Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #1

Awning ideas (home made) for Aframe

Hello All:

I have read several internet posts about awning on Aframe. My hubby resort to simple tarp each time and I think there has to be an easy way to sew or build one that is light and yet can withstand wind...just as good as the tarp idea back when we were young and tented with several tarps and survive the worst storm/rain in Alberta/BC weather. Any tips and tricks would greatly help this newbies to sew/glue something together that is light and yet look good at the same time. Hubby and I think A122S could be the one to keep for a very long time.

Thank you

Newbies to A122S
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

I am interested in this also. I have read about all the home made awnings, and the awning from Paha-Que. I would think that with the increasing popularity of A-frames that more companies would start to manufacture awnings for our A-frames.......
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #3

I used the strongest Command Strip hooks that I could find at Wally World. I think that they are 8lb. I placed them in the tarp holes to line them up. Even with only three hooks holding it onto the trailer, it held up nicely. I used extending poles for the other end. The wind did take it down, but it was the stakes that pulled from the ground. I used a blue tarp (12X16).

I do not have pics of it all set up.

The hooks also unhook from the base so the top can fold down that keeps the base stuck to the top and I do not waist the sticky stuff.

Jim
Jim n Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Awning ideas

On the other hand, if you should choose to buy the awning/screen room Dometic sells for the A 122S, I just posted a brand new one for sale in the classiified forum at a great price yesterday.

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

A Frame awning

The awning/screen area that came with mine was cumbersome to put up. I used a Kelty tarp, cut it to fit the angles and of the "A". I put a Velcro strip on the top rim of the camper, then a Velcro strip on the canvas. I used extension poles I got from Cabelas. Cord anchors. Worked great.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	87867  
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #6

That looks fantastic Loneeagle. That is what my hubby was trying to describe go me but this picture will show him and I if this is what he was talking about.
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, frame, a-frame