Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #101

Hi Boatman
My Windy Nation actuator worked fine all through the 2016 camping season. I may be a little paranoid because of the failure of the original OEM actuator so I "help" the actuator by pushing up on the roof on the other side while my wife works the switch. I have no trouble stopping the actuator at the correct spot when raising the roof. I stop it just before the correct spot, then jog it until the roof just about engages. At that time, a little jiggle of the roof makes it drop right in. Sounds more difficult than it actually is.

Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #102

Hi OYO and Boatman
My Windy Nation actuator didn't come with any brackets. I used the existing brackets that came on the trailer. My guess is that it would be rather difficult to find and fabricate correct mounting points to get the upper limit switch to trip at the right point. Due to the added length of the Windy Nation, I had to lower the lower mount just slightly. I also moved it a little to the left, only because Forest River missed the backing wood with 2 of the mounting screws.
In the picture, you can see the original upper left mounting hole for the lower bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	actuator1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	127791   Click image for larger version

Name:	actuator2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	127792  

Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #103
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampweasel View Post
Hi OYO and Boatman
My Windy Nation actuator didn't come with any brackets. I used the existing brackets that came on the trailer. My guess is that it would be rather difficult to find and fabricate correct mounting points to get the upper limit switch to trip at the right point. Due to the added length of the Windy Nation, I had to lower the lower mount just slightly. I also moved it a little to the left, only because Forest River missed the backing wood with 2 of the mounting screws.
In the picture, you can see the original upper left mounting hole for the lower bracket.
Thanks, exactly what I needed. I just assumed there would be some brackets (arriving tomorrow), but if the existing ones work all the better.

When I installed the oem replacement they sent me in October i noticed only 3 of the 4 mounting screws hit the backing wood. I wonder if that could be part of the problem.

Got above freezing today, supposed to be 50s (f) tomorrow. Maybe I'll take a look at it.

And I agree on the manual assistance while raising.

Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #104

OYO-
Make sure your actuator is in the fully retracted position. Remove the lower bracket from the camper and install it on the bottom of the actuator. With the roof fully lowered and latched closed, connect the top of the actuator to the top bracket on the camper roof. Now you can move the actuator bottom around with the lower bracket still attached to the actuator to find the ideal spot to mount the lower bracket. I used 3/16 diameter toggle bolts to mount my lower bracket. I drilled 4 new 3/16 diameter holes in the camper, and used the toggles as nuts on the inside against the backing wood. I used clear silicone sealant between the bracket and the fiberglass.
I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampweasel View Post
Hi OYO and Boatman
Swampweasel, I have a question or two concerning how you determined where to place the bottom bracket for the actuator. I've read your process on disconnecting the bottom bracket & mounting the actuator but I'm wondering how you knew that the top limiter switch would "top out" where it was suppose to? Also, do you have actual measurements that you moved the bottom bracket that we may use to position our lower bracket. I've been reading the threads about this situation and noticed that someone had fabricated a different lower bracket and moved the actuator to the other side of their camper (rt. side) and had lowered the bottom mounting stud to below the bottom edge of the camper. I like the idea of using the original brackets and keeping the actuator in the same general location.
One other question, how many times have you had to replace the actuator before you went with the Windy Nation actuator?
The Windy Nation actuator has a 900N (225#) max load capacity where the OEM actuator has a 500N load rating. If I did my "old math" formula correctly, the OEM part has a 125# load capacity (225/900 then x/500).
Old 01-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #106
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Swampweasel, I have a question or two concerning how you determined where to place the bottom bracket for the actuator. I've read your process on disconnecting the bottom bracket & mounting the actuator but I'm wondering how you knew that the top limiter switch would "top out" where it was suppose to? Also, do you have actual measurements that you moved the bottom bracket that we may use to position our lower bracket. I've been reading the threads about this situation and noticed that someone had fabricated a different lower bracket and moved the actuator to the other side of their camper (rt. side) and had lowered the bottom mounting stud to below the bottom edge of the camper. I like the idea of using the original brackets and keeping the actuator in the same general location.
One other question, how many times have you had to replace the actuator before you went with the Windy Nation actuator?
The Windy Nation actuator has a 900N (225#) max load capacity where the OEM actuator has a 500N load rating. If I did my "old math" formula correctly, the OEM part has a 125# load capacity (225/900 then x/500).
I'm not Swampweasel, but I was about to post that I did this today. It took 30-40 minutes.

