Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #11

We went to the RV show this past weekend here in Madison. Since our camper is only last year's model, we weren't really in any kind of a market to buy anything, so outside of poking our head through a few travel trailers ("someday retirement campers" we called them). There were A LOT of people there so it was tough to look at

Our local Rockwood dealer did have three aframes and I did see one with the toilet on the port side that emptied the cassette to the outside and no front dinnette (so I assume that it was the A194HW). We honestly didn't look that closely at them because, again, not in the market any time soon.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to replace the upper section of the door with the one with curtains and a screen. I can only hope that it's a one-for-one replacement. Can anyone with a better relationship with FR check into that and maybe get the pricing?

I do like the idea of a HW version, because even though I'm short (5'7") the counter is still a little low for my taste. I, however, worry about putting the top up - it's already sometimes a struggle for us at times to lift.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Mostly Harmless

The FR factory rep I talked to gave me the number to call at the factory: 574-642-2640. He said to call that number and ask for Parts. This wasn't in a conversation about the new doors but I assume the Parts dept. would be able to answer questions about it as a swap-out for the original door. I would imagine you'd have to drill out the rivets that hold the door on and use pop rivets to attach the replacement.

It seemed to me that it might be simpler to just order the window unit itself, remove the diamond window, cut out the appropriate rough opening for the new one and pop it in. That would eliminate having to realign a new door and would save both on initial cost and shipping. Since my co-camper isn't interested in the idea, I won't be doing that myself (yet :-)).

You might have been looking at the A124S rather than the A194HW, unless it actually was the high wall model you saw. If the toilet/shower unit was directly across from the door it wasn't the high wall unit; the HW has the T/S combo just inside the door on the right.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

I'm glad others have noticed the new models with the screened upper door window. Ever since we purchased our hardside we have been trying to come up with a door window option that would be convenient and look professional. I saw this new door/window in the current FR brochure a few weeks back and did some investigating.
The new window is part # 10-16290A and sells for $103.60 plus shipping (was $20 to MN). I ordered one to look over and retrofit into my 2012 Flagstaff 12DDST which has the frosted diamond shaped window in the upper door. The new window needs a R.O. of 12" wide x 22" tall. The current diamond window is a couple of inches wider at its widest point. Therefore, cutting the existing opening is not a "clean" option due to the existing hole width being larger than the new requirement.
I have checked with FR parts and they do sell the new version of upper door assembly for $214 plus shipping. I was told the new door is hinged slightly different than the original upper door, so popping the hinges and putting the new door on the old hinges is NOT an option. This new upper door comes with the entire surround so it requires removing the ~30 screws in the old door surround, removing the calk, etc. and installing the new door and surround in the same manner. I will be ordering the upper door and doing this. The new door has a pre-cut R.O. of 12"x22" to fit the new window. Shouldn't be too difficult of project if I am able to get everything back in in a level manner. I will keep everyone posted as I progress through.
As Lee mentioned above, the FR parts line is 574-642-2640. I spoke with Kathy at ext. 118. She is very helpful and knowledgeable.
Hoping we REALLY enjoy the new window (at about $375 shipped)!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #14

Please keep us up to date as to the install on the new door. I don't think I have the expertise to do it myself, so I'd probably have to have my local dealer do it if I wanted to install the new door, but knowing the steps and such will be a big help.

Please start a new thread to document your screen-door adventure.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
If I'm reading the brochure right, the highwall model is 4" taller. That would be great for interior counters but I hadn't thought about making it harder to pop up the roof. Maybe a broomstick would solve that problem.

That model also has a double pan sink with a high rise faucet and there's an oven with the stove, according to the features chart. And a little extra research shows the new entry door on all models does have a screen in its window. Not quite as good as a screen door but the extra ventilation would be nice. I'm wondering if I can get one of those windows to put in my door, or maybe buy a new upper half door with the screen unit.

I didn't ask about the plumbing associated with the toilet/shower unit. The specs chart doesn't show either a grey- or black-water tank on that model so you're probably right about needing a bucket for the shower drain. I assume the toilet is a cassette unit like on the current models, although the molded unit it's part of is new, I think.

Attachment 23829

Photo of the interior with the new door and new color scheme.
We are in the process of finding out from FR if the top door of our new '12 A122BH can be refitted with the 2013's top door with the screened window.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
Mostly Harmless

Keep us posted!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #17

DW and I went to the RV show here in Omaha this past weekend and was surprized not to see any A-Frames, not a one. Interesting since the Rockwood dealer here has 15 of them listed on their web page. Saw only two low priced PUPS. Mostly there where TT's and Fivers, a few Class A's and Class B's and Class C's. Prices where on the high side to me, not much of a savings on anything. Was hoping to see the new A-Frames but no such luck. Will have to go the local dealer on my next day off.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #18

Excellent stuff here ... thanks for all that info on the retrofit.
Just an option that i have found very helpfull for us involves a purchase of another fantastic fan ... endless breeze model ...
This unit runs off of a 12volt line, so you need to install a 12volt "lighter plug", but with the air being drawn out of the camper, and this being pointed towards the bed area .. it makes for a great nights sleep .. both online and off the 120 electrical. We bearly use the cool cat at all .... only when camping hits the 85 plus mark.
d-mo
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Just an option that i have found very helpfull for us involves a purchase of another fantastic fan ... endless breeze model
I also own this fan. On the expensive side, but I think it was a good investment.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
DW and I went to the RV show here in Omaha this past weekend and was surprized not to see any A-Frames, not a one. Interesting since the Rockwood dealer here has 15 of them listed on their web page. Saw only two low priced PUPS. Mostly there where TT's and Fivers, a few Class A's and Class B's and Class C's. Prices where on the high side to me, not much of a savings on anything. Was hoping to see the new A-Frames but no such luck. Will have to go the local dealer on my next day off.
We found the same situation at the RV show in Cleveland back in January. It was disappointing and seems like the dealers are going for the big bucks. However, today we were able to order a 2014 Flagstaff A-Frame and we are super excited!!