Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Awning and Add-a-Room

How convenient is it to remove the awning when the weather is threatening? I will be picking up our new A192HW, later in April. What are the pros and cons with the a-frame awning. With our previous Coleman TT it wasn't a big issue to open or close it when ever. When one stops during their lunch breaks while on the road or loading up at home, before a trip, wouldn't the awning be in the way and a nuisance? Thanks.
A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Frame Don View Post
How convenient is it to remove the awning when the weather is threatening? I will be picking up our new A192HW, later in April. What are the pros and cons with the a-frame awning....
When we bought our A122 (March 2014), I asked about the add-a-room. My dealer did not want to sell it to me, even at full price. He said if I really, really wanted it, they would help me install a similar product made by a 3rd party, as the quality of the FR product was viewed as inferior for the price.

About a month later, when we started camping at various state parks in Colorado, my observations proved the dealer correct. Most (about 75% by my count) campers and popups did not deploy an awning. And at least 25% of those few that put up their awnings had problems in the winds we get around here.

There was an earlier thread in this forum about the add-a-room, that ended up concluding (if my memory is anything what it should be) setup of the add-a-room was a 2 person, 45 minute task, that storage when not in use or after takedown was an issue, and the attachment to the A-frame was velcro tape with its issues.

Since we do short (long weekend) trips in Colorado, quick setup and takedown was one of the main factors that sold us on an A-frame vs a PUP. The entire campsite is mostly done by me in less than an hour. The A-frame level/disconnect/setup takes about 15 minutes. The longest/hardest part of setup is setting up (takes both of us) and staking down the EZ-up over the picnic table. I have no interest in doubling campsite setup/takedown for an add-a-room that will prove to be troublesome in our winds.

When we had a PUP, we would not bother with the awning (as simple as it was) if it was only a one night stay.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #3

I have the T12RB I purchased the screen room with the trailer and I love it I have no issues with the quality. It’s been thru some crappy weather with me and hasn’t collapsed or given me grief. Would I put it up on an overnight trip no but I wouldn’t bother with my Coleman popup dining shelter either. So if you’re looking for something that goes up in a couple of minutes this won’t be it. But its not as complicated as people think I put it up by myself and I’m short, granted I need to use a 4 foot step ladder but I need to use the step ladder to open the roof on the A Frame.
On the down side I have had problems with keeping the Velcro strips stuck to the trailer as sun and dirt tend to deteriorate the glue.
The plus is it gives me extra room for the dogs and myself I especially appreciate when the weather is lousy. It’s a nice area to sit and read and not feel confined can hang a light and keeps the bugs at bay.
My vote is for the screen room for any thing over 2 nights, as long as I have an A Frame I’ll have the attached screen room.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #4

I negotiated the awning with the purchase of my A122SXR. We are going out this weekend on her maiden voyage and I plan to set it up. I don't forsee me using the screen room, but I am looking forward to having the awning for those afternoon rain showers in Colorado and a place to provide shade during trips to Moab. I will report back on how the setup goes.
biscuit72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit72 View Post
I negotiated the awning with the purchase of my A122SXR. We are going out this weekend on her maiden voyage and I plan to set it up. I don't forsee me using the screen room, but I am looking forward to having the awning for those afternoon rain showers in Colorado and a place to provide shade during trips to Moab. I will report back on how the setup goes.
When you set up follow the directions that come with the screen room in order my experience was if I improvised thinking I knew more I just made it more difficult. Good luck and have fun.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

So initial thoughts of the awning it that is just OK. It's like setting up a big tent. Not that hard...just takes some time. I really wish the side panels unzipped like the front panel and that you did not need to stake/velcro the side panel to the wall of the camper. All in all, it is OK, but I don't need the screen room. Not sure how much I will use it. Maybe, I might drop it off at my sisters to sew in a full zipper so that I would be able to remove the side panels. The Fast Pack awning for the Aliners seems more my style, however I am not sure how they would hold up in wind. I have not seen them for sale online...perhaps a call to Aliner.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8532/8...0d5c53b6_z.jpg
biscuit72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit72 View Post
....The Fast Pack awning for the Aliners seems more my style, however I am not sure how they would hold up in wind. I have not seen them for sale online...perhaps a call to Aliner.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8532/8...0d5c53b6_z.jpg
Thanks for the link to the Fast Pack awning. To me, that's exactly what an awning for an A-frame should be. My concerns would be the wind loading on the side and/or roof panels and their latches, and making sure opening the door does not touch the awning.

On the downside, just like a PUP, the roof is going to need lowering to strike the awning - not easily achieved once the wind has increased. As a result, I'm not sure I would use it that much in Colorado. But I do like the concept and the shade.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #8

Thank You

Thanks everyone for your comments, both pro and con. I now have some idea what to expect when I get my unit home and start playing with it. I see there are other threads discussing some of the same problems dealing with this accessory. Take care and go camping now!
A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, roo