Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Any easy to find constant 12V at the back?

I just got my new Garmin with backup camera, and it's pretty nice! It's not as high resolution as the SUV's camera, but it will do the job.

I'd like to have it powered constantly from the tow vehicle, but don't really want to start drilling holes in my camper. Is there an easily accessible 12V source that's always on, near the back? I have a 2014 122BH.

For the moment I have it hooked up to batteries in a waterproof box that I could attach somewhere temporarily, but I'd love to have it hard wired!

There are some exposed wires at the back, which I assume are for the lights, so they probably aren't always powered. I attached a quick picture of them, which is upside down unfortunately.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	57741  
Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #2

One way is to take power from the fridge circuit. It will require some drilling though so plan the route well and do a dry run. You can route into the Cool cat compartment with a small hole in the luan beside the fridge, just be sure to get it high enough to clear the wheel well. Pull the cover off the collcat compartment and look for a route from there. As long as the camera doesn't pull many amps there should be overhead to run both the fridge and the camera off the 20 amp fuse. But carry a spare anyway.

Another option is to run straight from the battery under the frame. Just make sure you have a big enough gauge for the length and put a fuse on the positive wire.

Perhaps someone has found a way to pull a wire along the stock trailer wire routing through the frame, but I've not figured it out.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #3

The other option would be to tie into your running light circuit and always drive with lights on. I was taught to drive pulling a trailer with lights on so this would be the option I would choose

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote