Old 10-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #81
OYO

Ours bit the dust this week. Eight months, go figure.

It wasn't as difficult to raise/lower as I thought it would be. And I did it myself.

Do you think there is any chance I can just have the dealer or FR send me one? My drive time and their install time would be at least a day, vs. my install time of an hour max.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:47 AM   #82

My dealer sent me a replacement but mine was under warranty. If yours is a warranty repair save the packaging so you can send the defective one back to the dealer.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #83
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfuji View Post
My dealer sent me a replacement but mine was under warranty. If yours is a warranty repair save the packaging so you can send the defective one back to the dealer.
Thanks, it is under warranty. Looks pretty easy to do.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #84
OYO

I'd like to give a big thanks to Forest River and the warranty department at Specialty RV in Lancaster Ohio.

I called Specialty on Monday about replacing my actuator and explained we were taking the camper to the smokies this weekend. The warranty manager said he'd send one, but it would probably be a couple of weeks.

I came home yesterday after a hard day of fishing and it was sitting on the porch.

Thank you!
Old 11-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #85

Difficulty Raising Roof

Hi Swampweasel and anyone else
I have a 2016 T21TBHW. After reading many reports of actuator failure I decided to try lifting the roof by hand. Never know when we will be out on the road and it fails. I removed the top acorn nut and disengaged the actuator from the mount. Then the fun began. There was NO WAY that I could lift the roof by hand. I could get the front section up about a foot the back section did not move. Pushing the handle on the back section was fruitless. It felt like the torsion springs were not even there. Any thoughts? The dealer insists that it should pop right up....it does not.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #86

Hi Boatman
When we raised our roof by hand, I had my wife pushing up on the rear roof while I pushed up on the front roof. The further you are from the hinge, the easier it will be, but you will soon run out of reach. It helps to stand on a stool or short stepladder.
Hope this helps.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #87

Difficulty Raising Roof

Anyone designed any kind of "pole" that can be used to push on the handles once they are out of normal reach?
Old 11-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #88

I used an old snow shovel handle after the plastic blade broke.

Drilled a hole, put some glue on the threads of a garage hardware hook,
and here it is for your custom redesign.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1478996298.070461.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	125140

Works great!
Old 11-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #89

Thanks This looks like an easy solution. Two of these and we may be able to raise the roof. Will give it a try this week. We have 4 trips to Fla planned this winter 10 days to 3 weeks each and wanted to make sure that potential actuator issues don't put a crimp in our plans.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #90

Actuator number 3 for us...
We have a 2016 Flagstaff T19QBHW. Our first Actuator went out the day after we purchased our camper. The replacement has only lasted 10 months and about 16 camping trips. The camper is still under warranty. We were wondering if there's been any improvements to the actuators in the last year? We've had to put the top up manually and it's difficult when you're short and not real strong. Does anyone know if the ALiner brand has these same issues? They seem to go up easy and they're not power.

Tags
roo, roof