Old 09-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Awning/Screen Room

For anyone who has wondered about this, the Dometic screen room/awning that is made for the A122S does fit the A213HW. Forest River puts marks on the top of the door-wall to indicate how far down the velcro should be placed in order to use the awning on the A213HW. I tried it this past weekend, and it worked fine. It's really nice to be able to step right out the door of the trailer and be in the screen room. As it's completely opaque, we even kept the porta-potty on the A122S out in the screen room.

Kdot

kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

hate to be the bad guy here .. but we have totally given up on the screen room idea ... taken about 2 years ... and have gone with a settled with a first up 10x10 canopy cover .. bought the last 2 from walmart at 88 bucks canadian ...
with the camping we do ... we now like the idea of room placement on or away from the Aframe ... we basically use the A122 for sleeping quarters .. and the first up for a cooking/dining section .. outfitted it with a 2 burner propane stove and ice machine when 120 is available , and a Q120.

d-mo

Old 09-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

Awning/screen room

Well, DMo, as they say, to each his own. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.

Kdot
Old 09-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #4

I also bought a 10x10 canopy. But.. I never had the screen room, and didn't want spend the $$$.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #5

I'm with D-mo. Labor day weekend campout:

This was the first time I set it up behind the trailer. I usually set it up next to the door, but about 5 to 6 feet away. No room at this site to do that, so I set it up behind. It rained about 50% of the weekend. No issues for me to walk out the door, get a little sprinkled on before getting under cover in the First-Up canopy. I have both the solid sides and the screen sides for the canopy.

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Outdoorsman 5.7L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

Awning/screen room

Dan and Dmo, yes, I have also used a separate screen room in my past lives. And they've worked OK, when the wind hasn't blown them down. Dometic's screen room/awning, since it is attached to the side wall of the trailer, makes it like having another separate room to go into, and we've found a lot of ways to use that advantage. We do most cooking inside the trailer, then just pass the food through the door on a tray into the screen room where we eat. When we had the 122, we put the loo in the room and, when nature called at night, just went out the door into the "bathroom." Anything we forget to bring into the screen room is just two steps up in the camper. Arms full of stuff? No unzip and rezip to get in and out.
I'll admit Dometic's unit can be a PIA to put up, but we've gotten quicker with it each time we've done it, and I carry a short stepladder in the pick-up to reach the high part. Different strokes for different folks! Happy camping!

Kdot
Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #7

kdot,

I didn't mean for my post to sound like I was implying that you are "wrong" in any way. That was not my intention. I have found that everyone has their own camping "system" that works for them. Even my system has evolved over time and continues to evolve. Getting the trailer is my biggest evolution to date! You are absolutely right: To each their own, and Happy Camping!

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Outdoorsman 5.7L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #8

Heck.. I bought the 10x10 easy up type canopy. First time trying to set it up I fussed and cussed and decided to send it back. The next day I tried it again.. got the set up time down to under 7 minutes. (by myself) I'm gonna keep it. I think any set up procedure gets easier the more times you do it. You learn little things along the way.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
For anyone who has wondered about this, the Dometic screen room/awning that is made for the A122S does fit the A213HW. Forest River puts marks on the top of the door-wall to indicate how far down the velcro should be placed in order to use the awning on the A213HW. I tried it this past weekend, and it worked fine. It's really nice to be able to step right out the door of the trailer and be in the screen room. As it's completely opaque, we even kept the porta-potty on the A122S out in the screen room.

Kdot
Isn't that like eating in the bathroom? Just a joke..

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, roo