Old 05-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #41

I agree brewjaz. My wife and I just went out and raised the roof by hand and it wasn't that hard to do. There are 12V linear actuators on eBay that are 30 inch, slightly too long for this application. It would require moving the roof mounted attachment point, and may go too far before hitting it's limit switch. The good part is that it is twice the lift capacity of the Forest River unit. I may buy one to experiment with, but in the meantime we will work the roof by hand.
We can't let this stop us from camping!

Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampweasel View Post
I agree brewjaz. My wife and I just went out and raised the roof by hand and it wasn't that hard to do. There are 12V linear actuators on eBay that are 30 inch, slightly too long for this application. It would require moving the roof mounted attachment point, and may go too far before hitting it's limit switch. The good part is that it is twice the lift capacity of the Forest River unit. I may buy one to experiment with, but in the meantime we will work the roof by hand.
We can't let this stop us from camping!
It won't stop me from camping either :-) ---BUT the roof assist sure comes in handy when I camp by myself. I can do it--but only with a LOT of struggling and time.

Not that I would be able to install it myself (although who knows--I may attempt it if I'm really desperate), but could you post the link to the one you found on eBay? I tried "roof actuator" and "roof assist" and couldn't come up with any. I'm curious. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #43

Heavy Duty 30" 30 inch Linear Actuator Stroke 225 lb Pound Max Lift 12V Volt DC | eBay

If the link doesn't work, search for linear actuator 30 inch.
Bear in mind that it is a little too long both when retracted and extended. I am not sure if it is adaptable to our application. It would definitely require moving the upper attachment point.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #44

Have one our 21DMHW. Up and down fine, but new unit this spring. Switch was broken at delivery (piece of junk), but one nut removed and manually lifted with no problem (need reasonable strength and good height!). Slow up and down - at least for me. For me - nice to have, but not necessary.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #45

The eBay vendor now has

A 20" actuator, and I am wondering if that would work?

What do you think?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #46

A 20" actuator would require moving the bottom attachment point way up. Because of the built in limit switches in the actuator, the mounting points are critical so that it starts and stops precisely at the correct places. Changing to a different actuator is not as simple as it first seems.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #47

Got my 2016 rockwood a213hw with power roof assist a couple of weeks ago. I opened it up in driveway to organize storage, etc. When I tried to retract the roof, the bolt at the lift motor sheared and showed signs of rust. Took it to dealer today for repair and wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #48

I am going for it(the ebay actuator)

After reading the posts several times, I took some measurements on my A122, based on what I could see from the couple of pics and a youtube video.

I think the 30" actuator will work, if the lower base mounting point is moved lower, and possibly using the bottom trim existing screw just in front of the coolcat. At the top, the mounting point will depend on where the limit works right with the roof raised. Worst case scenario, I think, is that I might have to add an aluminum plate to add about 1.5" up beyond the existing top edge. No big deal.

I will report on my project, although it will probably be a month until completion.
Wish us all luck!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
After reading the posts several times, I took some measurements on my A122, based on what I could see from the couple of pics and a youtube video.

I think the 30" actuator will work, if the lower base mounting point is moved lower, and possibly using the bottom trim existing screw just in front of the coolcat. At the top, the mounting point will depend on where the limit works right with the roof raised. Worst case scenario, I think, is that I might have to add an aluminum plate to add about 1.5" up beyond the existing top edge. No big deal.

I will report on my project, although it will probably be a month until completion.
Wish us all luck!
Waiting anxiously to hear how you make out!! Hopefully my 2nd roof assist will last long enough for me to hear your results..... If it works, pictures would be much appreciated!!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #50

I've got a 2015 HW that didn't come with an actuator, I felt I got hosed but to be honest I don't think I've seen 2 posts where these things worked well for any length of time. I feel better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 t19qbhw
2015 Toyota Tundra crewmax lmtd

Tags
roo, roof