Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #21

J42,, here's a few shots hitched up and two unhitched.
Maybe it's just me, or the ground I was parked on, but I'd say I'm down a bit at the stern.
I just have the factory tow package with the class 3 hitch.
What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #22

I see sag and lift in those hooked up pictures. A stock Wrangler will have a slightly 'nose down' attitude with no load. I think perfectly rigged up with a camper both the camper and the Jeep should be darn near level on level ground.

You might benefit from a WD Hitch, from a stability standpoint.

I have a buddy with an ALiner Classic and he has a 4 Door 2011. He tows with no WD Hitch, but I have to be honest, I've never seen him hooked up. He always arrives before me, and leaves before me (he's retired, and and arrives at trips 1 or 2 days ahead of me and is ready to go home on the last day way before us).

Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #23

I will add: While I see sag in the rear and lift in the front, it's not enough that I would worry.

I would probably however at a minimum get a receiver that is about 2 or 3 inches higher at the ball than what you have to make the camper more level when towing.

Keep in mind, if you bring the ball up, the rear tire will likely get in the way. One of the benefits of having the WD Hitch setup for me was the shank (part that holds the WD Hitch head) made the ball about 4 inches further away from the bumper, eliminating problems getting the trailer on and off the ball. The 2nd time I towed the camper without the WD Hitch setup, I darn near injured my hand when trying to unhitch and got my hand caught between the ball latch and the rear tire. OUCH!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #24

One final note: Your camper looks so short behind a 4 door, I had to look multiple times before deciding it was a 12' box (not the 10' model that they now offer). Mine looks like a 15' box behind the 2 door...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #25

OK, thanks. Maybe I'll try one out once the camper reappears from the snowdrift it's currently buried in.

I always thought w/d hitches were for the "big kids" (ie: pickups pulling very heavy trailers) but I guess everything's relative. Sure seems to make a difference on your rig.

Mine handled pretty well in the mountains last year, but anything that adds stability can't be a bad thing.

I wondered about the drop in the receiver hitch I have but, as you pointed out, I'm already bumping my spare with the locking lever on the trailer hitch.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #26

Yep, I was alone when I caught my hand between the spare and the latch... Almost panicked but was able to get the latch back down by lowering the jack with my free hand.

I like the one I have (in my signature) and got a good deal through Advance Auto Parts online by way of a coupon and free shipping.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #27

Actually, she is a 10-footer. She has a bunk forward instead of the usual second dinette. That was exactly the configuration I was looking for, so everyone's happy.

I'll likely have to go through one of the Canadian 4X4 accessory dealers to find a proper Reese hitch.
(and while I'm at it, maybe I'll order that dreadfully expensive set of roof racks I've been eyeing up for 2 years...yahoo! )
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #28

Jeep4Two:

I took your advice and measured the amount of movement between hooked up and not hooked up. I stood at the ruler while my friend lowered the camper onto the hitch. I measured a difference of just a tad over 1/16", but not quite an 1/8". Do you think that it's a significant difference?
Thanks for the advice and your help.. I really appreciate it.
Jim
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #29

That doesn't sound like too much to me but your suspension is quite different than mine.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #30

Jeep4Two:

Thanks for your help. I'm placing an order to day for a transmission cooler from Amazon. It's a B&M 70268. (I see you have the same one.) Do you think it's sufficient to keep the transmission in my car from over heating? I'll wait to hear from you before I place the order.

I was planning my first trip for early in March but our weather has taken a turn to the cold. Two days ago we had freezing rain and the daytime temps have not been above 50-55 for over a week. That's a little too cold for me to be sitting outside in a lawn chair. I'm basically a very warm weather guy. That's why I moved here, but for some reason, the weather won't cooperate this year. (Maybe it knows I bought a new camper.)

I just noticed that you're in Kentucky. You're probably having the same weather as I am. I thought you were in Michigan. ("Old Timers Disease" must be setting in for me!)

Thanks,
Jim