Old 07-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #71

If\when mine breaks again I'm getting one of the 30" from ebay too! Looking at the pictures I noticed in the last one there is a bent washer at the peak for the tarp awning and I thought wow Mick did that one too?. Another great mod! (I'm doing that one too) Thanks Mick!

Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #72

I installed the Windy_Nation 30" linear actuator on my A192HW today. The install was easier than I originally anticipated. I used the existing top mount, but had to slightly move the bottom mount. I had to lower the bottom mount approximately 3/4", and had to move it over about the same distance because when they installed it at the factory, 2 of the 4 mounting screws missed the wood inside and were only screwed into the styrofoam insulation! I used 3/16 thick bolts instead of screws to re-attach the bottom mount. I located the bottom mount so that the actuator lower limit switch operated just as the roof closed. This actuator is longer than the original so care is needed when raising the roof to stop just at the point that the roofs interlock. This actuator sounds much better than the original, and hopefully will last a long time. Overall, I am very pleased with the installation. If anybody needs more info or details on how to do this, just let me know. Total cost was $90.

Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #73

Congrats!

I have operated my actuator a few times lately, as I am usually doing something or looking for something to do. Although I have to admit, I do like to watch it work.

Nothing like smooth machinery hummin and working right!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #74

Thanks Mick! You were my inspiration to tackle this and I am glad I did.
$90 for a stronger actuator sure beats a F.R. replacement at $800+ !
Old 07-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #75

Just brought my new A214HW home last week. Top was up at the dealers when I picked it up. Stopped overnight on way home , lifted and lowered there. Lifted when I got home. Tried to lower it today and the the top quit moving. Lots of noise but no action. Guess I'll have to see if I can get it fixed locally.

Anybody know how to lower it by hand?
Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #76

Hi Bugmasher
To lower your roof manually you will have to disconnect the top of your actuator at the roof end. remove the nut, pull the actuator from the bolt. You can swing the actuator down to the ground. Fold down the 2 a-frame walls as usual. For the roof, it's best to have 2 people, one at the side handle on the rear roof, the other at the side handle on the front roof. you may have to stand on a stool or short ladder. The rear roof person will hold the rear roof up while the front roof person lifts up to disconnect the 2 roofs. Both people now slowly lower the roofs. The rear roof goes first and the front roof follows it down. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. My wife and I operated our roof manually several times until I replaced the actuator.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #77

Mine crapped out this summer. Dealer I purchased from is in Michigan, 700+ miles away. Local dealers aren't too helpful. Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #78
World Traveler Member

I have the old and short syndrome and I carry a fordable stool and when opening my unit I use it and have someone else Usually my wife push up on the other handle to get me started and its not too bad! Most of my camping experience I have met a lot of nice campers and I never had a problem asking for a little assist if needed.

I am trying to figure out how to build a lift pole that I can pull out with a DC motor to use on the ground in the future to get me up. Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #79

abdiver said:
"I am trying to figure out how to build a lift pole that I can pull out with a DC motor to use on the ground in the future to get me up. Any ideas?"

No need to go to all that trouble abdiver, I hear that you can solve that problem with a little blue pill now!
Old 10-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampweasel View Post
abdiver said:
"I am trying to figure out how to build a lift pole that I can pull out with a DC motor to use on the ground in the future to get me up. Any ideas?"

No need to go to all that trouble abdiver, I hear that you can solve that problem with a little blue pill now!
Don't give up your day job quite yet.

For those that have dificult getting the roof to start opening. Make sure you raise it just enough to open the lower door. With the door open, the initial lift is much easier and the momentum relieves much of the need for high reach lift force.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof