Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

any thoughts about side mirror extensions?

My wife and I plan to take our T12RB on its maiden voyage in two weeks to Wake Forest NC. This morning my wife towed the T12RB for the first time on the interstate and a rural roadway. She is shorter than me and was uncomfortable using the side mirrors while driving my 2010 Subaru Forester. Would side mirror extensions help her see better?

I also would like to know how to light the hot water heater and the furnace? Do they operate when the stove pilot light is activated by the electronic match clicker located within the outside panel? I assume it gas and not electrically powered like the air conditioner.

You should see me try to back it up
beyond-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Always Learning

I had a pop-up last year before my fifth wheel. I found nothing but good about having the side extension mirrors. In fact, when I sold the pop-up, I included them for the new owner- they're just that stinkin' helpful.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond-there
My wife and I plan to take our T12RB on its maiden voyage in two weeks to Wake Forest NC. This morning my wife towed the T12RB for the first time on the interstate and a rural roadway. She is shorter than me and was uncomfortable using the side mirrors while driving my 2010 Subaru Forester. Would side mirror extensions help her see better?

I also would like to know how to light the hot water heater and the furnace? Do they operate when the stove pilot light is activated by the electronic match clicker located within the outside panel? I assume it gas and not electrically powered like the air conditioner.

You should see me try to back it up
I got the extended mirrors that attaches easily by rubber straps. I use it during the trip and remove them after. I find it not as steady as the ones on the car but it helps me see cars behind the trailer and changing lanes.

There is a hot water switch under the front seat(sink side), the red light indicates off it turns green when it is on. The furnace is turned on via the console selection near the microwave oven cabinet select furnace mode and adjust the temp.

To turn on the fridge using propane you need to do that from the outside bottom panel. Turn it on, press and hold this button for 15 secs and at the same press the red button to start the pilot light. Try to hear the fire going in the chamber. Don't forget to turn off the AC and battery switch found in the upper panel.

I'm surprised that you did not learn these via a demo before picking up your trailer.

Enjoy
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #4

Check out the various clamp on towing mirrors from CIPA:
CIPAMIRRORS.COM
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
If your unit is new you should have manuals specific to the water heater and furnace in the trailer packet provided by the dealer.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
I got the extended mirrors that attaches easily by rubber straps. I use it during the trip and remove them after. I find it not as steady as the ones on the car but it helps me see cars behind the trailer and changing lanes.

There is a hot water switch under the front seat(sink side), the red light indicates off it turns green when it is on. The furnace is turned on via the console selection near the microwave oven cabinet select furnace mode and adjust the temp.

To turn on the fridge using propane you need to do that from the outside bottom panel. Turn it on, press and hold this button for 15 secs and at the same press the red button to start the pilot light. Try to hear the fire going in the chamber. Don't forget to turn off the AC and battery switch found in the upper panel.

I'm surprised that you did not learn these via a demo before picking up your trailer.

Enjoy
The parts technician at Wilkins RV rushed us through the features and did not spare us the details. He taught by his example and not by letting us have hands on experience. I got the RV almost four weeks and I forgotten most of the things he showed us. Plus the manual that came with it is not very helpful either.
Thanks for answering; now that was helpful!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #7

I just bought a clip-on towing mirror from fit-system replacement mirrors K source 3891 I think I paid around $37.00 for one. I haven't tried mounting it to my SUV's mirror yet
Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond-there View Post
The parts technician at Wilkins RV rushed us through the features and did not spare us the details. He taught by his example and not by letting us have hands on experience. I got the RV almost four weeks and I forgotten most of the things he showed us. Plus the manual that came with it is not very helpful either.
Thanks for answering; now that was helpful!
I made the same mistake, watch the demo but no hands on, fortunately we have this forum to learn more stuff.

I just got back from my trip and found out that the hot water switch when turned on, the red light turns off(no green light) indicates that the heater is on; if the red light turns on it may be out of propane or lost of pilot light. Just turn off and on the switch to reset.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Being short can change what all you are able to see. I have a hard time seeing over my mirrors at crosswalks & stop signs unless I leave forward. I would try the side mirrors and see if they help. Before I brought my truck I used the slide on CIPA mirrors which work pretty well.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #10

check your blind spots and forget the mirrors ... as there is a alot of view from a Forester. During lane changes .. im alway checking blind spots ...a simple turn of the head ... to ensure my 26 ft long missle isnt running some poor sole off the road.

Use your eyes .. not the mirrors ...

d-mo
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
check your blind spots and forget the mirrors ... as there is a alot of view from a Forester. During lane changes .. im alway checking blind spots ...a simple turn of the head ... to ensure my 26 ft long missle isnt running some poor sole off the road.

Use your eyes .. not the mirrors ...

d-mo
Good point and I would recommend doing both.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #12

If your wife is going to share any drive time, then most definitely get the side mirrors to increase her ability to see all sides of the rig as it is towing down the road. I am short...have to pull my truck seat all the way forward to reach the pedals. Always adjust the seat back when dropping off at the shop for maintenance...dont want to get sued for broken knee caps on my brake controller. haha

My side mirrors are extremely helpful but even so, when using the Titan, I have a large blind spot on my right side. Nothing beats looking over the shoulder to verify if my lane is clear or not when making any changes....the mirrors are awesome and add one more bit of self confidence when I am towing by myself.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote