Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Talking Arrival, departure, closing up at home checklists for A-frame?

I've read some of the rv checklists but many items don't apply to A-frames. Was wondering if you would be willing to share any checklist you use for trip departure, campground arrival, and/or closing up the A-frame at home.
Thanks so much!

PegKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
I really don't use a checklist anymore. After doing it for a while you sort of get in the habit of doing each step without thinking about it.

The one thing I sometimes forget to do is to remove the wheel chocks but once I try moving and it don't want to move I immediately remember the wheel chocks and take them out and store them.

When I first got my aframe I just took one of the many lists I found and adapted it to exactly what I needed but caught myself not using them.

Tow Vehicle: 2012 Durango 3.6 Pentastar Engine
Purchased 2013 A128S 01-15-14
Total nights camping 2014-(10)
Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(3)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
I don't have a camper specific list and the sometimes makes for trouble. Like this past trip when I was in a hurry for a last minute trip and forgot to put the grey water container in my truck. Thankfully I generate little grey water anyway and its easy enough to just rinse things at the tap like the tent campers do.

My lists are for meal planning and clothing, which vary far more than routine camper operations. Like David, I sometimes forget to remove a chock when hitching at home, but it doesn't take much revving of the TV engine to figure out why the camper won't move.

My pre/post list for the camper would be for things that are normally stored in it, but sometimes are removed at home for cleaning or need periodic replenishing.

Cable bag (device USB, stereo jumper, earbuds)
Reading glasses
Bath kit including a towel (always have a towel)
Dish washing supplies (inside and out, I keep soap and a brush in the outside shower)
Disposable towels, plates and tableware.

I should stick this on Evernote with my other lists.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Like the others, the maintenance and use of a checklist is just too much trouble for a simple A-frame. The first 4 trips, at the end of a trip we reviewed what we wanted, but didn't have, and stuff we did not use. The latter was a longer list, and was removed from the camper.

Our goal is to keep everything ready to go. The A122 stores in our garage (I can even set it up inside the garage in the new house). We keep it stocked and stored with everything but food, drink, water, normal clothing, the EZ-up, folding chairs, and the carpet for the entrance (all those except water go in the minivan TV).

We can choose to go on a trip the night before and leave the next morning with less than an hour's effort. This includes charging the batteries, checking the air pressure in camper and TV tires, loading TV, adding water (if necessary), and hooking up.

I've pulled a couple of SPUTs by not using a checklist - luckily none have resulted in damage.

- forgot to pull chocks on departure from campground. Resulted in partially collapsed plastic chock.
- forgot to raise stabilizers on departure from campground. Resulted in slight bend on one stab that I was able to straighten.
- forgot to change battery in smoke detector annually. Resulted in cutting wires to CO/propane detector in effort to silence alarm - completely forgot there was a D-cell powered smoke detector.

keeping camping simple so we'll go more often
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
I agree. The beauty of these doggies is hook up and go. There's alway a supply store somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Flagstaff t19QBHW
2015 tundra
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
I agree with pgamdw and mudman2. We keep our A122S in our home garage loaded and ready to go ( only need food, water and clothes). Love the aframe as nohing to air before and after camping is a +++++

Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

a-frame, frame, check list