Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Another SPUT - fried water pump

Just recovered from another SPUT (Stupid Pop-Up Trick).

Earlier this year, I filled the water tank at home for a trip. I turned the water pump on to fill the hot water heater so that I gain the extra 6 gallons of water (turn the pump on, open the outside shower hot water valve until steady stream comes out). It turned out there was a water hook-up at the site, so I didn't use the water in the tank.

Since we didn't use the water in the tank, I opened the drain valve to drain the water from the tank on the way home. But I apparently forgot to turn the pump off as I closed everything up for the trip home. Closed the tank drain when I got home, but forgot about the pump because the switch is hidden inside the cabinet under the sink.

Just before our last trip to the Black Hills, I again filled the water tank. Discovered the water pump switch on, and pump no longer working. No fuses blown. We made do during the trip fetching water from the spigot 50 yards away.

Pulled the old pump out, read the model number (Shurflo 4008-101-A65) and ordered a new one. $65 and a couple of hours later, new pump is installed.

At first I cross-threaded the inlet screen filter when moving it from the old pump to the new pump. This caused the new pump to suck air and not work. I figured it out when I removed the inlet filter and directly connected the inlet hose - pump worked great.

Also decided to install filter in the big water filter for our upcoming trip to Utah national parks, where water quality and availability can be iffy, especially this late in the year. Dealer never installed the filter into the canister, but made sure I had the wrench and filter.

Installation of the filter was wetter than I expected, even with pressure released. I made things much wetter by dumping the O-ring (unnoticed) into the grass when I dumped the water out of the canister, and then reinstalling canister with filter minus O-ring. Found the O-ring after cleaning up the puddles, and all is fine now. O-ring is something I want to add to spare parts carried.

FWIW, the camper actually tows better with the water tank and water heater full.

Enough of my learning things the hard way. I hope y'all can learn from my SPUTs.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

I did pretty much the same thing about a year ago. Fortunately it is a relatively easy fix.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post

FWIW, the camper actually tows better with the water tank and water heater full.
We learned that, too. It bounces a WHOLE lot less with a full tank sitting just behind the axle. It also saves set up time when arriving at the campground, with no stop at the potable water spigot.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #4

This is one of the reasons I installed a Marinco battery switch on the box, if I forgot to turn anything off or just general battery drain with the switch off the camper is dead.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer330 View Post
This is one of the reasons I installed a Marinco battery switch on the box, if I forgot to turn anything off or just general battery drain with the switch off the camper is dead.
I'm pretty sure the pump was dead before I got home on at least a 2 hour drive with the water tanks drained. 30 minutes without water is the best I would hope the pump to last through.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
Learning a lot as I go...

I am reminded of "winterizing" last year using compressed air.

Had a really tough time getting the water filter cannister open... because it was still under pressure DOH!

Then there was draining the hot water heater. Started unscrewing the plug. Twisting. And twisting. Right up to the point where it blew out and across the street and the water heater blew water all over my leg. Yeah the water heater was still pressurized.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #7

Did the same thing this year winterizing in regard to the filter canister. I know I didn't tighten it that much in the spring. Hard to believe pressure would make it that difficult to loosen. As soon as I opened sink faucet, it came right off.
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty
2016 Toyota Rav4
escape pod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump