Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #81
OYO

Ours bit the dust this week. Eight months, go figure.

It wasn't as difficult to raise/lower as I thought it would be. And I did it myself.

Do you think there is any chance I can just have the dealer or FR send me one? My drive time and their install time would be at least a day, vs. my install time of an hour max.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:47 PM   #82

My dealer sent me a replacement but mine was under warranty. If yours is a warranty repair save the packaging so you can send the defective one back to the dealer.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #83
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfuji View Post
My dealer sent me a replacement but mine was under warranty. If yours is a warranty repair save the packaging so you can send the defective one back to the dealer.
Thanks, it is under warranty. Looks pretty easy to do.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:11 AM   #84
OYO

I'd like to give a big thanks to Forest River and the warranty department at Specialty RV in Lancaster Ohio.

I called Specialty on Monday about replacing my actuator and explained we were taking the camper to the smokies this weekend. The warranty manager said he'd send one, but it would probably be a couple of weeks.

I came home yesterday after a hard day of fishing and it was sitting on the porch.

Thank you!
Old 11-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #85

Difficulty Raising Roof

Hi Swampweasel and anyone else
I have a 2016 T21TBHW. After reading many reports of actuator failure I decided to try lifting the roof by hand. Never know when we will be out on the road and it fails. I removed the top acorn nut and disengaged the actuator from the mount. Then the fun began. There was NO WAY that I could lift the roof by hand. I could get the front section up about a foot the back section did not move. Pushing the handle on the back section was fruitless. It felt like the torsion springs were not even there. Any thoughts? The dealer insists that it should pop right up....it does not.
boatman811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #86

Hi Boatman
When we raised our roof by hand, I had my wife pushing up on the rear roof while I pushed up on the front roof. The further you are from the hinge, the easier it will be, but you will soon run out of reach. It helps to stand on a stool or short stepladder.
Hope this helps.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #87

Difficulty Raising Roof

Anyone designed any kind of "pole" that can be used to push on the handles once they are out of normal reach?
Old 11-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #88

I used an old snow shovel handle after the plastic blade broke.

Drilled a hole, put some glue on the threads of a garage hardware hook,
and here it is for your custom redesign.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1478996298.070461.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	125140

Works great!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #89

Thanks This looks like an easy solution. Two of these and we may be able to raise the roof. Will give it a try this week. We have 4 trips to Fla planned this winter 10 days to 3 weeks each and wanted to make sure that potential actuator issues don't put a crimp in our plans.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #90

Actuator number 3 for us...
We have a 2016 Flagstaff T19QBHW. Our first Actuator went out the day after we purchased our camper. The replacement has only lasted 10 months and about 16 camping trips. The camper is still under warranty. We were wondering if there's been any improvements to the actuators in the last year? We've had to put the top up manually and it's difficult when you're short and not real strong. Does anyone know if the ALiner brand has these same issues? They seem to go up easy and they're not power.
Mountain Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #91

The ALiner owners forum

has a very well written how-to article that explains how to change the lift assist springs and bungees for their roof panels. It contains pictures and is explained well, although this process involves roof panel manipulation and some hardware skills.

I installed an actuator that I bought on ebay, and it is a heavy duty model that is working well, at least through a season. Even that install process involves some hardware skills. I posted pics on this forum to show the modification.

Another owner with a factory installed actuator wrote that he applies some manual lift assistance to the opposite side roof panel of where the actuator is lifting, to balance and even out the lifting process. This makes good sense. An ideal lift would be with a balanced load.

An RV shop has special equipment to facilitate modifications quickly.

Good luck with your camper, and enjoy camping!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #92

Thank you mickrock ....we'll find out Tuesday when it goes back to the dealer. Happy Camping and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 01-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #93

We purchased a 2016 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-Frame on April 8th. We camped 29 nights in it for 2016 without a problem with the actuator. This past Thursday, getting ready for the New Years weekend, I setup the camper and the actuator started to struggle a bit but was able to get the roof up and down. So I went back on the computer and reread the threads here that discussed what to do in this scenario, boy am I glad I did. When we got to the campsite Friday afternoon the actuator FAILED, no up or down. I disconnected the top nut on the actuator, took it off the stud and asked a friend to give me a hand setting up the roof. The roof went up with very little effort. Today when taking down the roof, I pushed up on the front section of the roof and the roof started coming down by itself. What a surprise for me. I was able top "catch" the roof to slow its downward movement without getting hurt. I'm going to get the actuator replaced (warranty) because the actuator raised roof was what sold me on this unit. I'm no longer worried about an actuator failure while camping because I know I can handle the scenario. I'm going to check out if they have "beefed up" the actuator components before just accepting the same piece of equipment and get the same end results, failure after x number of openings and closings.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 AM   #94

Replaced actuator.

I finally got an authorized service center to look at my a-frame lift motor and they agreed with me it was toast. I had them order a replacement and when it arrived I picked it up and gave them my old one. Not sure if I'll put it on in the spring or not as the top works so easily without it.
kwf1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwf1958 View Post
I finally got an authorized service center to look at my a-frame lift motor and they agreed with me it was toast. I had them order a replacement and when it arrived I picked it up and gave them my old one. Not sure if I'll put it on in the spring or not as the top works so easily without it.
Did you get the same ol' actuator (same as the original) or was it a "beefed up" one? I've been reading the threads that talk about finding a "heavy duty" one from Amazon/EBay (?) that's 30" long, needs to have the bottom mounting point moved and costs $90. I don't want to have to change the mounting points but I do want a better quality (heavy duty) replacement that fits in the original position and won't take a dump after a few cycles.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:24 AM   #96

Same as factory equipment.

Not a big deal however, as I will hold it in reserve and install it in the event they ever sell the thing. Meanwhile I will continue to lift the lid manually as it is not heavy at all
kwf1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #97

We are on our 3rd one in just a year. We have a 2016 T19QBHW purchased last January. Good luck!!! Can't wait to to hear how it goes.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #98

How do I delete my box. Need help.
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #99

Hi Joe. I see that you installed a Windy Nation 30" actuator back in July. I found these on line and I am considering purchasing and installing. My actuator bit the dust yesterday while preparing for a Florida winter trip. It wont interrupt the trip but will be a little inconvenient. How has your experience been over the last six months. Is it still working as well as when you first installed it? Do you have any problems stopping the roof before the unit reaches the upper limiter? Have you made any modifications since your initial install? Will not know until I get one and try to install but I was thinking about fabricating a bracket/plate that would lower the unit enough to accommodate the upper and lower limiter. What do you think?
Bill from Ohio
Old 01-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #100
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampweasel View Post
I installed the Windy_Nation 30" linear actuator on my A192HW today. The install was easier than I originally anticipated. I used the existing top mount, but had to slightly move the bottom mount. I had to lower the bottom mount approximately 3/4", and had to move it over about the same distance because when they installed it at the factory, 2 of the 4 mounting screws missed the wood inside and were only screwed into the styrofoam insulation! I used 3/16 thick bolts instead of screws to re-attach the bottom mount. I located the bottom mount so that the actuator lower limit switch operated just as the roof closed. This actuator is longer than the original so care is needed when raising the roof to stop just at the point that the roofs interlock. This actuator sounds much better than the original, and hopefully will last a long time. Overall, I am very pleased with the installation. If anybody needs more info or details on how to do this, just let me know. Total cost was $90.
Hey Swamp, thanks for all the hard work. Figuring my 3rd actuator would go out eventually and my warranty expiring next month I went ahead and bought one of the 30" while they were still available.

One question and a request:

Did you use the original mounting brackets or the ones that came with the new actuator? I imagine the top one should work, but not sure about the bottom.

Also, any chance you could post a picture of your lower bracket in its new position? Pretty sure our campers are the same height.

Thanks

Tags
roo, roof