Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Any issues/concerns w diamond jack ground clearance, plywood flooring, lifting strut?

We are considering upgrading from tent camping to the A213TB. The only concerns we have are:
- ground clearance issues w/ the diamond jacks (especially when boondocking in rustic areas)
- plywood flooring under the camper exposed to the elements (any concerns over rotting, mildew, etc, especially w/ storing outdoors)?
- what if the single lifting strut gives out while camping? Can you raise/lower the roof manually?

Has anyone ever had issues with the above or can advise if these concerns are minimal? These are the few items we are hung up on to decide whether or not to purchase. Thanks all in advance!
KendraATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraATL View Post
- plywood flooring under the camper exposed to the elements (any concerns over rotting, mildew, etc, especially w/ storing outdoors)?
The flooring is a product called Structurewood, a type of oriented strand board, not plywood. It is not sealed intentionally because sealing would trap moisture causing rot. Splashing and moisture in the air are not considered a problem. The floors of campers that are maintained so that they don not get seeping leaks will last for decades. The manufacturer puts a very good warranty on the material, although we know that material replacement is the least of the costs if the floor fails.

My first camper was stored outdoors for many years with no flooring problems. The current one has been in the same spot for 3 years or so now.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraATL View Post
- ground clearance issues w/ the diamond jacks (especially when boondocking in rustic areas)
Ripping off the back jacks driving over uneven terrain is always a concern. About all you can do is take it very slow and keep an eye out for special hazards. From looking at them, I suspect the jack will rip away before the camper is damaged. If it becomes a problem, then a non-attached scissor jack can be used.

One thing about the 12 foot AFrames at any rate, it the placement of the axle results in a heavy tongue. There are times I don't bother with the jacks at all. The camper is are not going to tip. It's not like popups with the weight on the rear bed levering way out the back. So the jacks are mostly for comfort and as a solo camper, a bit of bed movement when I roll over at night doesn't bother me.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #4

The flooring material has a 25 year warranty. Probably less of a concern than losing the stabilizer jacks, although it would have to be VERY rough terrain to do that. The model you are considering comes with 14" tires/rims, so clearance is better.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #5

Thanks so much to those of you who have replied. Your input has certainly helped! Looks like we will be proceeding with the purchase and picking up in November, so it will be awhile before we can use it. Hope I can wait out the anticipation!
KendraATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, lift