Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #121

Took mine off

I took my roof actuator off when it died so that it could be returned when the replacement arrived but I have yet to attach the replacement as the roof is so light and easy to raise by hand. I actually was showing it off to a neighbor and he exclaimed "Damn, you set that up in less than 30 seconds". If I still have this a-frame when I'm old and feeble I'll put the new one on.
kwf1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #122

Hi all - I'm a first time poster here who seems to have been bitten by the roof actuator bug. My A2122HW is about a year and a half old and has been set up maybe 15 times. Yesterday I brought it out of winter storage and tried to set it up...nada. Actuator is totally dead. My question to forumites is when yours died, was it totally dead or was there still some noise when you pressed the switch. I'm hoping that maybe it's an electrical issue with an easy solution (e.g. replace fuse), but until I get it set up I can't troubleshoot. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Mammoth69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #123
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth69 View Post
Hi all - I'm a first time poster here who seems to have been bitten by the roof actuator bug. My A2122HW is about a year and a half old and has been set up maybe 15 times. Yesterday I brought it out of winter storage and tried to set it up...nada. Actuator is totally dead. My question to forumites is when yours died, was it totally dead or was there still some noise when you pressed the switch. I'm hoping that maybe it's an electrical issue with an easy solution (e.g. replace fuse), but until I get it set up I can't troubleshoot. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Totally.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #124

Quote:
Hi all - I'm a first time poster here who seems to have been bitten by the roof actuator bug. .......My question to forumites is when yours died, was it totally dead or was there still some noise when you pressed the switch...... Thanks.
TOTALLY dead.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #125

Mine made noise, tried to run but had a stripped gear and would not raise the roof.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #126

My 2017 213HW actuator just died after 3 trips. It sounds like a bag of rocks. They are going to send out parts, but they definitely need to come up with something better.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #127

I just got the replacement motor from forest river. It is slower tab than the old one. Definitely under powered. I took it back off and am just going to do it manually.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
I just got the replacement motor from forest river. It is slower tab than the old one. Definitely under powered. I took it back off and am just going to do it manually.
Slower may mean more torque which is what u may actually be looking for.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #129

Quote:

When mine died it was a long painful struggle. If I'd not assisted it it would have likely blown a fuse. Check your fuses.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
Slower may mean more torque which is what u may actually be looking for.

You're an optimist! LOL
Old 05-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post

Really isn't that hard to push up, is it? I pushed longer and harder helping that old lift motor back then than I do now and I've even added a Renogy 100 watt solar panel.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #132

We have a 2017 A212HW that came equipped with the electric roof lift. It was wonderful...as long as it worked. We took the trailer out no more than five or six times when the lift stopped working. I understand from other reading that this is a typical problem. We returned it to the place where we purchased the trailer for replacement under warranty two weeks ago, and were told there would be "no problem" having it ready for us to use next week. Well, you guessed it...the replacement part is not at the service center, and they claim to have no idea when they will receive it. I would LOVE to know the manufacturer of these lifts so I could give them a piece of my mind. But in answer to other questions...we had to remove the top nut holding the lift onto the trailer in order to lift and lower the roof. I can do it by myself, but it isn't all that easy. The high wall trailers are pretty tall, and if you don't happen to be (I am) you might find it difficult to lift the roof manually. Hope that helps.
redpondranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #133

Good luck with your replacement. We are on our 3rd one. Thank heavens we have a wonderful dealer for service. Our original dealer was worthless. We love our T19QBHW even with the lift problems they're so much fun and a lot easier than a popup.
Mountain Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #134

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but one idea to help the actuator last longer is to give it a bit of help while it is opening. I gently help lift one of the panels as it is opening to relieve a bit of the stress from the motor.
isthisidused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #135

Windy-nation actuator failure

Tried to lower the roof on our A-frame yesterday and the actuator was dead. I checked for power to the actuator and it was there when the switch was operated.
Since the actuator is out of warrantee, I took the motor apart. Water had gotten into it and caused the rotor to rust to the magnets. There was also corrosion where the brushes are. One of the magnets that appear to have been glued to the housing had been pushed away from the housing by rust and was stuck to the rotor. Pretty much a mess. Probably is not be repairable.
Water intrusion has been my biggest concern since the factory original also had water intrusion. The way these actuators are mounted, where the shaft comes out seems to be a great place for water to enter the mechanism. The only way to prevent this would be to mount the actuator upside down, which would create a problem with the cabling.
I know those of you that have converted to the Windy-nation actuator probably didn't want to hear this news!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #136

Swampweasel, if I understand what you're saying, you've replaced the original actuator with a Windy Nation one and it too has failed. While you had your unit stored did you have it covered so water couldn't get to the actuator? I have a tarp over our unit, making sure that there is air flow under the tarp so mildew or mold won't start growing. I've checked under the cover quite often to make sure that the camper isn't getting wet from all the rain we've been having here in the Tampa Bay area this summer and it's been dry everytime. I'm uncovering the camper on Wednesday for this weekends outing and let you know how the actuator is operating. Good luck with your's.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #137

Hi Ortep
No, I didn't have the camper covered. I keep I set up from spring thru fall. When I'm camping and it rains, I would still have the problem. These actuators are supposed to be waterproof, but I don't see how this is possible in the position they are mounted. I am starting to think that motorized roof actuators are a very bad idea. I like how the newer units use gas springs for roof assist, but I am not sure I am up to tackling that type of an install right now.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #138
OYO

Joe,

So you think the water us running down the arm and getting in?

Thanks
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #139

We are on our third one and now we know why....Thank you for posting all the information and giving us some solutions. It's nice to know about the gas operated as an option.
Mountain Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #140

Hi OYO
Yes, I believe that is how the water got in. There doesn't seem to be any good seal between the extendable arm and the actuator body. The motor end is well gasketed, so I don't hink it is getting in there, however it could be getting in around the 2 screws on top of the motor cap. The screw shafts had a lot of rust on them. It would be easy to seal around the screw heads. My original factory actuator had water and rust in it also.
I haven't been able to think of any good way to seal around the extendable arm where it enters the actuator body without impairing the operation.
I do believe the windy_nation is a much better actuator than the original factory actuator, if I can find a way to eliminate the water entry.

Tags
roo, roof