to carry the full weight the A-frame is capable of.

On my A122, the factory installed ST185R13 Load Range D tires, which have a capacity of 1710 lbs each (3420 lbs) at 65 PSI. My GVWR is 3100 lbs, so there is reserve capacity in the tires when the camper is fully loaded. A trip to the scales showed my actual tow weight as 2,730lbs - and we pack very light, and don't have the front porch of the BH. Since the weighing, I have switched to six volt batteries (add 30lbs on the tongue, carry a few more tools (20lbs), added a mattress topper for the dinette (30lbs), and often travel with a full water tank and hot water heater (170lbs).

Etrailer lists Kenda ST175/80R13 Load Range D tires (1,610 lb capacity) for $84. They also list a few other brands. The Load Range C tire of the same size has a 1,360lb capacity. To be within specs for the Load Range C tire your A-frame as towed should weigh less than 2,600lbs on the tires. Unless you pack very, very light, you are probably at or well over 2,800lbs, with 400 of that on the tongue. So you are right at or over the limits with Load Range C tires. Weighing the A-frame and the tow vehicle separately (in camping trim), and then hitched is the only way to KNOW weights on the tires and the tongue.

I would suspect your actual weights are higher, based on the relatively early failures of the OEM tires. Which would mean you are on borrowed time on the Load Range C tires.

Yes, finding radial Load Range D tires in the right size for our A-frames is difficult. So far the only source I have found for tires for my A-frame (ST185R13 LRD) is a Forest River A-frame dealer. But in your case, I would make the replacement as soon as I could. And I would take the vehicles to a truck or CAT scales to find out what your actual axle and tongue weights are.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Waco and Palo Duro State Park, Texas
next trip: Custer State Park and Mt Rushmore, SD
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla View Post
Tire says ST175/80R13. Do you need something else?
That's it, and yes it would be harder to find that size in a LR D (8 ply rated), especially on the road.

Carlisle has started building one in a LR D, that may be easier to find as time progresses.

http://www.carlstargroup.com/product...adial-trail-hd

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Commercial Member

I suggest you read THIS post to educate yourself on why tires fail.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

The camper came with a Kenda Loadstar ST175/80R13 load range D radial trailer tire. It is the only tire like this (load D and radial) that I have found. One of mine had a bubble in the sidewall too. I purchased a replacement from Amazon but it is not available there right now. The following link has the same tire.

ST175/80R13 Load Range D Radial Trailer Tire - Kenda Loadstar

Tire stores are poorly equipped to handle orders for these tires. I have had more than one shop try to put load range C tires on a too heavy camper. One guy tried to persuade me that a ST175/80D13 was the same thing on the basis that the "D" meant load range D. It doesn't, the D in the code means it is bias ply.

I hope you were in a position to return the blown tires to the seller, because they made a big mistake in putting the wrong tire on your camper that could have resulted in significant property damage from the error.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #8

The tire that bubbled and the tire that blew were the original tires, load D.
The replacements from these incidents are Load C.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Old 08-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
The camper came with a Kenda Loadstar ST175/80R13 load range D radial trailer tire. It is the only tire like this (load D and radial) that I have found.
As linked to in post #5, Carlisle is building these now, and the availability will be greatly improved thus. Should make it easier for a tire retailer to obtain, as I have two Carlisle distributors that both have this Carlisle in stock.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
The tire that bubbled and the tire that blew were the original tires, load D.
The replacements from these incidents are Load C.
I was not terribly impressed to get a sidewall bubble on a Load Star tire. Thankfully I noticed it at a gas station where I could change it with only the penalty of being late for the start of a kayaking trip. But I guess they are OK as I haven't had any other problems nor a full blowout.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 08-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #11

I had the same problems with two of the original tires on my 2012 A frame. Read the warranty, they will replace them if within the time period. They should have a recall on these tires seems to be a real problem. When on the road cant find a d rating tire at most tire dealers at least i couldn't. Keep proper inflation and speed rating for tire is 65 mph. Made in CHINA
OGUYSRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
A122BH. Had a bubble develop on one original tire a year ago. Fortunately a friendly driver pointed it out to us and we were able to get it replaced without incident. Tire place replaced it with a Load C rather than a Load D. This last weekend other original tire blew. Again fortunately we were at an intersection when someone pointed the 'flat' out to us. Just came off the freeway and had driven the Grapevine in CA earlier in the day. Good luck is on our side. Again, tire place replaced with C rather than D, said he couldn't find any Ds anywhere. When I asked what difference it makes, he said how much weight we put in the vehicle and how much pressure in the tire (50 now instead of 65). We don't put hardly any additional weight in the vehicle as we don't even load it with water, so it is just dishes and camp chairs.

