Old 04-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #31

We have family coming to town for the fourth and so unfortunately we'll be off work the week before. Sounds like a good time though!

Old 04-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #32

Don't even bother.

I ordered my 2015 Rockwood A194HW in the spring of 2015. The dealer did not have my model in stock. I wanted to see if I could set it up and tear it down by myself so I did with the one he had in...it was fairly easy for me....NOT thinking that that was a much lighter camper. When I got mine in the fall of 2015--it was just in time to winterize it.

Last spring I realized I could not manage the roof myself and bought a Reico Titan roof assist from Forest River. I had Camping World (where I bought it) install it. I'm going to estimate $900 total.

I then used it for 4-5 trips last summer. It sounded like it was struggling a bit but I thought it was just the heavy roof. It worked, though!

I went to set up my camper the other day for the first this year, pushed the button...and NOTHING! Dead. It was not exposed to the weather during the winter, so no moisture could have gotten in. We had to unhook the "arm" to pop it up by hand. We cannot troubleshoot the problem. I searched and found similar stories like mine--theirs worked a few times and then went dead....usually either a bad motor or switch. I contacted FR and was basically told it was over a year--so tough luck. YEAH--EASY FOR THEM TO SAY--THEY WEREN'T OUT $900! Now I have to either pay an RV place big bucks for parts and to fix it or pay them to have it uninstalled, as I had to unhook it to pop it up manually--the arm is just hanging there.

I have a broken hand which makes it even MORE difficult for me to set up alone and I am going next month! So please think twice before buying from FR --maybe buy from another place that has a good warranty!!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #33

I received my replacement part for the lift and installed it without a problem. It's nice and quiet compared to the old one. I'll tell you one thing, I won't pay $900 for a new one after it wears out. I'm sure we can find replacement parts somewhere.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #34

Just opened up our A192HW after it sat all winter uncovered. The roof actuator sounded terrible and really struggled to raise the roof, even with us helping it. Is the actuator serviceable? is it possible to open it up and lubricate it? It worked fine all last camping season.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #35

Swampweasel -- I'm making an apt. today to see when the dealer can fit me in. I'll try and remember to post how I make out.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #36

In my case they replaced the whole unit even though I'm sure it was just the little motor that was bad.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #37
OYO

Wondering if the existing drive mechanism could be connected to a cordless drill?

Ours went out while the dealer was prepping it for us. They replaced it and has worked fine probably 25--30 times. But it does strain and we have doubts about its longevity.

If it goes out I plan on finding another way to power it. Even if it's a hand crank.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #38

Thats a good idea to run it with a drill or hand crank. I had planned to take my old one apart and see about fixing it for a spare. Unfortunately the dealer needed it back for the warranty part so I'm hoping someone will start posting fixes and maybe upgraded parts to use on these things before mine goes out again.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #39

Well my roof actuator just crapped out! Just got back from a 3 day camping trip and decided to open up the camper in the driveway. The roof raised about one inch, then the motor kept running but wasn't raising the roof at all. I took the bottom cap off where the wire goes in and rusty water ran out. There is a gear train in there of very small gears with tiny teeth. The gear on the motor shaft is only about 3/16" in diameter and was not fully engaged with the gear it was driving. Only the very end of it was engaged, maybe a 1/16 of an inch and it stripped the teeth off the end of the gear. In my opinion, this thing is not hefty enough to handle the task. No wonder they are crapping out.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampweasel View Post
Well my roof actuator just crapped out! ......... In my opinion, this thing is not hefty enough to handle the task. No wonder they are crapping out.
I know someone who works on a-frames exclusively and he said they should be heftier (as you said) plus TWO on a camper--one on each side!

I just had mine replaced---$600+ for the new actuator and $200+ to replace. Honestly, I don't think this will last another year either.

Sure hope someone on here (unfortunately not me) has a better solution!!

Tags
roo, roof