Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #61

I am not, but its amazing that any real words came up lol

Old 06-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfuji View Post
LMAO I was just catching up on this thead and I saw I posted complete nonsense! This may be a first... has anyone ever done a butt post before?
And here i thought it was a secret message of the kind you get from a shortwave numbers station.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:32 AM   #63

How that actuator replacement go?

I don't expect my actuator to last long. How did the fix you described work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
After reading the posts several times, I took some measurements on my A122, based on what I could see from the couple of pics and a youtube video.

I think the 30" actuator will work, if the lower base mounting point is moved lower, and possibly using the bottom trim existing screw just in front of the coolcat. At the top, the mounting point will depend on where the limit works right with the roof raised. Worst case scenario, I think, is that I might have to add an aluminum plate to add about 1.5" up beyond the existing top edge. No big deal.

I will report on my project, although it will probably be a month until completion.
Wish us all luck!
Old 07-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #64

The 30" actuator is working, in testing...

Yes! The 30" actuator from ebay will work, with some minor metal work and some hardware. I have mine mounted on the right side, which is the opposite of the factory location. Reason is that the 30" is longer, and would need to be placed over the coolcat grille. This would work, but I went for the other side as a cleaner install. Gist of the install is that I used a piece of hardware store steel plate, 1/8" x 2" x 6". I drilled a 5/16" hole in one end(bottom) and riveted the plate to the bottom of the camper so that it extends down about 2". I will post pics in a few days when all is done, as there are many details.

It lifts with hardly a sweat.
And lowers real smooth.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #65

Hi mickrock
I am thrilled about your success in making the 30" actuator work.

Did you use the unit from Windy_Nation on eBay?

Does the top limit switch stop the roof rising at the correct place?

I am looking forward to your pictures and details.
Thanks.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #66

The correct place at the top is the tricky part. There is a slight rocking motion taking place when the two center sections snap into place. If you rely on the limit to effect the snap, then when you want to lower the roof and unsnap the center, the back roof section is too high. Another person can push the lower button while the front roof section is being held up.

Or, I placed the top mount so that the limit does not max out at the top, by about an inch. This does require a special step. I stand at the back of the camper and watch the raising roof sections. When the back roof section is about 1inch away from snapping into place, I stop the lift. I then walk to the side opposite of the actuator, and give it a slight push upwards. Both sides snap into place for the lock. Then setup as usual. To lower, I lift on the front handle, and the back section drops slightly to allow the actuator to lower.

I am using the limit on the lower down.

More later...
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #67

Sounds great ! I have the factory installed actuator on my Flagstaff t21qbhw when it reaches the limit at the top I lift the top section to get the roof to settle into place. Closing, I bump the lower switch then lift the top section to release the tension before I continue lowering the roof. Wouldn't be without it ! Makes setting up easy, my wife lifts the top while I set the stabilizers.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #68

Custom actuator pics -

My custom actuator is now semi-final, and ready to show.
I used the Windy Nation actuator 30" model from ebay, along with some bolts, nuts, and all as shown.

The mounting plate that I added to the bottom of the camper is made from hardware store steel plate, 1/8" x 2" x 6". It is held on with 4 rivets that are 3/16" x 1/2" long. The bottom and top bolts are "all thread" 5/16" machine screws. The top bolt has a special thin head that has a head thickness of 1/8". There is 1/4" of clearance between the roof guide rails, so a thin head bolt must be used there.

The actuator works very well, running smoothly and not even warming up.

My DPDT switch is not weatherproof, so I mounted it inside of a can with 4' feet of extension wire. It is kept in my weatherproof tool box at the rear of the camper.

Wiring runs to the battery box from the switch, with the + going to the off side of my battery cut-off switch and the - going to the battery post. An inline fuse serves for protection inside the battery box.

I opted to use the maximum limit for the raise, which means after the limit stops on raise, I need to use a mild push up on the roof side opposite of the actuator that snaps the top into the locking notches at the top of the A. To lower, I run the actuator down about a second, and then push up on the front roof handle to unlock the roof sections. Then I run the actuator down and let it stop on its limit switch.

All is working fine, and very smooth. I happen to have a 15w solar panel mounted on the front roof panel, and it is not heavy, but it does add to the lifting process a bit. I am looking forward to adding another solar panel in the future, and I am confident that the actuator will handle it well.

Total cost was about $100.00 for all parts.

I'll be glad to answer any questions, although I have to state that I will not guarantee that any duplication of this project may work perfectly, or at all.

The measurements and angle of the actuator are critical, and the actuator must be spaced out just slightly away from the camper to clear the grill mounting rail.

I also lubed all roof panel and side panel hinges, and lubed the guide rails where the back panel ends slide along the front roof panel.

If you decide to take on your own version of this project, be sure use a wood block to block up the roof panels when working on the upper mounting bolt.

Thanks for the feedback, and Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0411.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	114032   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0415.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	114033   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0416.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	114034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0413.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	114035  
Old 07-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #69

Looks great Mick! Based on your results, I think I'm going to attempt this. My camper is a high wall, so I suspect my mounting and dimensions will be a little different. Thanks for all your hard work, nice writeup & pics.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #70

THANK you, Mickrock, for the in-depth write up with photos. Something tells me I'll be needing this info when my SECOND roof assist that Forest River supplies goes kaput.

Tags
roo, roof