Has anyone else had an issue with not being able to find D tires? Anyone have any knowledge of if a Load C over a Load D would not be a good thing? Making the 9 hr drive south again this weekend for a family wedding.

Thanks much,
You're really going to have to get some LRD tires back on that trailer. Discount tire carries Carlisle tires and Carlisle does make your size in a LRD. If not in stock they can probably get them using Discount Direct.

Another option would be to go to the ST175/80R13 in a LRC. It has more load capacity than your OE tires but it's about .6" taller and .2" wider but a lot easier to find.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
The camper came with a Kenda Loadstar ST175/80R13 load range D radial trailer tire. It is the only tire like this (load D and radial) that I have found. One of mine had a bubble in the sidewall too. I purchased a replacement from Amazon but it is not available there right now. The following link has the same tire.

ST175/80R13 Load Range D Radial Trailer Tire - Kenda Loadstar

Tire stores are poorly equipped to handle orders for these tires. I have had more than one shop try to put load range C tires on a too heavy camper. One guy tried to persuade me that a ST175/80D13 was the same thing on the basis that the "D" meant load range D. It doesn't, the D in the code means it is bias ply.

I hope you were in a position to return the blown tires to the seller, because they made a big mistake in putting the wrong tire on your camper that could have resulted in significant property damage from the error.
IMO you need to contact store owner and if a chain the headquarters and tell them you are not happy with the "guy" trying to sell you an unsafe tire for your TT. I would also contact BBB in the town where the store is located. let me know if you need assistance in what statements you can make about the LR-C being unsafe for use on an application that requires LR-D.

I trust you now are more comfortable with tire terminology and know when a salesman is selling you a load bull feathers
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 08-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #14

Carlisle has supposedly started making both the ST175R13 and ST185R13 in Load Range D (and C). Cragar shows shipping in 2 weeks if ordered today.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
IMO you need to contact store owner and if a chain the headquarters and tell them you are not happy with the "guy" trying to sell you an unsafe tire for your TT. I would also contact BBB in the town where the store is located. let me know if you need assistance in what statements you can make about the LR-C being unsafe for use on an application that requires LR-D.

I trust you now are more comfortable with tire terminology and know when a salesman is selling you a load bull feathers
Thanks. I studied tire specs well enough to learn what I needed when I got my first camper years ago. The incident in question happened a while ago and is now past.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #16
World Traveler Member

I had the same bubble on one of my tires and lucky for me I got it replaced with the warrenty.
But, I did find replacement tires on Amazon and they are still avail to order.

2 New Premium Grand Ride Trailer Tires ST 185/80R13 8PR Load Range D - 11059

Sale: $134.70 & FREE Shipping

Most local shops will install for a fee.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #17

Okay, went back to tire shop and they can only get one Load D and would work on getting the second. When I asked if I could order them and bring them in, they said they would mount them and refund what we paid for wrong tire.

Now I see the amazon link above is a 185 rather than 175. Would like to stay with what is on the sticker on the trailer (since the replacement of the first failed tire with the wrong load led to the replacement of the second failed tire with the wrong load). How do I order the Carlisle tire from Crager for two week delivery as posted in #14 by pgandw above? Or should I just order the same tire that was originally on the trailer thru Recstuff for $60 each and $20 shipping? I guess the real question is does anyone know if Carlisle is a better quality tire (since the original Kendas failed)? And how do I find out how much the Carlisle tire would be?

Thanks much for all your wisdom.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Old 08-31-2016, 04:03 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Okay, went back to tire shop and they can only get one Load D and would work on getting the second. When I asked if I could order them and bring them in, they said they would mount them and refund what we paid for wrong tire.

Now I see the amazon link above is a 185 rather than 175. Would like to stay with what is on the sticker on the trailer (since the replacement of the first failed tire with the wrong load led to the replacement of the second failed tire with the wrong load). How do I order the Carlisle tire from Crager for two week delivery as posted in #14 by pgandw above? Or should I just order the same tire that was originally on the trailer thru Recstuff for $60 each and $20 shipping? I guess the real question is does anyone know if Carlisle is a better quality tire (since the original Kendas failed)? And how do I find out how much the Carlisle tire would be?

Thanks much for all your wisdom.

Carlisle is an older US company that is proud of their tires. They even put their name on the tires unlike many of the low cost imports.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #19

I'm sorry. I gave the wrong source for the new Carlisle tires. Try this link:

Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire ST145/12 | JEGS High Performance

Scroll down for the 13" tires. Prices are pretty good before shipping.

Fred W
Old 08-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #20

I'd go with the Carlisle. If for no other reason that to support there being a choice other than the cheap OEM's tires.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
frame, replacement, tire