Swampweasel states that he has an issue with the top limiter. I was unable to test mine because my carport is not tall enough. The lower limiter works.

Positioning the the lower bracket is done by attaching the actuator to the upper bracket (in its original place), place the lower bracket on the actuator, mark where the lower bracket hits the camper wall and attach it there.

The position could vary based on camper model. The one you saw mounted on the other side I believe is an older model that did not originally have an actuator. Mine ended up about like Swampweasel, but I was able to use the lower left hole and rotate the bracket so that it is now the upper right corner.

I was on my 3rd oem actuator. It hadn't failed, but it was struggling. For $90 it just made sense to me to do it when it was convenient.

The new one pops it right up.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #107

Hi Ortep
My Windy Nation actuator is not positioned to stop at the correct place in the extended position. If you kept raising it, it would go too far due to the fact that this actuator is longer than the original. Re-read post #104 above to see how I stop it when raising the roof. If you wanted it to stop at the correct place when raising and lowering, you would have to move both brackets, or maybe fabricate new ones. I wanted to use the top bracket in it's original position.
To make sure the actuator is in the fully retracted position, just connect the 2 wires to your 12V battery. in one direction it will extend, just reverse the wires to retract. It will stop automatically when in the fully retracted position.
OYO explained the installation a little better than I did. See his post above this one. Let us know if you need more information.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #108

Ortep
I meant re-read post #101 to see how I stop the roof in the raised position.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
I'm not Swampweasel, but I was about to post that I did this today. It took 30-40 minutes.

Swampweasel states that he has an issue with the top limiter. I was unable to test mine because my carport is not tall enough. The lower limiter works.

Positioning the the lower bracket is done by attaching the actuator to the upper bracket (in its original place), place the lower bracket on the actuator, mark where the lower bracket hits the camper wall and attach it there.

The position could vary based on camper model. The one you saw mounted on the other side I believe is an older model that did not originally have an actuator. Mine ended up about like Swampweasel, but I was able to use the lower left hole and rotate the bracket so that it is now the upper right corner.

I was on my 3rd oem actuator. It hadn't failed, but it was struggling. For $90 it just made sense to me to do it when it was convenient.

The new one pops it right up.
Thanks OYO. It looks like you & I have the same basic unit. You have a Rockwood A213HW & I have a Flagstaff T21TBHW, both are 2016 model year and the same floor plan, so your mounting scenario with the bottom left hole becoming the top right hole should work for me. After the sun rises here I'll go look to make sure I don't have any obstructions in the way (water fill, city water hookup). This is the kind of info I needed to "pull the trigger" on going with the Windy Nation actuator.
I'm trying to avoid taking my camper to the Lazy Days dealership in Tampa, I been read some of the horror stories about their service dept and the LONG delays in trying to get them to perform service work on units that weren't bought from them. And now you say that you were able to do the change out in 30-40 minutes why would I give up my camper to them for 2-6 weeks only to have the next oem actuator fail again after so little use.
I figured that my actuator, which is the original for this unit, was "cycled" (open & closed=1 cycle) 25 times since it was made. I personally cycled it 21 times. I figured the dealership did it twice, once when them put it on display and then once to do the PDI for us. I would hope that the manufacturer cycled it a couple of times for during the QC check . I hope and pray that the Windy Nation actuator lasts for a lot more cycles (years).
Old 01-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #110

My Windy Nation actuator was delivered while I was on my Florida trip and installed it today. This was a simple install on the T21TBHW camper. As in previous posts I made sure the actuator was in the fully retracted position. Removed the lower bracket, installed the top rod onto the top mount, marked the position of the bottom mounting holes (came out about an inch or so lower than the original), drilled the new holes and filled the old ones with silicon, installed the lower bracket and replaced the bottom of the actuator. My only additional modification was adding a 2 prong electrical connector to the drive motor wires. This way if it fails I can simply take the actuator off and disconnect the wire from the outside instead of cutting wires. Swampweasel, thanks for the encouragement and original instructions. This sure was a better price than offered by FR.

Tags
roo, roof