Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #41

I agree brewjaz. My wife and I just went out and raised the roof by hand and it wasn't that hard to do. There are 12V linear actuators on eBay that are 30 inch, slightly too long for this application. It would require moving the roof mounted attachment point, and may go too far before hitting it's limit switch. The good part is that it is twice the lift capacity of the Forest River unit. I may buy one to experiment with, but in the meantime we will work the roof by hand.
We can't let this stop us from camping!
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampweasel View Post
I agree brewjaz. My wife and I just went out and raised the roof by hand and it wasn't that hard to do. There are 12V linear actuators on eBay that are 30 inch, slightly too long for this application. It would require moving the roof mounted attachment point, and may go too far before hitting it's limit switch. The good part is that it is twice the lift capacity of the Forest River unit. I may buy one to experiment with, but in the meantime we will work the roof by hand.
We can't let this stop us from camping!
It won't stop me from camping either :-) ---BUT the roof assist sure comes in handy when I camp by myself. I can do it--but only with a LOT of struggling and time.

Not that I would be able to install it myself (although who knows--I may attempt it if I'm really desperate), but could you post the link to the one you found on eBay? I tried "roof actuator" and "roof assist" and couldn't come up with any. I'm curious. Thanks in advance.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #43

Heavy Duty 30" 30 inch Linear Actuator Stroke 225 lb Pound Max Lift 12V Volt DC | eBay

If the link doesn't work, search for linear actuator 30 inch.
Bear in mind that it is a little too long both when retracted and extended. I am not sure if it is adaptable to our application. It would definitely require moving the upper attachment point.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #44

Have one our 21DMHW. Up and down fine, but new unit this spring. Switch was broken at delivery (piece of junk), but one nut removed and manually lifted with no problem (need reasonable strength and good height!). Slow up and down - at least for me. For me - nice to have, but not necessary.
Eph 2.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:51 PM   #45

The eBay vendor now has

A 20" actuator, and I am wondering if that would work?

What do you think?
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #46

A 20" actuator would require moving the bottom attachment point way up. Because of the built in limit switches in the actuator, the mounting points are critical so that it starts and stops precisely at the correct places. Changing to a different actuator is not as simple as it first seems.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #47

Got my 2016 rockwood a213hw with power roof assist a couple of weeks ago. I opened it up in driveway to organize storage, etc. When I tried to retract the roof, the bolt at the lift motor sheared and showed signs of rust. Took it to dealer today for repair and wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem.
jlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #48

I am going for it(the ebay actuator)

After reading the posts several times, I took some measurements on my A122, based on what I could see from the couple of pics and a youtube video.

I think the 30" actuator will work, if the lower base mounting point is moved lower, and possibly using the bottom trim existing screw just in front of the coolcat. At the top, the mounting point will depend on where the limit works right with the roof raised. Worst case scenario, I think, is that I might have to add an aluminum plate to add about 1.5" up beyond the existing top edge. No big deal.

I will report on my project, although it will probably be a month until completion.
Wish us all luck!
Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
After reading the posts several times, I took some measurements on my A122, based on what I could see from the couple of pics and a youtube video.

I think the 30" actuator will work, if the lower base mounting point is moved lower, and possibly using the bottom trim existing screw just in front of the coolcat. At the top, the mounting point will depend on where the limit works right with the roof raised. Worst case scenario, I think, is that I might have to add an aluminum plate to add about 1.5" up beyond the existing top edge. No big deal.

I will report on my project, although it will probably be a month until completion.
Wish us all luck!
Waiting anxiously to hear how you make out!! Hopefully my 2nd roof assist will last long enough for me to hear your results..... If it works, pictures would be much appreciated!!
Old 06-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #50

I've got a 2015 HW that didn't come with an actuator, I felt I got hosed but to be honest I don't think I've seen 2 posts where these things worked well for any length of time. I feel better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 t19qbhw
2015 Toyota Tundra crewmax lmtd
Old 06-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #51

Knock on wood, mine has dozens of uses now without issue. It's painfully slow compared to manually opened units, but it allows my 9 year old to open it while I'm setting stabs and such.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
I've got a 2015 HW that didn't come with an actuator, I felt I got hosed but to be honest I don't think I've seen 2 posts where these things worked well for any length of time. I feel better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 t19qbhw
2015 Toyota Tundra crewmax lmtd
I have used my T21 QBHW for a year now ! Just completed my 10h week of camping with it, and many deiveway openings. The actuator has been flawless! It gets complaints for being slow, but my wife has the top raised and the steps set before I have the stabilizers down . I couldn't be happier, If and when it goes I will definately replace it !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	112234  
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #53

mickrock, thanks for your post about the 30" actuator. Do you think it would work if you used the existing lower mounting point and moved the upper mounting point to the left until the actuator fits at the lower limit. This would essentially put the upper point higher on the roof panel which would be easier for the actuator to raise the roof. The only thing I am having trouble wrapping my head around is if the upper limit switch will trip at the right place.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #54

mickrock- I just went out and looked at my A-frame, it is setup in my driveway. I see why my suggestion of moving the top mount to the left might not work due to the overlap of the front roof when closed. Do you think your idea of the top aluminum plate would work if extended even higher so that the original bottom mount would not have to move?
Old 06-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #55

SDC cx ri vs d5ta1qzq1 Wadsworth Dr110 110 cx x gr x xxz vegan been xzz a
Old 06-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #56

brainstorming the 30" actuator installation

swampweasel - glad you are joining in with the brainstorming of the actuator design installation. I agree much with your concern about the angle of the lift rod, as I think the factory top mount placement is too close to the hinge side, and stressing the stock actuator lift process mechanically. But, I am not an engineer, and only a novice of practicality.

A download of the 30" actuator owner's manual is available on ebay, but it only offers a few specs. I do not have the actuator to see the real and actual measurements that will be used.

I do agree with you that a top mount point close to the rear roof top corner is advantageous, and I will find out if an aluminum plate needs to be added for additional height to enable mounting. The top mounting bracket appears to have a swivel in it for the rod mount, but this will also need to be seen and worked with.

As for the bottom mount, I think it will need to be lower than the factory placement. This is based on the bottom unit being 34.13" long. I am considering the factory screw point just ahead of the bottom of the coolcat for a low hole mounting point. This is the lowest available, existing.

Again, all remains to be seen and worked out, especially before any drilling takes place. I did learn something from engineers that I worked with.

If you have the factory actuator, can you measure and post the length of the rod lift stroke, and the length of the total open bottom unit.

I apologize to those who think this is all nonsense, but maybe it is.
Maybe it will become useful for others, if we get it all worked out to success.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #57

Hi mick
Sorry I can't get any measurements from my stock unit, it's toast.
I had written to the guy that sells the 30" actuators and he sent me the fully retracted and fully extended measurements. I will see if I can find them.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #58

mick-
I lost the email with the extended and retracted lengths, but looking on the Windy Nation listing on eBay, I think the retracted length of the 30" actuator is 34.13" and the extended length would be 64.13". Sorry I can't come up with the measurements from the stock unit.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #59

LMAO I was just catching up on this thead and I saw I posted complete nonsense! This may be a first... has anyone ever done a butt post before?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfuji View Post
LMAO I was just catching up on this thead and I saw I posted complete nonsense! This may be a first... has anyone ever done a butt post before?
Done that a few times--usually on Facebook, not here. Ha ha. I did notice the word "vegan" in your post.....just curious, because I am, are you?

Tags
roo, roof