Old 02-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Mostly Harmless

I went to the RV and camping show here today, mostly to look at the 2013 A-frames. While there I happened to meet the Rockwood factory rep, Rick DePauw. We had an interesting half-hour conversation about the development of the A-frame line at Forest River. When I asked him whose decision it was to produce the A-frame line, he told me it had been his insistence that the new product line would sell that finally overcame the company's initial resistance.

The 2013 line includes a new model, the A194HW, which is a high-wall version of the A128S and adds the stool/shower combo I refer to in the next paragraph, and an XL fridge, which I assume is larger. I would've liked to have a high-wall model for the higher counter height, although we're not likely to be getting rid of our current unit soon. The HW weighs in at about 164 pounds heavier than the 122, which is the lightest, and 66 pounds less than the 122TH, the heaviest model. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, for our budget), they didn't have one at the show.

New to me is the A124S, which has the rear dinette like the 128, but also a toilet/shower combo unit that sits where the stove is on other models. The stove, furnace, and converter are located forward and there is no front dinette.

The brochure I picked up shows an entry door with an opening window and curtains, though neither unit they had on display had that door. Maybe it's an option. I wonder if it has a screen? Looking at prices, I saw that items like the furnace, ceiling fan, and CO detector are now extra, though they were included in my 2011 unit. The A124S with the stool/shower combo was priced at $14,377, though the show special was something like $12,500, give or take a few hundred--I forgot to write it down.

Other than those changes I didn't see much that I hadn't heard about on 2012 models. The fit and finish on the display models was of course perfect, and I was especially impressed with how tightly the sidewall-to-roof-edge gaskets sealed. They must have worked on that since mine was made (though I've never had a leak around them).

Some photos of the 124S:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-992390491.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	23785   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-734174909.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	23786   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-939934721.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	23787   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3112286209.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	23788  

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

Thanks for the info. The Sports Show here in Omaha is in a couple of weeks and I am hoping to see some of these new A Frames along with other units. I will let you know what they have if anything is interesting.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Rockwood Premier A126

Interesting info on the new units, Thehamguy1, thanks! You realize though, it's kinda dangerous looking at new models. Eh, I'd guess that Courtenay will keep an eye on you in that regard!

I wonder if the high-wall intro would be a problem for someone like me (at 5'3") trying to lift the roof. However, taller sink/stove cabinets and bigger fridge would be a very nice trade off.

The toilet/shower combo in the A124S would be a nice convenience in the event of a poorly kept/non-existent shower house. I'm guessing there isn't a holding tank, so the shower water drain requires a bucket or sewer hookup?

It's good to see Forest River making improvements in the new models. Agreed, a standard screen door would just be "the berries" on all Aframes.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Mostly Harmless

If I'm reading the brochure right, the highwall model is 4" taller. That would be great for interior counters but I hadn't thought about making it harder to pop up the roof. Maybe a broomstick would solve that problem.

That model also has a double pan sink with a high rise faucet and there's an oven with the stove, according to the features chart. And a little extra research shows the new entry door on all models does have a screen in its window. Not quite as good as a screen door but the extra ventilation would be nice. I'm wondering if I can get one of those windows to put in my door, or maybe buy a new upper half door with the screen unit.

I didn't ask about the plumbing associated with the toilet/shower unit. The specs chart doesn't show either a grey- or black-water tank on that model so you're probably right about needing a bucket for the shower drain. I assume the toilet is a cassette unit like on the current models, although the molded unit it's part of is new, I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3158985275.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	23829

Photo of the interior with the new door and new color scheme.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #5

These are the only pictures I could find on the new model so far.

2013 Forest River Rockwood Premier A - On Lot
BC Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Rockwood Premier A126

From examining the photo, I'll bet the cassette "holding tank" slides out to the exterior. That would be a much nicer setup than it sliding out into the interior, as it does on our A126.

Oh, I see what you mean about the window in the door. Switching out the upper door with one having a screened window is a great idea. Then one could leave it open for ventilation while taking a hike to the shower house, for example. It would be pretty secure for a short period or while sleeping, I guess.

It appears to me that the screened sliding-open-part of the side window is larger (taller?) too. That could just be an illusion of the photo, though.

I'm curious if the new 'fridge has a better locking system. Dempster aside, we've read where you and others on the forum have had "incidents" with the door coming open during travel. Scary prospect!

The bucket for the shower wouldn't be too much of a big deal. At the same time, it would be nicer and more tidy if it drained out one outlet along with the sink.

My worry with the built in shower/toilet combo would be that I'd trip over the pan edge of the shower base while making my way to the potty in the middle of the night. You know, trying to be discrete, then create a bunch of racket climbing into the thing and wind up waking poor Gary after all. Um, I'm guessing that we should stay with what we have.

Interesting info and fun to read about while fending off cabin fever. Thanks again for the RV show update on Aframes.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Rockwood Premier A126

Oh, "BC Boy" posted a link while I was composing my post! The Aframe looks pretty nice. They really packed a lot into that little unit! Neat.

Deb

Old 02-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #8

Entry door window looks something like this one
RV Entry Doors
Would be easy to retrofit I bet.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

That does look easy to retrofit. A 24x15" R.O. Is all you'd need. With our camper buttoned up for winter, I can't get at the door to see whether that rough opening width would be enough to "absorb" the opening already there. If so, a hand-held grinder with a metal cutting blade should be able to cut the hole. The only question my spouse asks is whether we need the extra ventilation enough to justify the cost, given the screen thingy I already made for the doorway. Guess I can't answer that.

There's no mention in the ad of a screen for the opened window.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #10

Good catch on the screen. Didn't notice it missing.