Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #1

Anyone modded a Rockwood/Flagstaff bed into a sofa bed?

Hello Everyone.... I am a first time poster.
I haven't even purchased the A Frame camper yet but plan to this weekend.

It looks like I will be purchasing a 2017 Rockwood 214HW. I would have preferred the 213HW floorpan but this one is a silly good price, So, the thing I prefer about the 213 is the twin beds which can be utilized as sofas during the day and also are easier to get out of during the night.
So with that in mind, I'd like to know if anyone has performed a modification on a bed in one of these campers to install a sofa bed type set up.... like the one in an Aliner.
I know it is always best to get the floorpan you want and normally I would be willing to pay more to get this feature but I am getting such a good deal on this camper that I can't turn it down.

Thank you for your help....
hfc7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

What's a silly good price? I was talked out of getting the same model you are by the dealer, and getting a GeoPro (little hard side) G19FD. And it has...tadaah!!! A sofa that folds down into a Murphy bed! I figured I would be spending about 15k on the HW214. Ended up spending about 2600 more on the Geo.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
What's a silly good price? I was talked out of getting the same model you are by the dealer, and getting a GeoPro (little hard side) G19FD. And it has...tadaah!!! A sofa that folds down into a Murphy bed! I figured I would be spending about 15k on the HW214. Ended up spending about 2600 more on the Geo.
Thanks for the response....The price is $10k which is pretty good.
I need a folding camper so the one you suggest will not work for me.
I used to own an Airstream and the storage fees killed me. Not just that but the closest decent storage facility is about 15-20 minutes away in wrong direction for me so this time it's going in the garage for convenience!
There is always a price to pay for that and it means I cannot get a standard travel trailer. I'm liking the idea of an A frame though - simple, small and easy to tow.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:00 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

wow, 10k is a GREAT price! Can't wait to see your pics of it!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfc7713 View Post
Hello Everyone.... I am a first time poster.
I haven't even purchased the A Frame camper yet but plan to this weekend.

It looks like I will be purchasing a 2017 Rockwood 214HW. I would have preferred the 213HW floorpan but this one is a silly good price, So, the thing I prefer about the 213 is the twin beds which can be utilized as sofas during the day and also are easier to get out of during the night.
So with that in mind, I'd like to know if anyone has performed a modification on a bed in one of these campers to install a sofa bed type set up.... like the one in an Aliner.
I know it is always best to get the floorpan you want and normally I would be willing to pay more to get this feature but I am getting such a good deal on this camper that I can't turn it down.

Thank you for your help....
I think the key is how much are you going to have to spend to do the mod and then being able to do it. I have a 2018 twin bed high wall. The center addition to make it a king bed stays home in the garage simply because it feels too closed in if it's in place. There is no way my husband and I would have survived in any other model without making friends with a divorce lawyer or at least a counselor at some point, lol. Since we also prefer a folding camper, the choices are limited.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
I think the key is how much are you going to have to spend to do the mod and then being able to do it. I have a 2018 twin bed high wall. The center addition to make it a king bed stays home in the garage simply because it feels too closed in if it's in place. There is no way my husband and I would have survived in any other model without making friends with a divorce lawyer or at least a counselor at some point, lol. Since we also prefer a folding camper, the choices are limited.

Ha ha ....yes Im not sure just how much work I want to do on this. I am still up in the air really......
Old 10-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Looking at the two floorplans, what were you thinking of doing for this mod? If you want to split the bed in the 214 into 2, realize the bed is only 60" wide, whereas the 213 the length you have is 74". I would think if you chopped a U shape out of the 214 to make it like the 213, you're going to end up with some pretty short beds. You'd have to be shorter than 5' to be comfortable.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Looking at the two floorplans, what were you thinking of doing for this mod? If you want to split the bed in the 214 into 2, realize the bed is only 60" wide, whereas the 213 the length you have is 74". I would think if you chopped a U shape out of the 214 to make it like the 213, you're going to end up with some pretty short beds. You'd have to be shorter than 5' to be comfortable.
Good point - Thank you Kaadk. I hadn't thought about that.

More to consider.....
Old 10-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #9

The only way this would work would be to modify the bed to be more like the sofa bed on the Aliner that I referenced in my first post. That way it will fold down to a bed but still have the ability to fold up into a sofa during the day. This was more what I was thinking when I threw out the question...
Old 10-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe something like the rear bunk/sofa on my parent's 19-whatever 16' trailer we used to camp in. The sofa basically had 2 pieces of plywood, and 2 cushions. In sofa mode, the the movable plywood would slide on top of the fixed plywood at the back of the bed, one cushion on the bottom on top of both pieces of plywood, one cushion standing up behind as the back of the sofa. When you needed a bed, you would slide the movable plywood out from the stack, so it sat beside the fixed plywood, and would sit on a couple of L-channels at either end of the bed. Then the two cushions would be laid down to make the bed.

Used to have to share that bed with my brother growing up, and as the younger of us, I had to sleep on the movable part, as I was lighter and dad was worried about the weight on just plywood laying on L-channels.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Maybe something like the rear bunk/sofa on my parent's 19-whatever 16' trailer we used to camp in. The sofa basically had 2 pieces of plywood, and 2 cushions. In sofa mode, the the movable plywood would slide on top of the fixed plywood at the back of the bed, one cushion on the bottom on top of both pieces of plywood, one cushion standing up behind as the back of the sofa. When you needed a bed, you would slide the movable plywood out from the stack, so it sat beside the fixed plywood, and would sit on a couple of L-channels at either end of the bed. Then the two cushions would be laid down to make the bed.

Used to have to share that bed with my brother growing up, and as the younger of us, I had to sleep on the movable part, as I was lighter and dad was worried about the weight on just plywood laying on L-channels.
Yes this is more like why I would have to do.
However, the other concern would be that the A/C is right at the front of the bed unit to my knowledge so I'd have to re-route and re-position that too presumably.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I don't have a A-Frame, so no knowledge of what's under the bed. Based on the floorpan, maybe you could make an L-shaped couch? (provided of course if the rest of that area is open space).
Old 10-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #13

I have one more question that might need a new thread started. My tow hitch on my mini van is basic and has the 4 pin flat connecter - I use tit with my box utility trailer.. No sway bars, brake controller etc.

Another reason for this choice of camper is that it can be towed quite easily by a mini van which is the vehicle we intend to tow with. I do not want to have to install brake controllers, sway bars etc but I want to be safe. We used to have a Tahoe which had all that when we towed our Airstream.
We certainly won't be using it in windy/bad weather - we are fair weather campers - LOL. Do you think it will be problem using a basic tow hitch with an adaptor from the flat connector to the round style for the electrics????
Old 10-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have one more question that might need a new thread started. My tow hitch on my mini van is basic and has the 4 pin flat connecter - I use tit with my box utility trailer.. No sway bars, brake controller etc.

Another reason for this choice of camper is that it can be towed quite easily by a mini van which is the vehicle we intend to tow with. I do not want to have to install brake controllers, sway bars etc but I want to be safe. We used to have a Tahoe which had all that when we towed our Airstream.
We certainly won't be using it in windy/bad weather - we are fair weather campers - LOL. Do you think it will be problem using a basic tow hitch with an adaptor from the flat connector to the round style for the electrics????
If it's got a 7-pin, it's probably got trailer brakes. If you have trailer brakes you want a brake controller. I'm not sure about all areas, but I've heard that here in Ontario at least it's illegal to tow a trailer that has brakes without a way to actuate them.

You'll also benefit from a at least some kind of sway control. I hear these HW units can be up to 6' high, so you're still going to be susceptible to cross winds and being pushed around by big rigs.

Edit: Maybe look at the Andersen hitch. Simple and lightweight for your needs.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #15

I own an A213HW and use the twin setup usually - love it!! Personally I just use on of those big pillows with the arms attached, and rest it against the end of the bed - that way I can stretch out fully while still sitting up
jncadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #16

A silly good price for something you don't want is an oxymoron.

A conversion with OEM interior parts might work, but I've never directly compared the interiors. The big single bed model would make awkward situations with anyone other than my spouse. My hunting buddies would have to bring their own tents (as would anyone else).

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #17

Quote:

I tow my Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as A213HW) with a minivan - 2008 Hyundai Entourage. The tongue weight is pretty heavy for a minivan - about 400lbs. I would not tow it without my E2 600/6000, which I purchased to tow my previous A-frame, a 2014 Rockwood A122. With the WDH, it tows very close to a stock ride. With the WDH, my bride feels quite comfortable driving the tow, even in the 35MPH crosswinds we have encountered in Colorado. Without the WDH, the trailer would porpoise causing similar motions at the back end of the van.

Similarly, towing without a brake controller and working trailer brakes - please stay well away from me. The combination of no WDH and no trailer brakes means you are an accident waiting to happen. Without WDH, a lot of weight has been removed from your minivan's front end, which provides the traction and most of the braking. Without trailer brakes, your minivan has to do all the stopping of the minivan and the trailer, and with reduced traction in the front end. This in addition to towing a 3000lb trailer without functioning brakes is illegal in most states.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
A silly good price for something you don't want is an oxymoron.

A conversion with OEM interior parts might work, but I've never directly compared the interiors. The big single bed model would make awkward situations with anyone other than my spouse. My hunting buddies would have to bring their own tents (as would anyone else).

-- Chuck
But I don't necessarily NOT want it. That is why I am exploring my options....
Thanks though.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
I tow my Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as A213HW) with a minivan - 2008 Hyundai Entourage. The tongue weight is pretty heavy for a minivan - about 400lbs. I would not tow it without my E2 600/6000, which I purchased to tow my previous A-frame, a 2014 Rockwood A122. With the WDH, it tows very close to a stock ride. With the WDH, my bride feels quite comfortable driving the tow, even in the 35MPH crosswinds we have encountered in Colorado. Without the WDH, the trailer would porpoise causing similar motions at the back end of the van.

Similarly, towing without a brake controller and working trailer brakes - please stay well away from me. The combination of no WDH and no trailer brakes means you are an accident waiting to happen. Without WDH, a lot of weight has been removed from your minivan's front end, which provides the traction and most of the braking. Without trailer brakes, your minivan has to do all the stopping of the minivan and the trailer, and with reduced traction in the front end. This in addition to towing a 3000lb trailer without functioning brakes is illegal in most states.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

Thank you -Point taken .... this is one of reasons I wanted some advice from folks who actually do this and not someone who simply wants to sell me something.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jncadventures View Post
I own an A213HW and use the twin setup usually - love it!! Personally I just use on of those big pillows with the arms attached, and rest it against the end of the bed - that way I can stretch out fully while still sitting up
From what I have read I am definitely getting the impression that the 2 singles is the more popular lay out....

Tags
bed, flagstaff, rockwood