Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #201

Well we were getting ready to headout for a 4 night trip. I went to lower the roof... nothing happened :-( no buzz, grind or anything...
Unbolted the upper arm of the acuator (tight nut, rusted) went to unbolt the lower and broke the bolt at the attachment point :-( . Got it off and lowered the roof. I need a broom to raise and lower the roof anyways.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #202

I have a 2016 214HW trailer that came with the electric roof actuator. I am now on my third one AND the unit is damnably hard to get up or down when the unit fails halfway!

Yes, the unit is under warranty but I don't have time for this crap on an otherwise great little trailer.

I have changed out the Forest River actuator for a Truck Camper lift jack and I doubt I will ever have a problem lifting the roof again...

I truly hope Forest River's other products are more reliable than their piece of junk roof actuator!?

bwa
bwallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallan View Post
.......I have changed out the Forest River actuator for a Truck Camper lift jack and I doubt I will ever have a problem lifting the roof again...

I truly hope Forest River's other products are more reliable than their piece of junk roof actuator!?

bwa

I went through 2 faulty FR actuators, both lasted approx. 1 yr. I am now using a homemade lift bar an RV shop installed along with two gas struts.

Could you please take some photos of where you installed your Truck Camper lift jack and how/where you installed it? Also a link to the product?

I looked it up and some have remotes....could you use one with yours?

Thanks in advance.

Furkids - Max & Tessa
2015 A194HW
2015 Ford Explorer
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjaz View Post
I went through 2 faulty FR actuators, both lasted approx. 1 yr. I am now using a homemade lift bar an RV shop installed along with two gas struts.

Could you please take some photos of where you installed your Truck Camper lift jack and how/where you installed it? Also a link to the product?

I looked it up and some have remotes....could you use one with yours?

Thanks in advance.
The lift jack I installed is an hydraulic unit. I simply built a bracket to clamp a metal plate to the top of the jack. The plate has a hole that attaches to the bolt used by the FR actuator. The foot of the lift jack sits on a 16" higher wooden box. I store the jack and box in my truck box when it's not holding the trailer roof up.

I'll forward a picture next time I've got the jack in use.

The jack I'm using is:
https://www.riecotitan.com/camperjac...raulicjack.php

bwa

P.S.: A brand new FR electric lifter, provided under warranty, is stored with the remainder of my unused camping stuff. I doubt it will ever see the light of day!?
Old 09-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #205

Quote:
The lift jack I installed is an hydraulic unit. I simply built a bracket to clamp a metal plate to the top of the jack. The plate has a hole that attaches to the bolt used by the FR actuator. The foot of the lift jack sits on a 16" higher wooden box. I store the jack and box in my truck box when it's not holding the trailer roof up.

I'll forward a picture next time I've got the jack in use.

The jack I'm using is:
https://www.riecotitan.com/camperjac...raulicjack.php

bwa

P.S.: A brand new FR electric lifter, provided under warranty, is stored with the remainder of my unused camping stuff. I doubt it will ever see the light of day!?

Thanks--I'll keep an eye out for the picture of the jack in use.

Furkids - Max & Tessa
2015 A194HW
2015 Ford Explorer
Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #206

Yes, but that jack is >$500. A replacement actuator is much less, although also less permanent. Gas struts would seem to be the cheapest fix.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjaz View Post
Thanks--I'll keep an eye out for the picture of the jack in use.
Attached image shows hydraulic jack in use. The top mounting point is a flat metal plate welded to two 2" muffler clamps. A hole in the plate simply goes over the original attachment point of the FR lifter.

Pricing on this unit is all over the place. My RV dealership quoted me $750. Amazon was a bit better. My local NAPA dealer brought one in for $350 but it didn't come with a mounting kit (which I didn't require anyway). Used/rebuilt units are also available.

Optionally, look for a mechanical screw type truck camper jack. These come in motorized versions or manual. With a manual unit a power drill can be used to extend the unit.

bwa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tent Trailer Hydraulic Jack.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	215204  
Old 09-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #208
OYO

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruc33ef View Post
Yes, but that jack is >$500. A replacement actuator is much less, although also less permanent. Gas struts would seem to be the cheapest fix.

Works for me. If I had a working actuator I'd take it off and put gas springs on.

Easier, faster and durable.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #209

Quote:
Attached image shows hydraulic jack in use. The top mounting point is a flat metal plate welded to two 2" muffler clamps. A hole in the plate simply goes over the original attachment point of the FR lifter.

Pricing on this unit is all over the place. My RV dealership quoted me $750. Amazon was a bit better. My local NAPA dealer brought one in for $350 but it didn't come with a mounting kit (which I didn't require anyway). Used/rebuilt units are also available.

Optionally, look for a mechanical screw type truck camper jack. These come in motorized versions or manual. With a manual unit a power drill can be used to extend the unit.

bwa

Thank you so much for the info and photo. I'll keep for future reference.

Furkids - Max & Tessa
2015 A194HW
2015 Ford Explorer
Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #210

I think A-frame owners best recourse is a class action lawsuit asking for gas struts as a replacement for the OEM actuator
Roy
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #211
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy334 View Post
I think A-frame owners best recourse is a class action lawsuit asking for gas struts as a replacement for the OEM actuator
Roy
I hear you. But you can get two 60 pounders for $60 and four brackets for $12.

Lawyers are pretty good at math.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #212

Wow! Tell me where and I’ll order them instead of installing a new actuator
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #213
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy334 View Post
Wow! Tell me where and I’ll order them instead of installing a new actuator
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-182535.html

The link to the Gas Springs in the initial post is to 40 lbs not 60s. I corrected it a few posts later.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #214

Has anyone found a replacement linear actuator for a 213hw other than from Rockwood?
Mine sounds like me getting out of bed and it's just a matter of time.
Casacarajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #215

Actuator

If you want the same OEM actuator, Forest River Rockwood is your only option unless you know the 'actual' OEM for the actuator - I do not. I rec'd my replacement very quickly and was a much better unit than came with our 212HW and worked great!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #216

I had a Forest River A-Frame same issue. Found it was poor mfg of the actuator, dirt, grit and such got into the mechanism.
They replaced it for me for free but I did not use it.
I put on two more gas struts on the roof panel that had the actuator connected to.
Each was a 40 pound gas strut.
Took 1 hour to do each (you need a backer board inside for the screws will have something to connect to. I used decorative 4" squares like the old homes used to have at the upper corners of interior door trim. Looked great.

When through and I was ready to test the system installed, I unhooked the two clips/hooks (whatever they are called and the roof went up half way instantly.
Not so fast it scared me or that it might do harm. But it opened in 3 seconds and I could lift the roof system with my two hands using the roof handle that is on the passenger side rear side of the trailer.

Pulling it down (I'm only 5'-8'' and am 68) I built a 4 foot 1.5'' closet dowel with a hook on the end to grab the handle on the rear roof panel and it came down perfectly. I held it down and snapped the retainer devices and it was a done deal.

Go away from the ele actuator. It was a mistake in engineering .

Doc
DocHaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof