Old 08-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #11

DW and I started camping a long time ago in a popup. After going thru a progression of campers, we are back in a popup...because it is what we like. Lately we've been one of the few popups in the campground as we camp in the mid-Atlantic states, but this summer in the Black Hills I was astounded to see about 1/3 popups when we camped there. We are happy in our lone popup and we hope the Frame and 5er owners are equally so!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #12

We all started out small and got bigger. Enjoy your camping.

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Never worry about what others think. Enjoy camping as you like it.
Amen.

In our tenting days, there were times when we were surrounded by trailers and motorized RVs -- and had a great time, including short periods chatting with our neighbors. Now that we have a trailer, we occasionally have tenters next to us--and that works fine as well.

There are bad apples camping in anything, but like with anything else, don't blame it on the item, but the user. And, overall, we've found many more good users than bad.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #14

You don't need a 40'er to enjoy the outdoors. Me and DW parked next to a 3 axle 5ver in Truckee and the owner said they never use the stove nor the oven mainly it was for travel.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy
Never worry about what others think. Enjoy camping as you like it.

I've heard it said "you wouldn't worry about what others think of you if you realized how little they do"

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #16

We camped at a campground in Cave City Kentucky. Nice little campground. We were in a 25 year old pop-up (though it still liked liked new) surrounded by large 5th wheels and motorhomes. My wife and I kidded each other about bring the property value of the campground down. We had a great time and met some nice folks. We have since moved to a 25' TT but still often find ourselves surrounded by large units. It doesn't matter. Just enjoy the trip. If you like the adventure, you will probably be in one of the "big rigs" one day. I know we will when my bride finally retires and we can go full time for awhile.
2013 Palomino Gazelle G215
oldcomputerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #17

Nancycas, I think you are probably just feeling self concious because it's a new camper for you. Over the years I have heard many comments from people who ask me if I feel weird being next to the big rigs at various events I attend with my A-Frame.

I don't mind at all. The big rigs provide shade and make excellent windbreaks. I've given many tours to curious owners. They often stop what they are doing and pause to watch it get set up. A couple times I've had someone come over and lament they missed it and ask when I get ready to take it down, if I would tell them. Haha

We camp annually at a particular private campground. The owner tells me he enjoys looking at the A-Frames and he does tell me he likes to park me at the front and where it can be seen by everyone passing his park because it draws attention to the entry. Lol

You own an A-Frame, the attention it draws from the general public comes with the territory. You'll find yourself giving tours and chatting about its unique qualities.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #18

No worries about our neighbors. In one of our fav CG we always request a pull sites and those are where the larger units are. All around us we had beautiful Airstreams, huge MH's and a ton of 5th-wheels. And across the road were pop ups, cars with tents using stand alone screen houses around their picnic tables. No big deal. We love our TT and enjoyed our camping.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #19

Well I am so glad I asked the question otherwise I wouldn't have read such good stories. I do love our A-line and despite the fact the fivers are somewhat intimidating many of them are so cool looking. I doubt I will ever grow up though to pull something that big. Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. Happy Camping.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #20

I only camp in FS or BLM campgrounds so limited size (last one I was in was 45" total including TV) or in dispersed sites up nasty roads where the big ones generally do not go.
Usually the trailers I see in FS campgrounds are smaller. Found they like sites with water/electricity, something most don't have.
Had a very large MH pull into a site across from me once, took up the entire site, they had no place to put their toad, and the guy wondered over and asked me where the power pedestal was...he left cause of no power.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote