Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #1

Anyone camped in Great Britain?

Hi all. Thinking about a trip to Great Britain this summer and wondering if anyone has experiece with renting a camper and touring? We kept running into Europeans and Aussies on our Alaska trip with all kinds of rigs. It got me thinking--why not camp. Has to be a completely different way to see the sights. I'm sure we'd meet interesting people.

Courtenay
2000 Chevy Silverado
Canon Powershot SX40
Courtenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #2

I'm originally from there, having left10 years ago. When we lived there we did some 'caravanning' and had a great time. There are a number of companies that used to hire out 'caravan' (trailers) or campers (small motor homes) about the size of a class C. Not many class A type motor homes are available and 5th Wheel rigs are almost unknown. For the main, trailers don't have slides or the capacity to have full hook up.

It's a great way to see the country if you have the time and there are plenty of sites. Try http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/ for a listing of good quality sites. They also offer 'certified locations' which are smaller locations that offer a maximum of five pitches and are often on working farms in a more rural setting. You'll have a blast. Just one word of caution, 'caravaners' are often regarded as the scourge of the motoring public and frequently blamed for causing long, long tailbacks in traffic. If you don't believe me, watch the BBC show 'Top Gear'.

Good luck with the trip if you decide to go. I can always recommend places to go and visit too.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #3

Thanks. May take you up on that offer if we manage this trip. The exchange rate is not great and we're looking at what we'd need to save. Being A-framers and former tenters we'd be quite content with something small. I'll take a look at that site. C
2000 Chevy Silverado
Canon Powershot SX40
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Flagstaff 22FBS

I've never been there (would love to go), so this maybe a-way off base, but I envision their roads and streets to be quite narrow at times. (I watch a lot (maybe too much?) of HGTV House Hunters International)

Would it be feasible to rent a camper van (think VW bus) to travel around and not irritate the locals?

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

Hi Deb, I actually saw a vw camper van for rent and thought it might be just the thing. Everything's expensive though so we'll have to see how much freelance work I get this spring. Courtenay
2000 Chevy Silverado
Canon Powershot SX40
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #6

It is true, in many of the older towns the streets are much more narrow and winding, not straight like North American grid blocks. In many towns there are 'park n ride' lots. Park your car, motor home, etc. and take public transport into the center. Places like York, which date back to roman times, are a prime example of this. The highways (motor ways) are wide six lane roads ad mainly toll free. On the country roads, drive only as fast as the conditions and speed limits allow and be prepared to stop in the distance you can see to be clear.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #7

Many parts of the country (Devon, Cornwall, Yorkshire, Lake District ) have narrow roads (and small towns ), but the equipment available reflects this. Many of these roads in these parts of the country are regularly travelled by 40 - 45ft tour buses - if they can get there, so can you.
Be aware that the norm for 'black tank' storage is a relatively small 'cassette' that you pull out and walk over to the dump point.

Welcome to Kamperhire

Just one of the sites you can check out for more info.
The British Isles is a wonderful place to take a camping holiday with so much to see and do. As with a previous poster, I'ld be happy to offer suggestions for places to visit.

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #8

We rented motorcycles in Scotland and had a blast riding around for 2 weeks. It sure is beautiful there. We saw a lot of neat looking little caravans and motor homes and are also thinking of taking a trip back to rent a camper. The roads seemed plenty wide enough for our motorcycles However we did encounter one road in Applecross, Scotland that advised against caravans due to tight turns....it was gorgeous!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warning sign to Applecross.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	24266  
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #9

Sounds fun. What did you rent? C
2000 Chevy Silverado
Canon Powershot SX40
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtenay View Post
Sounds fun. What did you rent? C
Me? We rented these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes at Applecross summit.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	24646  
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
DDC

I remember that road from when I was. Kid my parents took us to a rented caravan, that was around 1962 I think it was beautiful then too.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote