My custom actuator is now semi-final, and ready to show.
I used the Windy Nation actuator 30" model from ebay, along with some bolts, nuts, and all as shown.
The mounting plate that I added to the bottom of the camper is made from hardware store steel plate, 1/8" x 2" x 6". It is held on with 4 rivets that are 3/16" x 1/2" long. The bottom and top bolts are "all thread" 5/16" machine screws. The top bolt has a special thin head that has a head thickness of 1/8". There is 1/4" of clearance between the roof guide rails, so a thin head bolt must be used there.
The actuator works very well, running smoothly and not even warming up.
My DPDT switch is not weatherproof, so I mounted it inside of a can with 4' feet of extension wire. It is kept in my weatherproof tool box at the rear of the camper.
Wiring runs to the battery box from the switch, with the + going to the off side of my battery cut-off switch and the - going to the battery post. An inline fuse serves for protection inside the battery box.
I opted to use the maximum limit for the raise, which means after the limit stops on raise, I need to use a mild push up on the roof side opposite of the actuator that snaps the top into the locking notches at the top of the A. To lower, I run the actuator down about a second, and then push up on the front roof handle to unlock the roof sections. Then I run the actuator down and let it stop on its limit switch.
All is working fine, and very smooth. I happen to have a 15w solar panel mounted on the front roof panel, and it is not heavy, but it does add to the lifting process a bit. I am looking forward to adding another solar panel in the future, and I am confident that the actuator will handle it well.
Total cost was about $100.00 for all parts.
I'll be glad to answer any questions, although I have to state that I will not guarantee that any duplication of this project may work perfectly, or at all.
The measurements and angle of the actuator are critical, and the actuator must be spaced out just slightly away from the camper to clear the grill mounting rail.
I also lubed all roof panel and side panel hinges, and lubed the guide rails where the back panel ends slide along the front roof panel.
If you decide to take on your own version of this project, be sure use a wood block to block up the roof panels when working on the upper mounting bolt.
Thanks for the feedback, and Happy Camping!