Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

Back To Double Lake Recreation Area

Camper is in the driveway hitched up and rearing to go. Headed back to Double Lake Recreation Area in Coldsprings. Was up there a couple of weeks ago by myself and sure enjoyed the peace and quiet. Only one other camper in the entire park.

This time my wife and kitty are going with me. This will be a first time camping trip with our cat. We lost one of our cats the Monday after Christmas and we don't want to leave this one alone so we're testing her out on an overnighter. Hopefully once camper is set up she can find her SPOT in the camper and relax and enjoy the trip. Plenty of windows in the aframe for her to look out.

Had the camper 2 years last week and my wife has only been in it twice...this will be the third time. Of course she is wanting to take everything including the sink. No matter what I carry to make it comfortable for her she always finds something else she wants to take. She doesn't understand weight control or maybe I should say she could care less.

But after 32 years I've learned when to say no. Should be great weather although a bit cool tomorrow but we will be returning tomorrow.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #2

Our family used to camp at Double Lake when I was a kid. Awesome camping area, and the deep woods are beautiful year round. Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

I hope the cat does ok, especially on the drive up. This was just posted on their Facebook page. Looks great! https://m.facebook.com/DoubleLake/posts/996275557078048
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #4

Just got back from Double Lakes and got unloaded. Will have to wash camper tomorrow.

Had a great time....only 4 other campers in the entire camp grounds. Very quiet.

Things didn't go quite as expected but ended up a very blessed trip.

We lost one of our cats the Monday after Christmas. We had to have her put to sleep. We are those people who feel like their pets are part of the family so when we lost Jojo we have a void in our lives. We still have Gigi but I know she misses him too.

So instead of leaving her by herself we were going to take her with us and see how she liked staying in the camper. DID NOT HAPPEN. Could not even get her inside the carrier. She's 9 years old and has never been out of the house. So we had to leave her by herself.

We had just gotten set up when this little yellow cat showed up. She looked to be about a year old. She was trying to eat something on our table that was left over from the folks that used our site last. I remembered I still had the cat food I had packed for Gigi in the car so I got it out and fed her. Well, she adopted us. She sat in my lap most of the evening and then promoted herself to her own chair. She ate several times and I gave her water. She was very loving.

We sat by the camp fire last night and there she was still with us. When we got ready to go inside it had begun to get cold so my wife said I don't want to leave her outside with it getting so cold so inside the camper she went. Talk about a snuggle bunny. She slept part of the night with my wife and part of the night with me. By then my wife wanted to take her home with us.

I talked to the park host and he said someone had dumped 4 kittens off and just left them a while back. A young couple that was tent camping was going to take them all and adopt them but this one got away and they never could find her so they took the other three.

So we now have little Chole to add to our family. Now she and Gigi needs to bond...that has not happened yet. haha.

Vet will check her over this week when we can schedule an appointment.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

Wow, that's great! It may take a while for them to get used to each other, but hopefully they will get along eventually. They may need separate food bowls, litter pans, beds, etc. But you probably already know that. Thanks for sharing the story!
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

Very cool story.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

What a great camping story! Some things are just meant to be.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

Nice story.

I was camping up at Lake Bob Sandlin SP last weekend. We hiked at Tyler SP on Saturday. Then kayaked at Daingerfield SP Sunday, wearing shorts and T Shirts. What great weather. No cats were found though.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
MCTroy

This story was better than anything on Facebook today. Call it destiny. Bless you for giving that kitty a home. It was meant to be!
MCTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #10

Sweet story...love our fur babies...
Mountain Girl is offline   Reply With Quote